Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does a Property Know How You Received Your Diamond Status?

Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond

I was thinking of getting the new Hilton Amex Aspire card for the Diamond status since the cost alone will be worth not having to do a mattress run for any year that I have not already requalified for Diamond. If you have Diamond status from this card, do the properties know you have the status from the card and not from the usual qualification options? I just want to make sure that someone with the card is not thought of as a second-class Diamond upon check in. Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
The hotel has access to a ton of information about your preferences and stay history in addition to your status. The hotel can view data points such as your lifetime stays/nights by hotel/brand/enterprise and your stay activity within the year for hotel/brand/enterprise. They can also see history of service recovery and other items. They can't clearly see how you earned your status that I know of. They may be able to figure out if you have no stay/history and are diamond, but I doubt it will lead to any different treatment. My experience is that the majority of hotels never look at that information. For example, I often get asked at check in "have you stayed here before?" when I am back for the 5th time. Your stay history is literally right in front of them at the computer when they check you in.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:11 pm

delete

Last edited by davie355; Apr 24, 2020 at 2:05 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I can't say I ever felt like I was slighted because someone surmised Diamond Status was from my credit card. I do have 100+ nights at Hilton properties and it seems like my loyalty to a particular hotel is rewarded more than anything.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:49 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by davie355
I once checked into a DoubleTree in North Carolina and the front desk agent said I must travel a lot. He said it with a knowing smirk, as if he knew I didn't have "real" status. (It was my first stay at any Hilton property in 8 months.) I was not amused. But I didn't care -- the property was all-suites and I got my free breakfast.
I got my IHG status by (mostly) manufactured spending on a credit card, then matched it to Hilton Diamond. Since then, I've requalified for Diamond every year with (just about) 30 stays.

The very first time I stayed in a Hilton, I was greeted with "As a Diamond member, welcome back to Hilton!" And I think it was genuine, there was no "smirk"
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Thanks everyone! I am going to get the card.
tynmar likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Michael19887
For example, I often get asked at check in "have you stayed here before?" when I am back for the 5th time. Your stay history is literally right in front of them at the computer when they check you in.
This is an interesting point. I've wondered before too why I wasn't greeted with a "welcome back". If it is really in front of them then I find it even more disappointing..
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
The hotel can see your point balance, too. Found this out a couple days ago when checking out and mentioning an issue that needed correction.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by florens
This is an interesting point. I've wondered before too why I wasn't greeted with a "welcome back". If it is really in front of them then I find it even more disappointing..
There are, of course, Hilton Family properties, where they follow your stay history very carefully. One hotel where the "welcome back" greeting is followed by an invitation to a dinner, a more substantial upgrade than expected, due to the stay being the 10th, 15th etc, is the Conrad BKK. IME there are few hotels I've stayed in the last couple of years, where I'm not welcomed back.
florens likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Like all service industries, it might simply be an honest oversight. Perhaps the agent misread their screen, is at the end of a 12 hour shift and was just plain tired, or was trying to serve a long line of people as quickly as possible -- not excuses but just reasons why a greeting might be overlooked. If I haven't been greeted properly, I will ask "Is my Honors Gold number in the reservation? Then, the agent must respond and acknowledge your status.
florens and davie355 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
If I haven't been greeted properly, I will ask "Is my Honors Gold number in the reservation? Then, the agent must respond and acknowledge your status.
You do this just for the self-satisfaction of hearing FD staff acknowledge your status and provide you with what you deem to be the proper greeting? SMH.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
You do this just for the self-satisfaction of hearing FD staff acknowledge your status and provide you with what you deem to be the proper greeting? SMH.
It's not about the greeting but about tangible status benefits. I've had FD fail to provide bottled water, breakfast vouchers, etc. until I brought up HHonors.
florens, Adam1222 and Seabilly like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sannmann
The hotel can see your point balance, too. Found this out a couple days ago when checking out and mentioning an issue that needed correction.
IME it’s status and then point balance that most FDC’s pay attention to.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox

IME it’s status and then point balance that most FDC’s pay attention to.
As a Lifetime Diamond, I agree that these are at the top of the list, with point balance more frequently resulting in upgrades, perks, freebies, etc. than LD status. Frequency at a given property also is up there. This is based on +/- 100 stays annually over many years; balance shouldn’t be a factor but it unquestionably gets attention and positive results.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by smmrfld

As a Lifetime Diamond, I agree that these are at the top of the list, with point balance more frequently resulting in upgrades, perks, freebies, etc. than LD status. Frequency at a given property also is up there. This is based on +/- 100 stays annually over many years; balance shouldn’t be a factor but it unquestionably gets attention and positive results.
Why would the points balance lead to more frequent upgrades? I had 200k points and spent them all on upcoming stays and my balance is now 10k or so.
B3nder and :D! like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.