Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Mobile App" thread

Consolidated "Hilton Mobile App" thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by karatelovr
How is everyone "seeing" upgraded rooms or different room types? All I ever get is a choice of room numbers by floor.
Originally Posted by pinniped
When they process an upgrade, you can see the changed room type in the details of your reservation. For example, you might've booked a standard King room, look in the app the morning of your stay, and you see Exec King room. Then, when you go into OLCI, you can select a room from the Exec King category.

At least that's how it has worked for me. I've never had a case where I've been upgraded to some level where I can then look at a wide variety of different upgrade types. It's usually a pre-OLCI upgrade, and then I'm seeing that type of room in OLCI.

If I haven't been upgraded, I just go to the highest floor and look for the room that appears to be farthest from the elevator. Unless it's a property where I know enough about the floorplan to do otherwise...
Oh this way is probably a better way of checking for an upgrade than what I've been doing. When going through the OLCI process, I choose the option to have them select a room for me. I always assumed that the room that shows up is the room they had already assigned to me. So I leave the screen without completing check-in and then I check back there every so often to see if my room was switched. That's what I did when I got my upgrade in Hawaii. But maybe I'm way off base?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kenbo
Oh this way is probably a better way of checking for an upgrade than what I've been doing. When going through the OLCI process, I choose the option to have them select a room for me. I always assumed that the room that shows up is the room they had already assigned to me. So I leave the screen without completing check-in and then I check back there every so often to see if my room was switched. That's what I did when I got my upgrade in Hawaii. But maybe I'm way off base?
No, I think you did it right. The key is that you didn't complete check-in, so you stayed in the upgradable pool. Then, they worked their upgrade process, and you got one. ^

Only difference is that I usually just look at the text in the "My Stay" details to see my room type. You saw the same thing on the map in the OLCI tool.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Maybe they did this because apps won’t have to respond to comments that a high floor is not a true UG.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by fransknorge
It seems there is a clear discrepancy between the US and the rest of the world (would not be the first time though !). My upgrade success is close to 90%, but then I stay in Europe properties. I am guessing part of this is due to the generally low culture of service in the US.
I've been upgraded many times in the US, including at Hampton Inn's where it isn't a benefit. At least 50% of the time and almost always at properties I've stayed at before.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by fransknorge
It seems there is a clear discrepancy between the US and the rest of the world (would not be the first time though !). My upgrade success is close to 90%, but then I stay in Europe properties. I am guessing part of this is due to the generally low culture of service in the US.
When I appeared at check-in for my latest European stay, the clerk's very first words were "Welcome Mr. Scrounger. We are full tonight so you cannot be upgraded."

I am upgraded often enough in the States across chains to dispute the "low culture of service."
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond National EE
Diamond since 2014. I only average about 50 nights/yr since most of my stays are 1-nighters. I've NEVER been upgraded in advance. I always have to ask when I check-in. Frankly, I've stopped bothering - it's feels like I'm begging. 90% Hilton and DoubleTree with remainder HGI and Homewood. In fact at one Hilton, I've reserved a Jr. Suite 2x in past year and when I try to check-in,my only choices are King bed room - definitely not a suite. I've called the hotel and cancelled each time - I'm not paying to be downgraded! What am I doing wrong here?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The OP’s original question wasn’t really answered and I’m curious. Can you view a foreign hotel’s rates in USD on the app? I’m only able to view it in the local currency.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Updated app

Can't say I am overly impressed by the new Android app.

Not so easy to now scroll through future bookings. The list of future bookings where one could scroll from left to right is no more

In fact the majority of the screen is pointless - especially as it shows an advert which is not relevant to our country, but this ad is also very visible in the hotel search.

I feel it needs more work..... or bring back the old version. If 'aint broke, don't fix it!
delinquentwoody likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Just click on Stays icon at the bottom of the screen and swipe left and right to see reservations. It couldn't be much easier?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kkong42
Just click on Stays icon at the bottom of the screen and swipe left and right to see reservations. It couldn't be much easier?
Having the scrolling on the main screen was far easier.

I'll get used to it haha
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I updated the app a few versions ago and it was terrible. So I went and found the old file, restored to old version. Even though I'm occasionally tempted to do so, I learned my lesson and haven't updated since. Who'da guessed? It works just fine.

#AintBrokeDontFix
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
I agree it's much more clunky to try to review upcoming stays. Quite annoying.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kkong42
+1. I like the new layout. Find it easier to do whatever I'm wanting.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I like it since I often take up the Digitial Key option, and the new App allows a rapid access to that icon and things like the floor plan. There is now at some properties the ability to check out of the hotel too via the App, which is helpful.
Yllanes likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I like it since I often take up the Digitial Key option, and the new App allows a rapid access to that icon and things like the floor plan. There is now at some properties the ability to check out of the hotel too via the App, which is helpful.
Not yet stayed using the new app - maybe it will come into its own during a stay.

The info at the bottom is okay, but it does make finding details of stays harder.

Would of course help if all my stays were even on there!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.