Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New Hilton Honors Amex Cobrand Offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
  • Hilton Honors American Express Card: Earn 75,000 Points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months, no annual fee
  • Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card: Earn 125,000 Points after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months, $95 annual fee
  • Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card: Earn 150,000 Points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months, $450 annual fee
  • Hilton Honors American Express Business Card: Earn 125,000 Points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 month, $95 annual fee

https://apply.americanexpress.com/hilton-card/
Print Wikipost

New Hilton Honors Amex Cobrand Offer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rtgta
I initially commented this in a different thread but I think its more fitting here:

Does anyone have experience with AMEX warning message before application. I was believe I shown that warning message wrongly as I've never had any AMEX Hilton card and 0 AMEX card opened in the past 24 month, only HHonor card I've had was the Citi HH no AF card back in 2014 which was PC'd to double cash in 2015. My relationship with AMEX goes back to 2015 when I opened EDP card and that is the only AMEX card I have at the moment, I have also had AMEX plat for 2 years and closed that earlier in May this year.

I did not proceed with my application once that message appeared so my question is has someone seen that message incorrectly, should I call AMEX and has someone in the same boat successfully resolved this ?

The warning message roughly said "rtgta, based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer. We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Edit- Update incase someone encounters similar issues.
I first tried chatting with CSR and he acknowledged that I donot have a HHonors card and by reviewing my account informed me I should be eligible for the bonus but he recommended that I lodge phone application which I did but nada. Phone rep put me on hold for ~60 minute during which I was transferred to two departments. Finally I spoke to a nice lady from 'global application team' she accepted that there might be technical glitch as there was no reason she could see that makes me ineligible for the card. She also informed me that subsequent applications (I tried applying for Aspire then Ascend online and finally Aspire over the phone) received same error because if the system glitches once same information is retained for 30 days. She has created a ticket and recommended me not to apply until they resolve this.
You should look at the thread I linked in post 42 above.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You should look at the thread I linked in post 42 above.
I did, thank you. I can't fathom why AMEX would reject my application but I guess I need to live with it which sucks because I think Aspire is hands down best co-branded card and I intended it to keep it for the long haul had they approved me.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Four days too soon!
I applied for the Ascend card on Sept. 3, received instant approval, and got my new Amex # online. I immediately began my spend to get the 100,000 point bonus. If I had waited four days, I would have gotten 25,000 more points. Bummer! Sort of leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Regardless, since I have moved most of my stays to Hilton, I needed an Amex card.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Can you clarify if I'm eligible for the promotion attached to the Aspire card? I currently have an AMEX Surpass card and have had it for 5+ years. There is a post indicating the promotion is for "new acquisitions". Does that mean customers new to the entire HH AMEX family, or new to the high-end Aspire card? Card members who have or have had the same product in the past are not eligible to receive the welcome bonus. For example, if you have, or have had, the Ascend product (this includes the Surpass product), you will not be eligible to receive the welcome bonus for a new Ascend application. Eligibility for the promotional offer may also be based on other factors including, but not limited to, American Express history with welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards members have opened and closed.

Also, if you currently hold the No AF H Amex, can you apply for and get the Aspire with bonus? I believe many years in the past that cardholder also had the Ascend, but it has been cancelled for several years. Card members who have or have had the same product in the past are not eligible to receive the welcome bonus. For example, if you have, or have had, the Aspire product, you will not be eligible to receive the welcome bonus for a new Aspire application. Eligibility for the promotional offer may also be based on other factors including, but not limited to, American Express history with welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards members have opened and closed.

Thank you again for your patience,
Lauren
Bumping this up because I don't think either answer addresses the exact question asked.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:25 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Bumping this up because I don't think either answer addresses the exact question asked.
Hi Eujeanie,

Saw your post from over the weekend so checking in with Amex to provide more clarity.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Hi Eujeanie,

Saw your post from over the weekend so checking in with Amex to provide more clarity.

Thanks,
Lauren
Thanks. Can you also see if you can get more info on the upgrade offer for existing Ascend holders to Aspire that you mentioned upthread?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtgta
I did, thank you. I can't fathom why AMEX would reject my application but I guess I need to live with it which sucks because I think Aspire is hands down best co-branded card and I intended it to keep it for the long haul had they approved me.
You misunderstand. They didn't reject your application, if you clicked "proceed" they would quite likely approve you for the card, just not give you any signup bonus. All they rejected you for was the signup bonus!

