Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Bangkok Ploenchit {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Bangkok Ploenchit {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
This property is currently closed, but is accepting bookings for dates from 2nd August 2022

Do any have more recent experience with this property? - last post was more than two years ago.

It doesn't look good from the late 2019 posts, but it's pricing is keen (e.g. from 14000 points / USD62 Inclusive).
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
This property is currently closed, but is accepting bookings for dates from 2nd August 2022

Do any have more recent experience with this property? - last post was more than two years ago.

It doesn't look good from the late 2019 posts, but it's pricing is keen (e.g. from 14000 points / USD62 Inclusive).
Is US$62 for a DT in BKK considered "keen"?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by puchong
Six months ago, no. These days, yes.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong
Probably not as keen as USD30 / 8K points for a HGI in KUL, but I won't be in KUL that night.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:45 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
DoubleTree Bangkok Ploenchit = Good Price for Low-End Full Service Renovated Hotel

DoubleTree Bangkok Ploenchit

1 Review | 100% Recommended

12 Sukhumvit Soi 2 Bangkok, TH 10110

DoubleTree Bangkok Ploenchit = Good Price for Low-End Full Service Renovated Hotel (12 Photos)

This DoubleTree hotel is a rebranding, renovated and opened in late 2019 but closed in early 2020 due to covid so I never had the chance to try it back then.  It has finally reopened a couple of weeks ago, at the moment only 100/250 rooms are occupied so it avoids some Bangkok hotels which are overcrowded at the moment.  My overall takeaway was that this hotel still has some warts but I have to judge considering the price tag below 2k THB to be fair, and in that regard I would give the thumbs up for what we get.  

Room

I booked the entry level room and I was upgraded to Premium room which is slightly larger than entry level; there no suites available online because I think they have not reopened all rooms yet.  The strong point is that the room was entirely renovated and normally in this price range in Bangkok we get aging hotels which was not the case here, in addition at 36 sqm the room felt quite spacious.  That said, it was far from perfect as the air conditioning was not the strongest I have seen, there was some water damage on the ceiling of the shower, and some fixtures in the bathroom would need to be fixed to avoid falling out.  

During the day I could hear some modest drilling noise which seemed to be quite far from my room so I was not disturbed but clearly the renovation work is not completely done yet despite the hotel having been closed for more than 2 years.

1_IMG_3626.jpeg1_IMG_3627.jpegIMG_3628.jpegIMG_3629.jpegIMG_3630.jpegIMG_3637.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast was free as Hilton Diamond as expected and I liked the restaurant venue which was near reception and the entrance with high ceiling and very bright.  However the food options were quite limited in my opinion as it was too western-oriented and not enough Asian choices.  

This hotel does not have a lounge but instead they provided a drink voucher.  The bar is not the most attractive hotel bar you can find because it’s right in front of the elevator and front desk.  I ended up having two drinks and I was charged for the second.  

I looked at the room service menu and ended up walking to Ploenchit Center to order take away instead.  The prices on the DT menu seemed to be a bit high for a hotel of this caliber.

IMG_3631.jpegIMG_3632.jpegIMG_3633.jpegIMG_3634.jpegIMG_3635.jpegIMG_3636.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked great with speed of 160-180 Mbps.

Overall

Overall I noticed a few issues with this hotel but I am disclosing them mostly in the interest of transparency rather than being big complaints.  For a price below 2k THB it would be unrealistic to expect perfection and after all DT is full service hotel; low-end full service but full service nonetheless.  Many select service hotels such as CY, Aloft, FP, and HP are all in the 2.7-3.3k range at the moment, not below 2k.  So if expectations are reasonable I think this DT can be considered as a decent choice in Bangkok especially with the location near Ploenchit which is fairly central.

DoubleTree Bangkok Ploenchit = Good Price for Low-End Full Service Renovated Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree Bangkok Ploenchit?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Nice review. I would say that is a pretty nice place for the price. This definitely looks nicer than the DT on Soi 24 as it has gotten pretty rundown I think. I do like the Soi 24 location better but nothing wrong with this location.
escape4 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM
escape4 - Thank you for your excellent hotel report. 😊
escape4 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:32 am

Another stellar report from escape4. Although I've been to BKK more times than I can count, the only limited service property with which I have experience was a CY, which I quite liked. The FS DT is priced very attractively and, as such, would seem to provide an excellent QPR. One could readily splurge on better meals off-property with the money saved.
escape4 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@escape4 , thanks for the report.

