Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Forest Pines Spa & Golf Resort {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Forest Pines Spa & Golf Resort {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Forest Pines Spa & Golf Resort {GBR}

This former QHotel will become a Doubletree on the 6th November, and is now taking bookings from this date with rates starting at £59/18000 points.

It's a lovely hotel (local to me) with 3x 9 hole golf courses, an excellent swimming pool/gym/spa area and extensive event facilities, an excellent addition to the Doubletree portfolio.

Last edited by delinquentwoody; Jul 28, 2018 at 12:02 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:11 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by delinquentwoody
This former QHotel will become a Doubletree on the 6th November, and is now taking bookings from this date with rates starting at £59/18000 points.

It's a lovely hotel (local to me) with 2x 18 hole golf courses, an excellent swimming pool/gym/spa area and extensive event facilities, an excellent addition to the Doubletree portfolio.
Where is the hotel?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cjd
Where is the hotel?
Around 20miles north of Lincoln, England.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Around 20miles north of Lincoln, England.
Oh really......I got it in my head it was up Scotland ?......cool, may give this a look when it changes over.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:51 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by wizla
Oh really......I got it in my head it was up Scotland ?......cool, may give this a look when it changes over.
Ah, so did I. Remember staying at a hotel called Forest Hills up in Aberfoyle many years ago and thought it was somewhere near there!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
The 3*9 golf course seems to have some good reviews, so hopefully there will be some good deals / packages for golf showing up soon ^
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

So I've got myself booked in here tonight currently enjoying a drink at the bar, going to do a Wizla style live report...and so far I have to say it's a mixed bag, overall I'm underwhelmed.
Starting at check in.. no acknowledgment of status, no room upgrade despite plenty of rooms available. The receptionist came across like someone who had been here for decades and hated her job, her exact words "Will you be needing the free breakfast in the morning or not?!" Water given with the cookie at reception.
Hotel has very long corridors, mine was a good ten minute walk away. The upgraded rooms appear to be those on the ground floor near reception, which have the shortest walk.
Room itself dated and ready for refurb, though clean and well maintained. I'd say it's a good 10 years old if not more. Despite being a Doubletree for over 6 months now several Q Hotels logos are still evident in the room and signs through the hotel - on the room service menu and telephone. I believe a refurbishment programme has started and a small number have had a lick of paint, but no new furniture etc. Service in the bar left a lot to be desired and lots of small children running amok. Tried the pool earlier.. It's nice, good size, not amazing, but similar to other Q Hotels spas with the ice showers etc. Very good gym overlooking the pool with plenty of equipment. I hear the golf course is very good, though golf isn't my thing so won't be trying this. Will follow up with a food report soon..
wizla likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:09 pm

So I've got myself booked in here tonight currently enjoying a drink at the bar, going to do a Wizla style live report...and so far I have to say it's a mixed bag, overall I'm underwhelmed.
Starting at check in.. no acknowledgment of status, no room upgrade despite plenty of rooms available. The receptionist came across like someone who had been here for decades and hated her job, her exact words "Will you be needing the free breakfast in the morning or not?!" Water given with the cookie at reception.
Hotel has very long corridors, mine was a good ten minute walk away. The upgraded rooms appear to be those on the ground floor near reception, which have the shortest walk.
Room itself dated and ready for refurb, though clean and well maintained. I'd say it's a good 10 years old if not more. Despite being a Doubletree for over 6 months now several Q Hotels logos are still evident in the room and signs through the hotel - on the room service menu and telephone. I believe a refurbishment programme has started and a small number have had a lick of paint, but no new furniture etc. Service in the bar left a lot to be desired and lots of small children running amok. Tried the pool earlier.. It's nice, good size, not amazing, but similar to other Q Hotels spas with the ice showers etc. Very good gym overlooking the pool with plenty of equipment. I hear the golf course is very good, though golf isn't my thing so won't be trying this. Will follow up with a food report soon..
Good man!.....like your style!......... yes an ice shower after a sauna is incredibly refreshing, takes some getting used to but very good for releasing oxygen back into the blood ( so a doctor once told me ) .
Enjoying your report!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Chose to eat in the bar, the food was good and nicely presented, although once again the service basics lacking.. no steak knife brought out, before I could ask for one the server disappeared never to be seen again.. no-one else at all to ask so had to persevere. Several others gave up waiting for someone to appear at the bar.. in the half hour it took me to eat, there wasnt a single bar staff member anywhere to be seen. There's a second bar here located in the leisure complex building above the golf shop, though after the lack of service so far I'll give this one a miss tonight. Looking forward to breakfast though as I've heard good things about it.
wizla likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Hmmm. Have a stay booked later in the year. Interesting review....
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Down early for breakfast and it's like a different hotel...newly refurbished restaurant, fabulous service, drinks served to table including fresh squeezed orange juice (available in pint glasses if you wish!), a couple of local specials include scrambled eggs made with double cream and fresh squeezed peach juice. Also families with small children are directed to be seated in a separate room..
Hopefully these improvements in the restaurant will quickly be reflected across the rest of the hotel as it does have good potential..
Despite the service glitches which I hope were just one offs, I'd still recommend it for a small spa or golf break overall.
wizla likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Meant to mention, the hotel is in a bit of a blackspot for mobile phone signal coverage which may cause an issue for some, however the wifi is excellent running at 58mbps.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:07 pm
cjd

