Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Hilton: What To Expect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott to Hilton: What To Expect

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Bright side: you earn 60-70 total pts/$ if you do it right. (Maybe more on a short stay with a fixed-bonus promotion...)
Downside: you gotta spend 'em *fast*, because the program seems to do a full structural devaluation every 15 minutes.

My first HH redemption ever was 6 nights on the top floor of the Ocean Tower at HWV for 100,000 points.
My most recent redemption, last week, was 95,000 points for 1 night. (Thankfully, a certificate stay...)
Hilton is playing with the fact that many people don't know what a "point" is. So handing out 50, 60, 70 points per $ sounds great to the uninformed, especially when Hilton can then claim that award rooms start at 5,000 points per night.

Actual reality is that most decent hotels start at 50/60K per night... And just wait until the 95K cap silently falls away...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Marriott15

I loved the embassy suites breakfast. You had the option for cook to order omlets, pancakes, french toast ect. I guess my question is does any of the brands offer free court to order breakfast like embassy suites does?

On reward stays if you have to pay to park will the waive the parking fee? I am assuming not.
If you want cooked to order breakfast like Embassy Suites, then you need to say at Hilton Garden Inns. Regarding free parking on award stays, that does not happen with Hilton. At least it hasn’t happened to me in 9 years as a Diamond.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Marriott15
I loved the embassy suites breakfast. You had the option for cook to order omlets, pancakes, french toast ect. I guess my question is does any of the brands offer free court to order breakfast like embassy suites does?
Hilton Garden Inn and Doubletree--at least every DT I've been to, including the one in Savannah's historic district (since you mentioned being in Savannah).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:50 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I think you'll find that most of the time Hilton's prices are noticeably less than Marriott's. If there's a Hampton and a Courtyard in the same town, the Courtyard will usually be more expensive while the rooms are broadly comparable.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The Conrad opening in DC early next year has a lounge - termed the "Sakura Club" purports to offer "complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, snacks and evening cocktails while also providing concierge service, private space for small meetings and a range of business services"
Will see if it is actually operated as a normal executive lounge or if they run it as a separate thing to keep elites out. The specific naming/branding doesn't bode well for the former. Have a reservation booked for opening weekend, so we will find out!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Will see if it is actually operated as a normal executive lounge or if they run it as a separate thing to keep elites out. The specific naming/branding doesn't bode well for the former. Have a reservation booked for opening weekend, so we will find out!
Let us me know how it is. I'm never near City Center, but the photographs have looked great.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1P
I think you'll find that most of the time Hilton's prices are noticeably less than Marriott's. If there's a Hampton and a Courtyard in the same town, the Courtyard will usually be more expensive while the rooms are broadly comparable.
This is going to vary all over the place, but Fairfield Inn is the comp to Hampton. HGI = Courtyard.

It's been places where the Courtyards are cheaper than everything - including Hamptons and Fairfields. It's often because they aren't very good. (North Dallas has a few of these.) In other places, with newer Courtyards that they're half-pitching as full-service hotels, CY's can be pricey.

Where there's an HGI, I almost always feel like it's the best overall option (for a U.S. suburban stay) - newer hotel, good price, good breakfast, elite benefits. I know CY now *sort of* recognizes Marriott elite status, but I'm still not a big fan of the brand and am not actually 100% sure what you get as an elite on a post-merger stay.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by linsj
Hilton Garden Inn and Doubletree--at least every DT I've been to, including the one in Savannah's historic district (since you mentioned being in Savannah).
​​​​​​Some Doubletree's are Continental only, with a surcharge for hot items.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:52 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by pinniped
This is going to vary all over the place, but Fairfield Inn is the comp to Hampton. HGI = Courtyard.
You're right about it varying. I can think of some towns where the Hampton is actually of a higher standard than the HGI! And you get free breakfast at both!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:56 pm

Others answered above.

6. Does Diamond really guarantee you upgrades like Platinum Premier Elite/Ambassador gives you with Marriott?
I'm on my status match challenge. I've had 2 stays so both booked as standard rooms. 1 of which was upgraded to exec room, the other would've been had there been space claimed the front desk.
I do have an upcoming 5 night stay which got upgraded to a suite for the whole duration of the stay. (This alone has made the pursuit worth it.)
Other 5 stays are to be confirmed.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
In terms of choice in the cheaper properties bracket (low-mid range) in Europe and Asia I would say IHG > Hilton > MR/SPG (Accor would be ahead of IHG in Europe but if you include brands like Ibis then you're verging on sado-masochistic territory).

