Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Washington DC {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton Aspire
I'm planning on staying 3 nights with my wife and 9 year old daughter at the end of May. I read the whole thread and I understand Diamond can't be upgraded to Sakura. Does anybody know, however, if I buy a base Sakura room, will Diamond give me the potential to be upgraded into a better Sakura room?

Another question: Is the breakfast each morning substantial? Meaning eggs/meats and enough to get nice and full?

Right now it'd cost me about $315 total to upgrade to Sakura for the three nights. We plan on doing a lot of sightseeing (me and my daughter's first trip to DC), so I'm not sure how much time we'll actually be at the hotel.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Wow, first post after a long time of membership, impressive!

In my case I was given a one-level room upgrade. It was stated as such in my welcome letter. So it went from a deluxe Sakura something to a Sakura corner or something like that. It seems like with the upgrades they're trying to do expectation management by explicitly noting the one-level upgrade.

The Club breakfast was pretty substantial; they had a cook who would make omelets or such to order.

That being said, I don't know if I'd spend the $315 in your case...if it's your first time to DC, there is just so much to do and so many places to go, I'd encourage you to spend as much time out as possible.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Wow, first post after a long time of membership, impressive!

In my case I was given a one-level room upgrade. It was stated as such in my welcome letter. So it went from a deluxe Sakura something to a Sakura corner or something like that. It seems like with the upgrades they're trying to do expectation management by explicitly noting the one-level upgrade.

The Club breakfast was pretty substantial; they had a cook who would make omelets or such to order.

That being said, I don't know if I'd spend the $315 in your case...if it's your first time to DC, there is just so much to do and so many places to go, I'd encourage you to spend as much time out as possible.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been a long time lurker and and have absorbed a lot lot of good info over the years.

I was kinda thinking along the same lines that we'd probably be best spending more time outside the hotel where we could eat a little cheaper and diverse. The actual increase to jump to Sakura is $415 total, but I'm betting on taking advantage of the Amex promo of spend $500 at Waldorf/Conrad, get $100 statement credit on both my and my wife's card (Aspire). I've read you can have the hotel run one card for $500 and the other card for the balance so we each get the $100 statement credit. Without Sakura, the reservation is only $860ish (AAA room rate of $250/night), so unless we spend another $140 on property, I won't be able to get the second $100 statement credit.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Thank you for this photo! Do you have photos of breakfast, evening presentations in the Sakura Club?
You're welcome. The breakfast pictures below are the best I can do for you I'm afraid. The area with the 2 people is where the made to order items are prepared. To the right of that I think there were more bread items, like bagels. The fruit was ordered for our son and cut fresh and plated. Yogurt, juice, etc were in a fridge.

Unfortunately, I'd left my phone in the room at dinner, but here are some pictures my wife took to give an idea of what's available, in case it helps. There was obviously more than this, but more eating and kid corralling was done than picture taking :-) The ramen, udon, and scallops were made to order. The desert was from the self serve.

Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:22 pm

Thank you for the great food photos! Breakfast looks like standard fare but dinner looks more impressive.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gatorguy18
I was kinda thinking along the same lines that we'd probably be best spending more time outside the hotel where we could eat a little cheaper and diverse. The actual increase to jump to Sakura is $415 total, but I'm betting on taking advantage of the Amex promo of spend $500 at Waldorf/Conrad, get $100 statement credit on both my and my wife's card (Aspire). I've read you can have the hotel run one card for $500 and the other card for the balance so we each get the $100 statement credit. Without Sakura, the reservation is only $860ish (AAA room rate of $250/night), so unless we spend another $140 on property, I won't be able to get the second $100 statement credit.
Sounds like too much of a hassle; I'd just book a regular room and spend your time out in the city. You'll find another chance to invoke the statement credit elsewhere, I'm sure.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:47 pm

You have wise advice. I think I'll save the upgrade expense and use it somewhere else in the city. Meanwhile, we're going to Philadelphia this weekend for the first time, but we're just staying in a little Sheraton in Society Hill using points/reward certificate. The kid is getting a firsthand experience of our country's history at the same time I am in my old age, ha. I got the Companion Pass with Southwest this year with their credit card promo at the beginning of the year, so we're trying to max the benefit.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Maybe it will sort itself out, but could the room options/dining/Sakura be any more confusing?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gatorguy18
I think I'll save the upgrade expense and use it somewhere else in the city. Meanwhile, we're going to Philadelphia this weekend for the first time, but we're just staying in a little Sheraton in Society Hill using points/reward certificate.
Good spot - that's a nicely-located property, close to the historical stuff in Philly but also outside of the busy parts of Center City. Should be a good stay!

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Maybe it will sort itself out, but could the room options/dining/Sakura be any more confusing?
Not really sure what is confusing unless you're only used to limited-service properties...any Hilton with a lounge sells executive rooms, Ritz properties sell Club level rooms; pretty standard practice...
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:27 pm

Just got back from our 1 night stay at the Conrad. Here is my short review.