Booked a Queen room in the Hilton sale for last Friday. Rate was £54. On morning of check in, room upgraded to King Suite so did online check in. Hotel was very easy to find, being sign posted as soon as you come off the motorway. You have to enter your car registration at check in or there’s a notice saying you will incur a £60 fine. Apparently, hotel is so busy, but some people had previously left their cars there whilst car sharing to work or even longer periods when catching flights from Humberside airport. At check in at the hotel, no mention made of upgrade and given keys to room 145 on the first floor. Strange numbering in that room 145 is nowhere near 144. After walking along long corridors and looking lost, cleaner eventually took us to room 145, the entrance to which was in a small passageway between rooms 104 and 105! It would have been nice for the receptionist to give directions. The King Suite was entered though a small narrow lounge/dining room and into the good size bedroom with a four poster bed. The bathroom had a shower over the bath and a glass panel. Shower pressure was excellent, but did tend to flood the floor. Unusually, the bedroom also had an emergency exit door which opened onto the main corridor directly opposite the doors to the stairs/elevator. Hence the bedroom was quite noisy. There was no air conditioning in the suite and the room was very warm and it was only possible to open the windows a couple of inches. However, bed comfortable and managed to sleep. The next morning, told I could have requested a fan for the room and also that some refurbished rooms do have air conditioning. Nice feature in the room was that the fridge had complimentary drinks, including 2 small white wine bottles, 2 peroni beers and 2 diet coke bottles. Had early breakfast in the restaurant the next morning and service and food were good and it was very busy with golfers eating prior to playing golf. Had a walk around outside on the previous evening and it’s a very impressive golf course and wooded grounds. The lounge/bar and restaurant areas all looked like they had been recently refurbished and all had air conditioning and were all quite pleasant. Visited the Leisure Centre, to use the pool, sauna and steam room, which is in a separate building at the back of the hotel. Again, the pool was quite busy but it was a late Friday afternoon and as well as hotel guests, there are also club members using the facilities. Think that the £54 rate was really good value and the suite would be fine in the winter, spring and autumn, but If returning in the warmer summer weather, would definitely ring ahead to see if a room with air con was available.
wizla and delinquentwoody like this.

Last edited by cjd; Jul 12, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Have a booking here next week, preupgraded at moment to family double double deluxe. I always struggle with this when I travel with Son, a suite means a bed and a sofabed (but bigger room), a double double a proper bed each (and better sleep). Looking forward to it, an area of the world I am not that familiar with.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Skimanant
Have a booking here next week, preupgraded at moment to family double double deluxe. I always struggle with this when I travel with Son, a suite means a bed and a sofabed (but bigger room), a double double a proper bed each (and better sleep). Looking forward to it, an area of the world I am not that familiar with.
There is an outside chance I may be here too ( Thursday night ), I may have to drive up to market rasen on business ......my options are here , DT hull , or DT Lincoln ....... I’ve not booked anything yet as it probably may not happen but will do trip report if it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.