Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 4:55 pm

FT's been great today! Without it, I would have had no idea on this and to proactively reinstall my Hyatt App.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:48 pm

Its time for Hilton to let members book the free night certs online.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:12 am

I wonder if they're rolling this out in phases.

In my account, I see my FNCs.
In my wife's account, I still can't see her solo FNC.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by dw
A bit crazy that IHG, Hyatt and Marriott allow their credit card free night certs to be booked online (and have been shown online for as long as I can remember) but Hilton hasn't been able to implement the functionality... especially since they seem to have been investing in tech as of late?
And at least for IHG and Marriott they are getting harder and harder to use because of the limitations of use by points. SO I might be able to book online but try finding something in a place like downtown DC.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Very nice change as I needed to track mine on a spreadsheet before. But this way I noticed one was missing - checked my email to make sure and they dropped one.
Filled out their contact form and I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton Honors LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Delta Gold, Avis Preferred Plus,
It must be. I know I have at least 2 left to use and I am getting this on my screen. I'm 13 years diamond, not silver.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by poker9ite
It must be. I know I have at least 2 left to use and I am getting this on my screen. I'm 13 years diamond, not silver.
Uh oh. Does the app still show Diamond for you?

David
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

This is what mine looks like. My husband's is completely blank where the FNC's are discussed, even though he has several in upcoming reservations, also. (Mine also has the status in circles as the poster above, not sure why mine doesn't come out that way when I c&p.)

Your Diamond status

• Nights
GoldPrevious tierDiamondCurrent tierInterested in earning

Lifetime Diamond?

Learn how.This link opens in a new tab.
Congratulations on reaching Diamond!

You’ve staye
Diamond benefitsBenefits overview

Milestone bonuses

Earn your firstMilestone Bonusin half the nights this year

After you’ve stayed 20 nights this year, you'll earn 10,000 Bonus Points every 10 nights. We'll start the countdown here after your 9th night.
Learn more about Milestone Bonuses

You have 2 Free Night Rewards

Current RewardsUsed Rewards

Ready to use (0)

You currently have no Free Night Rewards.

Reserved for upcoming stay (2)

See all

Amex Aspire Anniversary Free Night

Certificate # ●●●●● Valid until 12/31/2022

Once you reserve a Free Night Reward for an upcoming stay, it may take up to 48 hours to appear here.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gbdbld
Now if only we can book them online ourselves.
YES!
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ajc1970
I wonder if they're rolling this out in phases.

In my account, I see my FNCs.
In my wife's account, I still can't see her solo FNC.
MilesToMemories explained this is in a blog post today:

Currently, you can only find the information on a browser. The app does not show the free night certificates. And remember, you must hold at least one Hilton credit card to have them show up in your account. So if you earned a free night previously but closed your card, like I did my Hilton Aspire, then you are simply out of luck.

My wife closed her Aspire, so she's in the same situation as him.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Keep scrolling down. Should be just below your Status and Milestone Goals. Or your account is really messed up.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

same for me. Hilton’s great IT spend at work.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I wonder if the phone booking is by design, vs a lack of IT. I'd imagine the ease of use/comparing prices would only increase the average price of redemption. Perhaps the portion added to the website will save labor, but it is still worth having the booking handled through the dinosaur process?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I wonder if the phone booking is by design, vs a lack of IT. I'd imagine the ease of use/comparing prices would only increase the average price of redemption. Perhaps the portion added to the website will save labor, but it is still worth having the booking handled through the dinosaur process?
I'd argue as unlikely since, before, folks had to rummage around to even find where they had some/any FNCs. Now they explicitly know what Hilton is keeping track of which will increase the application and use of FNCs.

David
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Any idea how long it takes for the certs to be disassociated with a cancelled reservation? I called to cancel a 2 night reservation and rebook at a much better property that just opened award availability for the dates I need. The agent was able to immediately cancel the original reservation, but the certs still show they're attached online ("Reserved for upcoming stay") and the Diamond Desk says I need to wait 24-48hrs (and possibly longer) before applying them to a new reservation. Is anyone else seeing the same thing online when a reservation is cancelled?

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.