I now ask for 6PM checkout if I want later than 12PM. Yeah, they still might end up knocking me down to 2PM but I've also got 3PM-4PM a few times (Hilton Gdansk gave me 4PM last time). If it turns out I only need till 2pm and they offer me a later checkout then I tell them 'actually, I've changed my mind - 2PM will be OK'. If you ask for 2PM in these situations you might only get 1PM. Take the Donald Trump approach to negotiating!

With Hilton, even more than for other chains, you need to dump the points as fast as you earn them. With the recent sucker punch devaluation that Hilton hit us with, I found that even 24 hours was too long to hold on to points.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yurtripper
if you include brands like Ibis then you're verging on sado-masochistic territory).
Ibis can be kinda OK for what it is

Ibis budget on the other hand....I did that once and never again

Although, there is a hotel in Melbourne where the toilet is literally in the shower in their smaller rooms. So that is a step up from an Ibis Budget I guess
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yurtripper

With Hilton, even more than for other chains, you need to dump the points as fast as you earn them. With the recent sucker punch devaluation that Hilton hit us with, I found that even 24 hours was too long to hold on to points.
I find there is sometimes good value but then I look at a booking I made at the Hilton in Aruba

Rate was only $239 per night. For a week, I was quoted in the neighbourhood of 400,000 points $0.005c per point, which is just insane. If the rate is low, points redemption should follow.

Instead, i am going to use some of my Amex points. If I put the whole thing on Amex MR points, it cuts my points usage in half. Obviously there are different earn/burn. But 400,000 points is insane.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
One more thing I should have mentioned - Hilton uses funky dynamic pricing for points redemptions whereas Marriott has fixed price categories (now with extra tiers for peak and off-peak but still fixed).
Once you've made your points booking with Marriott you can sit back and relax - the only thing that could alter the rate is a category change, and a category downgrade that would make you cancel and rebook isn't something that happens very often. But with Hilton the rates are all over the place, depending on dates/availability, and that means you have to alter your approach.

(1) Use the flexible dates option and play around with your date selections to find the optimal redemption (i.e. alter dates and length of stay to see what happens).
(2) Once you've decided on a redemption and booked it, monitor like a hawk, especially in the weeks leading up to your stay. Places that haven't sold many beds may drop the rates handily so you can cancel and rebook (technically, rebook and cancel, to be on the safe side). TBH, you should probably do this on any program in case cash rates change enough for you to make it worth replacing the points booking with a cash one.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
2. I read through the terms and conditions- What time is late checkout?
In the US, getting 1 PM is often the limit. Occasionally 2, but the FD agent will sound as if their child will be beaten as a result of such profligacy. In Asia, I am offered 4 PM without any suggestion on my part.

3. What hotel brands normally have executive lounges/concierge lounges?
Hilton and Conrad, most reliably. I have seen the odd DT with one.

4. Complimentary breakfast-What brands offer this in their actual restaurant?
HGI and the full service properties. If available, I like to take breakfast in the restaurant rather than the lounge. I find US lounges mediocre to utter crap depending on the property. With US Waldorfs, the breakfast credit isn't even 50% of the meal's value (after tax & tip).

5. Embassy Suites and Homewood Suites: Gives you free drinks during reception. Any other brands per take in this?
Very rarely, a property here or there might do a managers reception. On a brand level, you are stuck with ES and HS. Again, diamond status overseas....the lounges have acceptable to decent beverages. In Nanjing, I was making myself Stoli cocktails from the solid spirits/juice/mixer section. In BKK, I had a choice of Singha, a nice Chilean red, or various Absolut cocktails. This beats the well-liquor and bud light of the ES/HS chains.

6. Does Diamond really guarantee you upgrades like Platinum Premier Elite/Ambassador gives you with Marriott?
Absolutely not. Diamond only guarantees lounge access, if one is available. Diamond treatment varies wildly dependent on the property, your relationship (if any) with the property, and demand during your stay. I've gotten nothing even as a repeat customer at various US properties. For my stay this weekend at the HIlton Dali (Yunnan, China), I got a multi-category upgrade from a basic king to a 120sqm/1250sqft king suite (4 or 5 categories up?!). This is quite common in Asia.

7. Marriott and IHG now give you a gift for reaching their highest levels. Does Hilton do this?
Yes, although with the cost savings of not being loyal, you could probably buy the gift item for half your town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.