Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Munich City West {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Munich City West {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Arrow Hilton Garden Inn Munich City West {DEU}

So after six weeks post-opening I was able to stay one night here last weekend. A brand new building an new opening easily call for some inconsistencies as the hotel staff yet has to gain routine and some works might not yet be fully accomplished.
We arrived by S-Bahn station "Donnersbergerbrücke", served by all S-Bahn lines from Hauptbahnhof and by S1 and S8 from Munich Airport. Take the exit outbound (not towards direction Hauptbahnhof). There are lifts but the very last portion to bridge level has seven or so steps. So, going there by public transport is easy, with heavy luggage those seven steps could be a little tricky. Eventually you will see the hotel building to the left and only few minutes walk will take you there. It is a double hotel building combining the HGI and the Hampton. For the entrance you have to walk the bridge (or street) all down and circle around the building. The entrance is in the back yard.
The hotel has six levels (if I remember correctly), some rooms will show to the rail and indirectly to the traffic on the bridge, some rooms will show towards the main railway station (two stops away) and a newly built apartment building, some rooms will show to the courtyard looking at the sister hotel Hampton's entrance. The HGI is entangled with the Hampton by architecture. There are shut doors between both at each floor, only to be opened by staff or in case of emergency. The HGI restaurant goes literally into the Hampton ground. - In Krakow there is a double hotel by Doubletree and Hampton and between the lobbies of both there was something which I framed the "time tunnel". Passing through there you ended up in a different hotel world. Here, it looks more separated from each other but in terms of operations they are most likely not.
The lobby is small, the adjacent bar area very welcoming with a lot of airy and cosy space behind. The restaurant, however, looks a bit dark. We had a took with the F&B manager who is a very motivated and efficient guy building up a relaxing atmosphere. In general, staff appeared to be very motivated, at reception, at breakfast and house-keeping. The latter might be hired from a third party as many hotels do.
I asked for a room showing to the railway station, because I enjoy to see the sky and a wider horizon. The room itself was a bit on the small side. I think they are mostly of equal size but differ in layout. Right behind the door there was a table with to small armchairs. Then the desk-board with TV and fridge and a mirror completed that side of the room. To the other side there was the bathroom (shower only) which was on the small side and the king bed. The room had two windows which could be opened partly. The air condition ran well. The location of the table with arm chairs was rather unwelcoming, because it was just behind the door. And when sitting there you looked into the bath room if the door was not shut. The hotel reminded me very much of a newly opened Hampton. The bathroom nearly was a 1:1 copy and the room size might have been a little larger but there are striking similarities.
Breakfast was ok, not overwhelming. But of course with more choices than Hampton breakfast would offer although some items looked rather identical. The man at the egg station was overwhelmed, however, with all the orders he received. Nevertheless, breakfast staff was great and tried to do their best.
It was a good hotel stay and it was most interesting talking to staff when still being in the start-up. I wish them every success! Last not least they add to the local Hilton hotel family.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Hilton (D)
Were you a Diamond at time of arrival at HGI Munich West? Did you receive an upgrade or recognition?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by Zurich
So after six weeks post-opening I was able to stay one night here last weekend. A brand new building an new opening easily call for some inconsistencies as the hotel staff yet has to gain routine and some works might not yet be fully accomplished.
We arrived by S-Bahn station "Donnersbergerbrücke", served by all S-Bahn lines from Hauptbahnhof and by S1 and S8 from Munich Airport. Take the exit outbound (not towards direction Hauptbahnhof). There are lifts but the very last portion to bridge level has seven or so steps. So, going there by public transport is easy, with heavy luggage those seven steps could be a little tricky. Eventually you will see the hotel building to the left and only few minutes walk will take you there. It is a double hotel building combining the HGI and the Hampton. For the entrance you have to walk the bridge (or street) all down and circle around the building. The entrance is in the back yard.
Not knowing the area I'll probably end up on the street somewhere looking confused as to which direction to go. The walk from the station to the hotel, is it outdoors? From the map it looks like a pedestrian walkway across the train tracks?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: EBD, HH Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond, Nordic Choice Club Platinum, Sixt Diamond, Avis President
Originally Posted by miasmal
Not knowing the area I'll probably end up on the street somewhere looking confused as to which direction to go. The walk from the station to the hotel, is it outdoors? From the map it looks like a pedestrian walkway across the train tracks?
After exiting S-Bahn, cross the bridge to the left. The hotel is first building on the left after bridge has been crossed. Entrance to the HGI and Hampton can be found by taking the first walkway you see.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by miasmal
Once exiting the train station, you'll cross over the tracks on a vehicle overpass with sidewalks and easily see the hotel signs. Station is on the left side of the top photo and hotel is out of view on the right.

miasmal likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:23 am

Has anyone stayed at this hotel complex recently? Trying to figure out if there is actually really any difference between the HGI and Hampton sides. The Hampton side is much cheaper. Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by atxflyergal
Has anyone stayed at this hotel complex recently? Trying to figure out if there is actually really any difference between the HGI and Hampton sides. The Hampton side is much cheaper. Thanks!
I stayed in March but only at the HGI so can’t really make any comparisons. It’s a perfectly standard HGI. A bit nicer than the aging ones in the US that still have the ACs under the window but also a much smaller room. No special Diamond treatment. I have a general preference for HGI over Hampton so all things being equal would choose to stay here again but there’s nothing amazing about it that would cause me to spend extra. If I recall the restaurant seemed really pricey (or maybe just didn’t have an appealing menu). I found a reasonable Indian place a few blocks away instead.
atxflyergal likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 1:33 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Hyatt Privé, Impresario, Four Seasons, Marriott Stars, Kempinski, Accor STEP, SLH, IHG,etc
Stayed here in December. Nothing memorable but it was new and clean. As Gold I was offered a complimentary soft drink / bottled water from the fridge by reception
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I had a good stay here also. Had a flight cancellation, and the hotel kindly gave me a late check out. I had dinner once in the restaurant, which was good. There is also a small grocery store close by. It was very warm in Munich at the time (30 C each day), so I was glad that the AC worked well. Having the S Bahn station close by was nice. The courtyard with the Hampton has tables set out, mostly used by smokers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.