FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Are gold benefits + 32,500 pts worth $94? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1928341-gold-benefits-32-500-pts-worth-94-a.html)

acarney Aug 31, 2018 7:28 pm

Are gold benefits + 32,500 pts worth $94?

Making a stay at the Universal Hilton (right next to Universal Studios Hollywood) in late October. Originally booked via AmexTravel for the 5x MR. However, I've been targeted for a earn 5,000 Hilton points if I max a 2 night or longer stay, AND Hilton has their double points promo running during my dates (Oct 24th to 27th). The question is if it's worth cancelling the AmexTravel booking and instead booking direct with Hilton since the rate has gone up a bit...

AmexTravel booking: $1043.43 -- Earns ~5217 Amex MR Points, no gold benefits....

Hilton Booking: $1137.22 -- Earns 32,500 points (Room rate $982.14 x 28 pts [Hilton double points promo + 80% gold bonus) + 5,000 targeted Hilton email offer.

I'll book this with my Amex still so I'll earn 1,137 MR points (4080 less MR points) and it will cost me $93.79 more. I currently have 39k Hilton points, normally only stay at Hilton once or twice a year. I've pretty much cleared my Amex points account out. I've only stayed at the Hilton Universal once before and wasn't able to get upgraded to a better room as a Hilton Gold, but did get a high floor as requested.

Do you guys think the other gold perks and Hilton points are worth missing out on a few MR points and paying almost $100 more? Has anyone been able to get upgraded at this hotel, specifically in late October? I know with Universal's Halloween event things get busy.... (which is why I'll be there)

bitterproffit Aug 31, 2018 7:45 pm

Would those gold perks include breakfast? Is that 3 nights? How many people?

I would value the Hilton points at about .005 per point. The 32,500 points could be worth $160 at that rate.

Since I would definitely use those Hilton points, it would be worth it to me.

Only question is how much do you value those 4080 MR points you are giving up?

acarney Aug 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 30154118)
Would those gold perks include breakfast? Is that 3 nights? How many people?

I would value the Hilton points at about .005 per point. The 32,500 points could be worth $160 at that rate.

Since I would definitely use those Hilton points, it would be worth it to me.

Only question is how much do you value those 4080 MR points you are giving up?

Right now I don’t value those MR at anything since I drained my account pretty much... come next year if I’m just a couple thousand short of an award flight or something the story might be different :P

Two people for 3 nights, they did mention gold includes breakfast at the hotel.

jbeckett Aug 31, 2018 8:10 pm

Let's do the math =
Keep current booking - $1043 minus the value of the 5300 Amex points, say at 1 cent each (use your value here) so adjusted cost is $990.
New booking - $1137 minus the value of the 1137 Amex points minus the value of the 32500 HH points, say at .4 cents each (use your value here), minus the value of 6? breakfasts, say at $12 each
so --- $1137 - $11 - $125 - $72 for an adjusted cost of $929..
I would never expect an upgrade as Gold so have assigned no value to that possibility. Gold gets free Wi-Fi, if that has any value to you subtract what that is worth.

Fill in your own numbers, but it looks like if you want the free continental breakfast, booking through Hilton is better. If not, it is about a tossup.

acarney Aug 31, 2018 9:25 pm

I guess that’s my thing, I don’t really have a ballpark value idea for those Hilton points. I never seem to hit the value with credit card points or miles that the blogs quote, mainly because I actually book real travel & not just where the best point value is or a flight to somewhere I’m not interested in going because they have amazing award space, etc.

So it’s nice getting a good idea from you guys on sort of a realistic point value for those Hilton points. I also don’t really know if I should expect an upgrade or not as gold since I don’t travel too often, so again good info for me.

Are there any other benefits with booking direct vs a travel portal? Is it easier to request items or high floor or anything with the hotel when booking directly? I’ll also be coming in very late, 11:30pm to maybe like 1am (attending a Halloween event at Knotts Scary Farm before check in) would it be easier to contact the hotel or for them to view my reservation booking direct vs 3rd party?

bitterproffit Sep 1, 2018 7:40 am

I jump at a Hilton redemption of $.007 per point. I leap at a rare redemption in excess of $.01 per point. But, I usually pay cash at a redemption below $.0045 per point, if that makes any sense.

On line check in with the Hilton app lets you pick your own room, and your room preferences can be put on your honors profile. Free WiFi and sometimes waters if booking directly. But the biggest benefit of booking directly to me is the points.

Skimanant Sep 2, 2018 12:10 pm

Yes!
Upgrades, breakfast, wifi, leisure access for a whole year.............

Adelphos Sep 3, 2018 8:18 am

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 30154083)
Making a stay at the Universal Hilton (right next to Universal Studios Hollywood) in late October. Originally booked via AmexTravel for the 5x MR. However, I've been targeted for a earn 5,000 Hilton points if I max a 2 night or longer stay, AND Hilton has their double points promo running during my dates (Oct 24th to 27th). The question is if it's worth cancelling the AmexTravel booking and instead booking direct with Hilton since the rate has gone up a bit...

AmexTravel booking: $1043.43 -- Earns ~5217 Amex MR Points, no gold benefits....

Hilton Booking: $1137.22 -- Earns 32,500 points (Room rate $982.14 x 28 pts [Hilton double points promo + 80% gold bonus) + 5,000 targeted Hilton email offer.

I'll book this with my Amex still so I'll earn 1,137 MR points (4080 less MR points) and it will cost me $93.79 more. I currently have 39k Hilton points, normally only stay at Hilton once or twice a year. I've pretty much cleared my Amex points account out. I've only stayed at the Hilton Universal once before and wasn't able to get upgraded to a better room as a Hilton Gold, but did get a high floor as requested.

Do you guys think the other gold perks and Hilton points are worth missing out on a few MR points and paying almost $100 more? Has anyone been able to get upgraded at this hotel, specifically in late October? I know with Universal's Halloween event things get busy.... (which is why I'll be there)

This is a pretty clear win for booking directly with Hilton due to the double points promo and gold bonus. It would be even better if you had a Hilton credit card to use. I value Hilton points at .5 cents and pretty freely redeem at levels at or above .5 cents.

acarney Sep 3, 2018 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 30161571)

This is a pretty clear win for booking directly with Hilton due to the double points promo and gold bonus. It would be even better if you had a Hilton credit card to use. I value Hilton points at .5 cents and pretty freely redeem at levels at or above .5 cents.

I had been thinking of a Hilton credit card, but I need to use my Amex for this anyway. I was targeting via Amex for making a Hilton booking (direct) of $500 or more and getting 10k bonus MR points. I didn’t mention that as a factor here because I ALSO was targeted for a make a $650+ purchase via Amex travel and earn 10k MR bonus. So thankfully I won’t have to give up that 10k MR bonus!

(that said, I totally screwed myself by not booking my Disney stay via AmexTravel during that promo so THAT triggered the 10k MR bonus. Should have done that knowing Disney Hotel doesn’t have any loyalty program & held the Hilton booking out there hoping a Hilton direct offer would come by. Then I could have scored 20k MR!!!)

rustum76 Sep 3, 2018 6:18 pm

Deleted.