I am booked at this property next month as well as at the other Doubletree same day, based on your report I'll likely cancel the latter.
escape4 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here now. escape4 is on the money, the place is much better then the review of two years ago.

As a Gold upgraded, to a "King Delux" - its fine.

Received drink voucher. Decide to have a light meal at the lobby restaurant and ordered a Thai Salad, it was "Aroy"! (Delicious)

Even better, there is a 25% discount on F&B for Gold and Diamond, 10% for base Honors members and Silver.

Breakfast was fine, certainly Western but there was a cooked to order noodle station as well as an egg station.

kevino likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 11, 2022 at 8:08 pm
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Tried this place recently on a mattress run since it was one of the most affordable Hilton properties in BKK. No suites available. The pool is lovely except for the ambient noise from the highway next door.

The breakfast was remarkable ... for how bad it was. Coffee comes out of a kettle that tasted like Nescafe. The local options were very limited and tasteless. How can any hotel screw up rice porridge? My second breakfast on the street just outside the hotel is far better.
Chang11 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here recently for two nights. Booked a base king, no upgrade given in advance. Enquired into if an upgrade was available when I got to the hotel and the agent said they only had a smoking king deluxe or non smoking twin deluxe available, or I could stay as is. They had premium kings and executive suites available, presumably it would be out of their policy to upgrade beyond one category. Quite tight to be honest but it is what it is and I didn't push the matter.

Hotel was very fresh and new, having not been open as a DT for long taking account of the COVID closure. Room was very comfortable albeit the bathroom on the small size.

Chocolates:

No lounge here (there was one when it was another brand, they've taped over the executive lounge sign in the lift/elevator). Was given x4 drinks vouchers to use at the lobby bar. The agent said she gave extra because it was recently my birthday!

Breakfast was pretty good - not a vast selection but pretty good variety and quality.

Pool was obviously rebuilt during the refurbishment, pretty small and didn't seem to get much sun but a pleasant space.

kevino likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Schwann
...Enquired into if an upgrade was available when I got to the hotel and the agent said they only had a smoking king deluxe or non smoking twin deluxe available, or I could stay as is....
just finished a last-minute-1-night stay recently. that's EXACTLY what they told me at check-in also. (all rooms except the priciest one are available on app.) i can confirm that the era of generous upgrade has already gone. no upgrade granted this time.

hotel looks pretty tight, lot of guests coming in and going out. saw more staffs than my last stay in October. front desk agent was a bit cold and non-informative but most other staffs are nice.

room was pretty standard and bare minimum. bathroom is small as mentioned above and had cleanliness issue. found long hair scattered around. the rain shower was also not functioning properly. another serious issue was the excessive leaking of water from shower stall.

in-room mini fridge was extremely disgusting with mold stain. they said it was just some dust but it looked like mold to me. Asked for replacement and was done in about half and hour. The new one was also not working properly (not cool enough).

breakfast is mediocre at best. Iced drinks is no longer available. I suggest you to skip it and go to nearby JW cafe instead. however, as long as it's free i have no complain.

i chose this hotel based on its location and price. in other words, you get what you pay for.
kevino likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Was there in November, and I was impressed. Surprisingly, the restaurant food in the evening was better than breakfast, which was just OK (and free for Diamond, of course).

Did get upgraded both times - not a major upgrade, and King to King Deluxe, then the next week from King Deluxe to King Premium. My rooms were fresh, clean, quiet, and reasonably spacious. 25% discount in the restaurant, plus a free drink, meant that the food was excellent value.

It is definitely a lower end hotel by brand standards in Thailand, comparable with the other DoubleTree further along Sukhumvit Road, and usually a little cheaper. The location was beautifully quiet, more so than the other DT on Soi 26 - although the prices are getting up there. Below 3k THB it's good value, but lately, prices seem to be well above that, and while all Hiltons are quite strongly priced at the moment, this seems to have gone up in price a lot and is dangerously close to some of the other, nicer properties, never mind non-Hilton options.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
THB 3,000++ is def. too much for this property. It used to be much lower; hopefully just a high season price exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.