Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Diamond Status worth $450?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wouldn't pay $450 for Hilton Diamond. But Aspire is still a good deal for the airline credit, free night, and resort credit. That stuff is worth more than the annual fee. So Diamond is just gravy.
JetAway, krazykanuck and B3nder like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Depends where your stays in Hilton will be. I was Diamond for many years, and most of my stays were in Asia where it actually meant something.
Diamond in the USA including Mexico was pretty lacklaster. Most lounges weren't worth the time, quality of most Hilton hotels were fairly basic, and upgrades were hit and miss.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have the Hilton Ascend and Amex Platinum cards, both of which give me Hilton Gold status. I spend $15,000 per year on Hilton Ascend (mostly in the restaurant, grocery and Hilton bonus categories) to get the free wekened night. All that said, I spend about 10-15 nights in Hiltons a year at most, with 2-5 nights booked via points.

The Points Guy claims Diamond status is worth $1,000 more than Gold.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/what-...-status-worth/

Hilton sells Diamond status for $450 via the Aspire (this doesn't take into account resort credits, airline credits, free weekend night upon renwal, etc). Does it make sense to get the Aspire in my case? I'm not sure if I'm loyal enough to Hilton for it to make sense (I also stay 10-15 nights a year in Marriott, 10 in Hyatt, etc). I'm most interested in higher upgrade priority on paid and award stays with Hilton, as well as executive lounge access. I would only put Hilton spend on this card while keeping the Ascend for dining/grocery spend.
The point guys calculation is comparing apples to oranges since the value he is placing are based on someone staying 20% more than the qualfying level. So much of the value difference is simply quantity of additional stays. Would have been more useful if he calculated the value of diamond for someone who qualifies for gold on say 40 nights per year so they can make an informed decision on the value of buying diamond.

I'm close to you in annual stays and wouldn't flat out pay $450 for diamond (maybe I would pay $100) but I see Aspire as a better than free card even before the free night.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Lounge at most Asian cities (including Australia) can easily worth over $50 or even $100 for 2 if you are a heavy drinker. Two hours at a bar or pub can easily cost my pocket more than $100
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I’m gonna hit $15,000 in spending on my Ascend in December... I am thinking of pursuing this strategy

1) Apply for Aspire in early September, get 1 free weekend night later this year
2) Have two weekend nights for use in Calendar 2019
3) Use Ascend for dining/grocery spend through 2019, earn 95,000 Hilton points plus a free night for 2020
4) Use Aspire for any Hilton stays. Benefit from various credits (I can probably use the airline credit, but no clue if I will stay in a Hilton resort in any given year).

Basically get two free weekend nights, at least 95,000 points, Diamond status and credits for $545 in fees annually. ,
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by B3nder
:
1. Point values have gone down AGAIN since the last I looked. I will probably need to lower my valuation from 0.4cpp...
I think I figured this out. It might not have changed again much. The cash value went down partly because I have diamond now.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:23 am

It’s very difficult to calculate.

The biggest guaranteed advantage in real money is breakfast at WA from my point of view. You can save around $40,- per night (2 guests).

The biggest non-guaranteed adavantage in real money is about upgrades. Very good experience with that in Asia (about 80%), very poor experience in the US (about 0%).

I’ve decided not to requalify for DIA this year. I want to try a more best of breed approach again for a while.

I’ll get the DIA with my credit card if spending more than EUR 20k, which is no problem to do for me. I would get 20k M&M miles with another credit card and I get 20k HH points with the HH credit card, So my invest for DIA is the difference of the worth of 20k M&M miles minus worth of 20k HH points. That is ok for me.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by thbe
The biggest guaranteed advantage in real money is breakfast at WA from my point of view. You can save around $40,- per night (2 guests).

??? You get status benefits whether the booking is paid for with points or cash. You don't only get breakfast with cash.

Since properties are not forced to ever provide upgrades, upgrades may be different (but should not be).

Last edited by B3nder; Aug 18, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.