Getting approved for a card and getting the signup bonus are two completely different things. You can't get a signup bonus without getting approved for a card, but there are multiple reasons why you might be approved for a card and yet denied the signup bonus.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You misunderstand. They didn't reject your application, if you clicked "proceed" they would quite likely approve you for the card, just not give you any signup bonus. All they rejected you for was the signup bonus!

Getting approved for a card and getting the signup bonus are two completely different things. You can't get a signup bonus without getting approved for a card, but there are multiple reasons why you might be approved for a card and yet denied the signup bonus.
Yes, maybe I should've been more articulate but I'm well aware that I was not rejected for the card just the sign-up bonus. What I meant to say is AMEX is denying me sign-up for bonus based on T&C they haven't clearly stated and change based on god knows what algorithm tells them to because all things considered I SHOULD be eligible for the bonus. Furthermore, no sign-up bonus takes away the value proposition (Aspire might be an exception) but I wanted to get the card for the exact opposite reason of what AMEX thinks I want the card for.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm still confused. Never had the Aspire, but do have both the Ascend (in husband's name) and I have the no fee Hilton Amex. I did have the Surpass several years ago.

Can either of us apply for the Aspire, which neither of us have EVER had, and get the bonus?

Sorry to be so dense.
Hi Eujeanie,

Heard back from Amex:

If you do not have or never have had the Aspire product in the past, you may be eligible to receive the welcome bonus. Eligibility for the promotional offer may also be based on other factors including, but not limited to, American Express history with welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards members have opened and closed.

Let me know if that helps!
Lauren
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hi Eujeanie,

Heard back from Amex:

If you do not have or never have had the Aspire product in the past, you may be eligible to receive the welcome bonus. Eligibility for the promotional offer may also be based on other factors including, but not limited to, American Express history with welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards members have opened and closed.

Let me know if that helps!
Lauren
Lauren,

Unfortunately, no. Too much wiggle room. Now if they'd said: "...you are eligible to receive the welcome bonus. However, eligibility for the promotional offer may also be based on other factors including, but not limited to, American Express history with welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards members have opened and closed." That would make it clear that in and of itself, possession of the Ascend card wasn't disqualifying, rather than ambiguity you can drive a truck through.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:42 am

It’s my understanding that ascend and aspire are considered two different products.

For me, I think I’ve came to the conclusion to keep the ascend. 6x on the grocery/gas is currently the best option I have in my wallet for those categories, and I’d rather not lose that at the moment.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mgmsteven
Four days too soon!
I applied for the Ascend card on Sept. 3, received instant approval, and got my new Amex # online. I immediately began my spend to get the 100,000 point bonus. If I had waited four days, I would have gotten 25,000 more points. Bummer! Sort of leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Regardless, since I have moved most of my stays to Hilton, I needed an Amex card.
It happens. I have had airline cards in the past that I pulled the trigger on for 30k or 40k signup miles. Usually I was flying that airline, figured I'd snag it to hit an EQM threshold or just get additional miles for flight spend. Then, later, you get an email for 50k, 75k, etc. and you're just like...oh well...

I'm still mildly amused when the flight attendant gets on the intercom and starts talking about a 30k offer on a credit card when I get spammed regularly for that exact card for 50k or more.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Portolan
Lauren,

Unfortunately, no. Too much wiggle room. Now if they'd said: "...you are eligible to receive the welcome bonus. However, eligibility for the promotional offer may also be based on other factors including, but not limited to, American Express history with welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards members have opened and closed." That would make it clear that in and of itself, possession of the Ascend card wasn't disqualifying, rather than ambiguity you can drive a truck through.
Hi Portolan,

Will share this back with Amex as additional feedback.

Thank you for posting!
Lauren
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks, Lauren.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Portolan
Lauren,

I don't mind the "wiggle room," I mind the opaqueness. American Express can use any qualification standard they want for their bonuses, but it's only fair to tell the cardmembers if they qualify. However, this is quickly turning into a dare. Sign up for our cards and we dare you to actually get the sign up bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.