Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Washington DC {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

I will be there this weekend.

EDIT: They upgraded me to a studio suite. When I initially wrote this post the reservation wasn't showing it.
howie411 likes this.

Last edited by arlflyer; Mar 14, 2019 at 7:13 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I will be there this weekend. In the welcome email they upgraded me one category as Diamond - no suite. But they also appear to be sold out - I wasn't expecting big upgrades on opening weekend.
Will you be able to visit the Sakura Club? Please take copious photos for us!!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Will you be able to visit the Sakura Club? Please take copious photos for us!!
I will. But I also try to avoid doing the overt fanboy thing. I'll see if I can sneak a few without being egregious.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:06 am

what is this club med? who goes to dc to stay in a lounge eat all day and not city?

Some more information about Sakura Club rooms. The concept seems better than Ritz's Club level rooms- I like the ability to pack meals to go.

- All guests included in a room reservation will be granted access. E.g. if you make a Sakura Club room or suite reservation for 3 adults, then all 3 adults will have access.
- Meal presentations will be served 7 days/week, not just on select weekdays like in most traditional concierge lounges.

sounds like the writers with masters in creative writing and the ad team got together.

Gee how wonderful they make airport lounges sound?
I was in Lufthansa First in Frankfurt , Concorde lounge in LHR ( but alas never the Concord airplane.
Hit Adams Morgan for some ethnic food. I can see staying extra time at a resort locale. But an urban locale?
You guys put this treasure out of business
https://foursquare.com/v/lindys-red-...64a5209bf41ee3
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Rich - I have lived in DC for 10 years and have eaten at hundreds of restaurants in the city. Adams Morgan is no longer an epicenter of "ethnic" dining, FWIW - try going out into the VA and MD suburbs, or read Tyler Cowen's Ethnic Dining Guide (written by Gary Leff's boss).

I'm trying out the property to see how it compares to others worldwide that I have visited. In the name of science.

So please, put down the bottle and go to bed.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Looks like the property is open! Been a long time coming.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:28 pm
K.L

Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Indeed, the Conrad is open. A few photos attached. I'm generally rather bashful about geeking out taking photos; this was exacerbated by the fact that this property is in a soft opening and thus occupied at about 20% but staffed as if it is at 200%. Hopefully these give a bit of an idea; surely others will post more details soon. I also long ago gave up on trying to manage how photos present themselves on FT, so what you see is what you get.

In short, this property is very nice. Design is a blend of mid-century and contemporary; the atrium reminds me a lot of the QR lounges at DOH actually in terms of the starkness and amount of white stone, wood, and metal. The room designs are similar - very clean and crisp, but nothing avant-garde - this being DC, we wouldn't want to push the envelope too far.

Rooms are very functional - super nice bedding, easy to use digital light controls, double vanities, very quiet AC, and great soundproofing on the windows.

The lobby bar occupies a nice circular spot against NY Ave; looks like it should really be a hot spot to gather once the word gets out.

Sakura Club is much nicer than any other US Hilton club - table service for drinks, cocktails mixed to order, etc.

In terms of service, they're going for very high touch - hard to tell if this is just due to the soft open or if that is the standard; either way it is beyond anything I've ever seen in DC before - handlers at every step, definitely choreographed interactions, etc. I'm not a big "service" person - I generally just like to be left to myself - but the people who appreciate this sort of thing should be pretty well served, I'd think.

House champagne in the club is Taittinger, for benchmarking purposes.

Happy to answer any questions...
Attached Images       
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:32 pm
K.L

Indeed, the Conrad is open. A few photos attached. I'm generally rather bashful about geeking out taking photos; this was exacerbated by the fact that this property is in a soft opening and thus occupied at about 20% but staffed as if it is at 200%. Hopefully these give a bit of an idea; surely others will post more details soon.

In short, this property is very nice. Design is a blend of mid-century and contemporary; the atrium reminds me a lot of the QR lounges at DOH actually in terms of the starkness and amount of white stone, wood, and metal. The room designs are similar - very clean, and crisp, but nothing avante garde - this being DC, we wouldn't want to push the envelope too far.

Rooms are very functional - super nice bedding, easy to use digital light controls, double vanities, very quiet AC, and great soundproofing on the windows.

The lobby bar occupies a nice circular spot against NY Ave; looks like it should really be a hot spot to gather once the word gets out.

Sakura Club is much nicer than any other US Hilton club - table service for drinks, cocktails mixed to order, etc.

In terms of service, they're going for very high touch - hard to tell if this is just due to the soft open or if that is the standard; either way it is beyond anything I've ever seen in DC before - handlers at every step, definitely choreographed interactions, etc. I'm not a big "service" person - I generally just like to be left to myself - but the people who appreciate this sort of thing should be pretty well served, I'd think.

I am replying that you are sitting in the Sakura lounge,I have to agree with you that their service is just too FXXX well, I've been to 16 Conrad, but I really just want to say that's what I think the standard is for Conrad. I had to use the word F to describe my surprise,Really, really, really good!!!!
arlflyer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:06 pm

Indeed, the Conrad is open. A few photos attached. I'm generally rather bashful about geeking out taking photos; this was exacerbated by the fact that this property is in a soft opening and thus occupied at about 20% but staffed as if it is at 200%. Hopefully these give a bit of an idea; surely others will post more details soon. I also long ago gave up on trying to manage how photos present themselves on FT, so what you see is what you get.

In short, this property is very nice. Design is a blend of mid-century and contemporary; the atrium reminds me a lot of the QR lounges at DOH actually in terms of the starkness and amount of white stone, wood, and metal. The room designs are similar - very clean and crisp, but nothing avant-garde - this being DC, we wouldn't want to push the envelope too far.

Thank you, arlflyer! What kind of food do they serve in the Sakura lounge? Hors d'oeuvres? Did you try Estuary? What other Diamond benefits did you receive besides the upgrade to a Studio Suite?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, arlflyer! What kind of food do they serve in the Sakura lounge? Hors d'oeuvres? Did you try Estuary? What other Diamond benefits did you receive besides the upgrade to a Studio Suite?
Sakura lounge food was definitely presented as, communicated as, and constituted a legitimate meal.

Estuary isn’t scheduled to open until April in my understanding.

There is certainly a bit of a ceiling on Diamond benefits given that there isn’t a regular lounge, and since I had a Sakura room I thus didn’t inquire about their standard Diamond breakfast offering. Nothing received that I was aware of beyond an upgrade, though that is to me the most valuable benefit, so I was happy.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:13 pm

Arlflyer, can you post photos of the Sakura lounge food? Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:51 pm
K.L

Washington District of Columbia Conrad
I don't know why I can't successfully upload the picture here, but you can look at this
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Sorry, didn't take any, not really my thing. The presentation was very nice, though, and they put a lot of thought into it. Also, there is a full open kitchen in the lounge so a lot of the cooking is done right there, which is cool.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:08 am

Sorry, didn't take any, not really my thing. The presentation was very nice, though, and they put a lot of thought into it. Also, there is a full open kitchen in the lounge so a lot of the cooking is done right there, which is cool.
That's too bad. Wanted to see if the Sakura Club was worth paying the upgrade fee for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.