So we live in the Northern VA area, but we went to AwesomeCon at the DC Convention Center this weekend so decided to stay in DC. The Hotel is like 2 blocks from the Convention Center and I had a free Weekend Reward night that was about to expire from Hilton so we decided to use it at the Conrad. Booked a large king bed and got upgraded a few weeks prior to a corner room (as a Diamond Member)

When we got there really early (9am) Sat. morning our room wasn't ready but they actually found us another corner room on the 4th floor that was available so they let us check in very early.

The room was very nice, I love how when you walk in the blinds open automatically from the motion sensor. There is a huge pillar in the room that sort of looks out of place as they didn't really decorate it at all, just looks like unfinished concrete. The corner room has a wrap around window and some of the glass is actually curved in the middle. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nice an large with dual sinks an its own enclosed toilet area and a HUGE shower.

We really didn't spend that much time in the hotel, but did have a few issues. There was pee on the toilet seat in our room when we checked in, and we found the windows so be poorly sound insulated as being on the 4th floor we could hear almost everything from the street below. Lastly they forgot to apply our $50 Diamond Credit for our bill until I reminded them which brings me to the breakfast prices. See photos below, their breakfast menu is pretty small and the $25 per person barely covers any of the options. There is no buffet or anything like that.

We did end up Valet parking, as I had planned to use Spothero but I waited to long and City Center was out of overnight pre-sold spots. Also I can only imagine was clientele that hotel has as when we got back to the hotel that even their was a 157k Acura NSX parked outside.

Would I stay there again? Maybe if it was free, but my wife and I didn't think it was that special, especially for Hilton's top tier hotel and this was our first time staying at a Conrad.

Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
And why not? Just because they named it? The link on Conrad's website indicates it's an executive lounge right in the URL.

https://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/...ve-lounge.html
A URL doesn't determine anything... it simply may be a space on Hilton provided servers for each hotels web offerings. The description on that page doesn't mention any sort of executive lounge aspect to the Sakura Club. It is what is. The Napua Club at Grand Wailea is not an Executive Lounge for Diamonds either, nor is the Imperial Club at Cavalieri.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:48 pm

Staying at the Sakura Club this weekend. Is all alcohol in the Club complimentary? I'm aware of the evening whisky tasting.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services
[I've been a Diamond member for years as Hilton is my primary hotel chain.]

I stayed at the Conrad Washington DC about 3 weeks ago. I like Conrads, but I'm not convinced they are luxury hotels. They are nice hotels, but mileage will vary depending on the location. I've stayed in all the Conrad Hotels in the States and 3 overseas locations. But, back to the DC location....

A new hotel that needs to work on customer service with its new employees and shore-up the unfinished product, i.e., the hotel and its rooms. I had a corner king, non-Sakura floor. (Given my experience with Hilton and their [disappearing] lounges, I couldn't see paying extra for that "elevated" experience. I'll try it in the dead of winter when prices are better.) The room had Hilton's beige and sandstone, neutral boring colors. Spare interior design, which I like. Comfortable bed, adequately sized bathroom (and I like the toilet and shower in their own separated environments), and living space. The electric drapes didn't work (not repaired by maintenance even though they paid a visit); there was no desk chair upon arrival; the TV sound faded in and out (not repaired during my stay); the carpet looked worn for only a few months in operation (and it was worn and frayed in various places); housekeeping completely forgot to refresh the room one day; mini bar never replenished; room service was successful 1 of 3 times; multiple calls and follow-up calls to the service line (no call-backs so I had to repeatedly call them).

The employees are nice, but they don't know what they don't know. One lady at the Front Desk was enormously helpful; otherwise, not so helpful at the Front Desk. Didn't use the concierge. Everyone smiles and wants to help; they just do not know how. Door persons are nice. Horrible service in the lounge on the first floor. We were seated, but not one attendant came over to us. Finally, my companion walked over to the bar to order a drink. Breakfast in the restaurant was a challenge (slow service); room service forgot items.

I've been to DC a bazillion times and for this one-night event I was attending, I was planning to relax in my room for the remaining 3 nights. Instead, I didn't stay in my room very much because I didn't find it that relaxing. Thank goodness there are lots of things to do and see in DC!

It's an OK hotel; overpriced for what you get; great location. Luxurious? I don't think so. To my knowledge, the Sakura Club rooms are no bigger than the non-Sakura rooms. The "elevated" experience refers to the Sakura Lounge and its provided chef.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:49 am

Sakura Club was *amazing*!! Updates coming later.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Sakura Club was *amazing*!! Updates coming later.
Cool! Glad you enjoyed it. I really liked it myself, but I'm pretty easy to please to good to hear that it passes a high bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.