Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:32 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I thought we were able to see these online with Hilton now? I can’t seem to find where when logged in? Any help would be appreciated.

TD
Using my iPad, >“Account”, then they show further down that page.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Now that you can see them online I hope they do what Marriott does and allow you to book with the certificates online so you can see the availability of properties available and just book it without wasting a call to the diamond desk.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
My account continues to show nothing -- no free night awards (despite having 3 of them), and no longer even shows the "updating your tier progress" message either.

It's now less helpful than ever!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

Oh yeah! This should make for a nice trip.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
My account continues to show nothing -- no free night awards (despite having 3 of them), and no longer even shows the "updating your tier progress" message either.

It's now less helpful than ever!
My app finally updated today to show the proper information, but the account information on the website is still missing.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pharmawalk

Oh yeah! This should make for a nice trip.
How many Aspire cards do you have? 3?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
How many Aspire cards do you have? 3?
Just one Aspire. This rare collection is due to covid extensions.
san888 and Eujeanie like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:43 am

Once the free weekend night award for AmEx Aspire card renewal is showing in your Hilton account is it safe if you decide to cancel the Aspire card for the af refund? Or will AmEx claw it back after Aspire card cancellation?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Just one Aspire. This rare collection is due to covid extensions.
And a teensy bit o' spend.

David
pharmawalk likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
It's now going on 11 days past the date I received my annual FNC last year. Should I be concerned? Has anyone not received their FNC and had to call Hilton to remind them to send it? Normally, I would not be that concerned, but I want to use it for a reservation about 5 weeks from now, so I'm getting nervous.
Nope. Same here - 9 days past last years FNC and still nothing. Fine print in the T&C mentions something about up to 4-8 weeks (don't remember exactly) after card anniversary.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:03 pm

Datapoint: I just checked and last year i received the email on the 1st of Jan and this year I received the email on the 2nd of Jan

Last edited by pharmawalk; Jan 11, 2022 at 6:42 pm
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:40 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pzpa
Nope. Same here - 9 days past last years FNC and still nothing. Fine print in the T&C mentions something about up to 4-8 weeks (don't remember exactly) after card anniversary.
Datapoint: Mine was a few days later this year.

Edit: i just checked and last year i received the email on the 1st of Jan and this year I received the email on the 2nd of Jan
I finally received the FNC a few days ago, about 3 1/2 weeks later than I received it last year, but I was able to make a reservation using this year's and last year's FNC's without any problem. Much ado about nothing, I guess.
pzpa likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I thought we were able to see these online with Hilton now? I can’t seem to find where when logged in? Any help would be appreciated.

TD
Having the same issue on the desktop version of the website.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
Having the same issue on the desktop version of the website.
Hilton giveth and Hilton taketh away.

Remember the *coming soon* lifetime diamond status tracker?
jamesteroh and ChevyCruze like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm able to access the free nights.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/

It's on the bottom one third and if you click on the link it shows you the certs and when they expire.

Now to only make it so you can redeem them online. I did reservation with three free Marriott nights last night with no problem. I was able to look up the properties for the nights and it showed the properties and how many points and said I could use it as long as the hotel was 50K points a night or less. Worked great and I didn't have to call Marriott and waste an agents time. Only pain was I had to book it as three separate reservations but IIRC if you do that with muli night stays using multiple certificates with Hilton it's the same thing.

One thing nice about the Hilton certs is they dont charge the resort fee. For my Marriott stays it was showing a $3.50 a night tax on the hotel I booked and the Sheraton in Times Square I looked at it said I was responsible for the resort fee.
DC9 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.