Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:42 am

Is there a way to see the weekend night certs in your hilton online account?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
It has been my experience that changing from cash to points, cash to free night certificate, or points to free night certificate requires a separate booking.
Essentially, they have to book a new reservation, then cancel your old one. So, if there aren't any rooms available, you risk not being able to rebook the room you already have reserved because it has to go back into inventory before they can rebook it for you.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Any actual DP's as to how long after opening the account the certificate comes?
Openeed my Aspire February 18, 2018 and received the free night certificate April 23.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I had another question about the certificate. Is it possible to book a room for someone else using the certificate? How is the elite benefits (i'm diamond) handled if you can do this?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Is there a way to see the weekend night certs in your hilton online account?
I haven't found one. When mine was first issued I could see it in my Amex account but don't recall if the link is still there.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:08 am

Booking for someone else

I just called to use a free weekend certificate from my wife on a points stay where we are traveling together. They cancelled my 2 night points stay, booked the Thursday night using my points, then booked her weekend reward for Friday. It was a little unusual that the agent has to check how to do it a few times and had to transfer me to someone else to finish booking the certificate. They said the certificate was booked under my name even though they had to find it on my wife's account in order to do the booking. The points confirmation email went to me. The certificate night confirmation went to my wife. I'll find out how it plays out when we stay in a few weeks.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Timeline of Aspire Free Weekend night on renewal

Now that we are entering 2nd year of the Aspire card, does anyone have any data points regarding receipt of Free Weekend night on card renewal?

If so, please post your Anniversary Date and Date of Weekend night receipt. Last year these certificates were notoriously slow to arrive, almost 3 months IIRC. I am hoping the timing for renewals will be faster...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
Now that we are entering 2nd year of the Aspire card, does anyone have any data points regarding receipt of Free Weekend night on card renewal?

If so, please post your Anniversary Date and Date of Weekend night receipt. Last year these certificates were notoriously slow to arrive, almost 3 months IIRC. I am hoping the timing for renewals will be faster...
mine took 2 months to get the cert.; assume that if the card were to cancel within 30 days after AF posted, won't get the free night cert.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm more than 2 months since application, still no cert. Annual fee already paid.

How are you notified of the certificate? E-mail? Just in the account somewhere? (where?)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'm more than 2 months since application, still no cert. Annual fee already paid.

How are you notified of the certificate? E-mail? Just in the account somewhere? (where?)
E-mail, title is "Your Reward Night has arrived!"
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by jbeckett
E-mail, title is "Your Reward Night has arrived!"
Well I guess I'm one step closer...got the e-mail that said I'm awarded the certificate...but...it said I will get ANOTHER e-mail with the Certificate number in 8-14 more weeks! Sure hope they are joking.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:41 pm

Is it possible to extend the Free Weekend Night Certs? I have 4 (1 expiring in Spe 2019 and Nov 2019 and 2 in Jan 2020). I don't have plan for this year. Looking to take a trip summer 2020.
If it matter I got them as followed:
1 - Ascend card
1 - hitting 15k requirement under Ascend card
2 - Aspire (have two cards)

I still hold two of the Aspire cards.

Thank you
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by Flyingwith5
Is it possible to extend the Free Weekend Night Certs? I have 4 (1 expiring in Spe 2019 and Nov 2019 and 2 in Jan 2020). I don't have plan for this year. Looking to take a trip summer 2020.
If it matter I got them as followed:
1 - Ascend card
1 - hitting 15k requirement under Ascend card
2 - Aspire (have two cards)

I still hold two of the Aspire cards.

Thank you
The certificates cannot be extended. They must be used before the expiration dates.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:30 pm

Well I guess I'm one step closer...got the e-mail that said I'm awarded the certificate...but...it said I will get ANOTHER e-mail with the Certificate number in 8-14 more weeks! Sure hope they are joking.
Now this is weird...was over checking out my OTHER e-mail account and the certificate e-mail was there! I must have both e-mails on my account, did not realize that. But anyway it's here, and it has a phone number and a certificate number so when I'm ready to book I'll just call.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
The certificates cannot be extended. They must be used before the expiration dates.
When you say "used" does that mean that they must be applied to a reservation by the expiration date, or does that mean that the stay must also occur before the expiration date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.