Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Washington DC {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by howie411
I received this email from the Conrad, so looks like there will never be upgrades to the Sakura area.While other hotels in our portfolio may offer an Executive Lounge, we do not offer this concept at the Conrad Washington, DC. As the Sakura Club is considered a boutique hotel within the Conrad Washington, DC and offers much more than a standard Executive Lounge, the Sakura Club guestrooms and suites are not a part of the Diamond Honors complimentary upgrade offering, although I would like to share that there is currently a Discount offered specifically for our Diamond Guests (10%) in case you would like to elevate your stay. The club offers breakfast, lunch, tea with bites and dinner offerings as well as a Japanese Wisky tasting. They also have their own Ambassadors who assist with any guest and concierge needs, allowing for a far more personalized and unique experience.
I know they won’t upgrade me to club level. But remove club access I had at the time of booking without notice?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hang

I know they won’t upgrade me to club level. But remove club access I had at the time of booking without notice?
Obviously an error, since the language has been very clear since the roll-out of any marketing material that elites wouldn't get Sakura Club access. But if they somehow promised it to you, I'd reach out to local management to see if they'll honor it.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:08 pm

There's a very negative review up of the Sakura Club on TA. States it's little better than a regular lounge.

- No actual afternoon tea or snacks
- Sandwiches/late evening snacks poorly stocked
- Minimal food offerings during the day
- Staffing issues
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
There's a very negative review up of the Sakura Club on TA. States it's little better than a regular lounge.

- Staffing issues
Eh, one-and-done fly-by TA poster. If you’re so interested in this property and are local, why not just go stay there and see for yourself like others of us did?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer

Eh, one-and-done fly-by TA poster. If you’re so interested in this property and are local, why not just go stay there and see for yourself like others of us did?
That snarky reply is uncalled for. I'd like to get the full details on the Sakura Club before dropping $400-$500 for a night. There is conflicting information about the Sakura Club, and it's not clear whether they offer meal presentations beyond those in the breakfast/evening. Your review mentioned that you didn't stay for lunch. I am very hesitant about staying a night here if their website advertises a more comprehensive Sakura Club service than is actually offered.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
There are lots of nice posts, and this first time poster couldn't find a single nice thing to say? Hmmm....
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
We'll see...

- Staffing issues
It would be hard to have "no actual afternoon tea" since that is very clearly described on the web site. You'd think maybe people would complain??? (Of course they would and we'd read about it here.)
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

That snarky reply is uncalled for. I'd like to get the full details on the Sakura Club before dropping $400-$500 for a night. There is conflicting information about the Sakura Club, and it's not clear whether they offer meal presentations beyond those in the breakfast/evening. Your review mentioned that you didn't stay for lunch. I am very hesitant about staying a night here if their website advertises a more comprehensive Sakura Club service than is actually offered.
It's not snarky - for the record, the "one-and-done" reference was to the TA poster, not you. And there was no snark in my suggestion that you spend a night - you seem sufficiently invested to post many times asking about specific minutiae of the experience on this thread. And it's a lot cheaper and less exotic to go to than the places you visit and post hundreds of pictures of. So I was being pretty literal in my statement.

I've already given my explanation of the economics of the price of admission and in my experience it was well worth the price based solely on the evening service, so I'm fairly indifferent to any of the daytime stuff, though of course if their marketing is untrue they should be held to account.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Portolan
It would be hard to have "no actual afternoon tea" since that is very clearly described on the web site. You'd think maybe people would complain??? (Of course they would and we'd read about it here.)
Only Flyertalkers K.L. and arlfyer have reported using the Sakura Club. Arlfyer stated that he did not stay for lunch. It's unclear if K.L. did. So the TA review is the first one to report on the afternoon tea service (or lack thereof).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Only Flyertalkers K.L. and arlfyer have reported using the Sakura Club. Arlfyer stated that he did not stay for lunch. It's unclear if K.L. did. So the TA review is the first one to report on the afternoon tea service (or lack thereof).
Well, we'll see. I have an eStandby upgrade request in for the lounge in November. My point was that if there isn't afternoon tea, I'd be asking for the upgrade fee to be refunded.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:55 pm

Will be saying there this weekend.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Just stayed there. I asked and was offered an upgrade to Sakura club for $150, with no discount (as a Diamond). There was no reason for me to take it for a short stay. I was told they would take $15 off bill as the diamond benefit, but I did not see that taken off the bill. I love Conrads and my room was nice, but it was not upgraded at all and there were a few other things I found disappointing.
  • We went to the restaurant shortly before 5:00 PM. It was completely empty. However, we were told we could not have a table without a reservation. By the time we left it was still largely empty. I can understand they had many reservations but that seemed very odd.
  • We tried the lounge where we were told they had a full menu. Most of the tables there had reserved signs. We did eventually find an open table in the bar area that was not the greatest location and the menu was not actually the same as the restaurant. That said, the food and service were excellent..
  • My room had a bottle of wine next to the complimentary waters with no sign and no mini-bar price list. Somewhat wary of it, I called guest services and was told that the wine was part of the mini-bar - not the arrival gift I believe I have gotten at every Conrad.
Lots of plugs and USB ports in the room, great shower, nice lighting controls, Conrad robes and slippers - more like an Asian hotel although I was told it was either owned or designed by a Swiss group, The interior is spectacular, and it's high quality as one would expect, but I would much rather get actual diamond benefits than have three people greet me at the entrance to the hotel and ask if I need anything. I guess my summary is that it meets general Conrad standards for the hard product but I was rankled by the way we were treated as a diamond in comparison to the way I have been treated in Conrads (and upscale Hiltons) outside the US. I am hoping this changes and look forward to seeing some reports that it has.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:52 pm

Here is the Japanese whisky selection

https://ibb.co/943tbFY

Last edited by 07TRflyer; Apr 7, 2019 at 5:06 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
I was rankled by the way we were treated as a diamond in comparison to the way I have been treated in Conrads (and upscale Hiltons) outside the US. I am hoping this changes and look forward to seeing some reports that it has.
Curious as to what the basis for your expectations was. Is there a specific reason why you thought a US property would break the mold which you yourself have clearly defined?

I am pretty sure that if U.S. Hiltons treated Diamonds the way that international properties do, FT wouldn’t have Marriott or Hyatt forums, because those chains would be out of business. But here we are...the US is the least exciting hotel market in the world.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
I checked in earlier this evening for my first visit here. I'm underwhelmed, but I appreciate that I'll probably come off as an over-entitled tosser.

I booked a deluxe room and got just that. I wasn't offered an upgrade and I don't like to ask. This is almost the first Conrad property where I didn't get some form of upgrade (the Conrad NY also doesn't seem to do upgrades typically). And, there's definitely many rooms available this week, judging from a check on the website. That said, the deluxe room is attractive, substantial, and comfortable. It has a vaguely Asian Conrad feel. The lighting controls are very non-intuitive. After a few hours here, I still don't fully understand them and I consider myself pretty tech-literate. I had to call the services line to figure out how to turn off the lamp over the desk (there's a small button that perhaps I should have felt around for!).

I'm disappointed with the Diamond breakfast benefit. I was told that I'll get $25 per day to use at any of the food establishments. But, I gather that that amount won't actually cover breakfast.

Maybe the hotel will grow on me over the next few days, but I feel like I get more benefits and enjoyment from other Hiltons in the DC area. Given that I cannot find any government rate availability at the Conrad through at least September (except on weekends - not exactly when government employees are working), I don't expect to stay here again. I appreciate that the hotel is going for a very different demographic than government office workers. I feel lucky that I found the government rate when I booked many months back, likely before they worked out their rate structure in much detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.