Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Old May 7, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone ever sell weekend night certificates? I'm diamond, have 3 weekend nights but havent set foot into Hilton in almost 10 years and not sure I'm going to have the time to do so before the expire.
According to Hilton Honors terms and conditions https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html -

"The sale or barter of any Hilton Honors Points, Certificates, Rewards Confirmations or other Hilton Honors benefits other than by Hilton Honors is prohibited. Any Points, Certificates or benefits which Hilton Domestic Operating Company Inc. deems in its sole discretion to have been transferred, sold or assigned in violation of Program Terms and Conditions may be confiscated or canceled."
Old May 8, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone ever sell weekend night certificates? I'm diamond, have 3 weekend nights but havent set foot into Hilton in almost 10 years and not sure I'm going to have the time to do so before the expire.
I'm sure you have a family member who would enjoy them.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:11 am

Anyone have experience, booking first with points and then calling in to have them switch it to the certificate? Basically want to make sure I reserve a spot before I get the certificate.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by jhangilp
Anyone have experience, booking first with points and then calling in to have them switch it to the certificate? Basically want to make sure I reserve a spot before I get the certificate.
I'm pretty sure the answer is no from prior reading of threads. You could call, cancel the reservation then immediately book. So long as your room you are holding is a standard reward you should be ok, but clearly no guarantees.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:52 pm

If I make a reservation with a free night, then cancel the reservation, I get the certificate back right away to re-use?

I have 2 free nights I can use at the Dublin Conrad, but to buy the middle night is $500! So I'd like to hold the 2 that are open and keep checking for the third.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
If I make a reservation with a free night, then cancel the reservation, I get the certificate back right away to re-use?
I just did this last night actually. Standard night availability opened up at my ideal hotel so I cancelled my backup hotel rez, got my certificate back, and then re-applied it to the new hotel rez. Rep needed the cert number again but it worked like a charm.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:23 pm

I'm ,hopefully, using my cert in a couple weeks. I say "hopefully" because I booked it over the phone, but under the reservation in my HH profile it shows that it's being paid with 50,000 points. Yet, nothing has been subtracted from my account. Not sure if this is how they show this, or if I'm going to have a huge hassle later trying to get points back and get this cert properly applied. Any thoughts?
Old May 21, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jabez
I'm ,hopefully, using my cert in a couple weeks. I say "hopefully" because I booked it over the phone, but under the reservation in my HH profile it shows that it's being paid with 50,000 points. Yet, nothing has been subtracted from my account. Not sure if this is how they show this, or if I'm going to have a huge hassle later trying to get points back and get this cert properly applied. Any thoughts?
See post #79 and #80 in this thread.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I recently had to cancel just such a booking - the certificate was immediately back in my account and reusable - so, I think there's not much to worry about.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:52 am

"See post #79 and #80 in this thread."

Thanks
Old May 26, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
"See post #79 and #80 in this thread."

Thanks
After reviewing these two posts I still have a question:

I called in today and used my Aspire weekend certificate and everything seemed to go okay on the phone with the rep.

While still on the phone, I received the confirmation email and it showed 30,000 points being used for the reservation. I asked the rep about this and she said this was normal and the cert would be used. After hanging up I then received an email from Hilton regarding a points activity. The 30,000 points were deducted from my account.

This is my first time using the weekend cert and I was wondering if this is indeed normal; the points being deducted when the reservation is made.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by xichang08
This is my first time using the weekend cert and I was wondering if this is indeed normal; the points being deducted when the reservation is made.
No, it is not. No points should be deducted from your account when using the weekend certificate.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jbeckett
No, it is not. No points should be deducted from your account when using the weekend certificate.
Thank you!
Concerned about getting this worked out over the phone, I cancelled the reservation and the points were returned.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Just got my cert, was hoping to use it in a Sat-Tuesday stay at the WA Cavalieri in Rome.

points are available on Sunday and Monday night. Currently holding a three night points reservation.

will Hilton allow me to cancel just the last two nights of the three night reservation? Then I could rebook and wind up with three consecutive one night reservations. Or will they insist on cancelling all 3 nights?

Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:20 pm

beachfan I have had zero luck with them modifying reservations. In October I wanted to just drop 1 night of a 6 night reservation and they wouldn't even allow that without cancelling the whole thing and repricing it at the current rates. Now I always make a series of single night reservations, unless I am staying 5 nights to get the 5th night free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.