Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade after making prearrival requests?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

I have been receiving basic to great upgrades with Hilton properties lately. I am thinking of making a couple of prearrival requests over the app such as a bottle of wine and fruit/cheese plates. However, my concern is that if I make these requests that they will put them in the room class I booked prior to arrival. This would it make it then impractical/inconvenient for the hotel to upgrade me to a better room, as they would have room service to move my items. Or are these things not delivered until just after check-in as to keep them at the proper temperature? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
When you have status, your room (including upgrade) is usually pre-assigned well before arrival. So anything you pre-order will be there waiting for you.

Of course this won't work if you rant and rage DYKWIA to get an upgrade at check-in.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! No - I usually just ask if there was/is an available upgrade, but don't make a fuss if there is not. I comment on any status upgrades in my reviews, especially if I noticed a lot of availability online. That's about it.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:52 pm

My educated guess is that this will vary by hotel, similar to whether using online check-in will stop the Front Desk from upgrading you. When online check-in started, I asked at a few hotels to see how they handled it. Some hotels said they will still upgrade a guest, even if the guest already selected a room and checked-in. Other hotels said that if the guest took the time to pick out a room, they weren't going to override that choice.

Here, I could see some hotels not wanting to re-assign a room with an amenity in fear that the product has already been placed in the room. Other hotels might always wait until after the guest arrives before delivering the amenity. Without calling and asking, you'll probably not know.

As craigthemif notes, it may not even matter if the hotel always pre-upgrades elite-level guests the day prior or first thing in the morning of your arrival date. Again, it's hard to know exactly how a hotel will operate in terms of this stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.