Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Weekend Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Consolidated "Free Weekend Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 11, 22, 9:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Special Policy This Year: Hilton is automatically extending the expiration date to Aug. 31, 2021 "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020."

Weekend Defined:The free weekend night can be used for a Standard Room Award on Friday, Saturday or Sunday night only.

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certification remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • Typically the free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within a week of being approved, and the free night from Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date.
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels.“
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 23, 20, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ABQbass View Post
Has anyone been successful booking a free night cert for a non-weekend night in 2021? I don't see any "stay-in-2020" restrictions mentioned in the Amex terms, however, Hilton Diamond desk is saying the stay must occur in 2020. Spoke to 2 different agents and no luck.

Amex Terms:3. Free Weekend Night Reward Expanded to Weekdays

Unexpired Free Weekend Night rewards as of May 1, 2020 and new Free Weekend Night Rewards issued until December 31, 2020 on the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card can now be used any night of the week (not just on weekends). New Free Weekend Night Rewards issued from May 1 through December 31, 2020 will be valid for 24 months (rather than 12 months) from the date of issuance. Free Weekend Night Rewards must be redeemed on or before the expiration date.
I've also been told that I can't use the weekend certs on weekday stays beyond 12/31/2020. Hoping they will announce an extension of that policy soon. Can any Hilton reps on here weigh in on this?
Old Nov 23, 20, 3:38 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AwardBee View Post
I've also been told that I can't use the weekend certs on weekday stays beyond 12/31/2020. Hoping they will announce an extension of that policy soon. Can any Hilton reps on here weigh in on this?
Hilton Honors Ambassador Can you clarify the policy?
Old Nov 24, 20, 9:15 am

Any other data points on people getting Hilton to extend a 8/31/2021 expiration? I need a booking for literally the next week... tried a rep today who was very polite but said they were not able to extend them.
Old Nov 25, 20, 8:13 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
Hilton Honors Ambassador Can you clarify the policy?
Free Weekend Night Rewards issued prior to May 1, 2020 have an expiration date of August 31, 2021.

We recently updated cardmember benefits with an extension of the Free Weekend Night Reward. The update states:

Hilton Honors American Express Card Members can continue to use Free Weekend Night Rewards issued prior to January 1, 2022 any night of the week. New Free Weekend Night Rewards issued in 2021 don't expire until December 31, 2022. Unexpired Free Night Rewards as of December 31, 2020 will expire in accordance with their previously communicated terms.
Old Nov 25, 20, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador View Post
Free Weekend Night Rewards issued prior to May 1, 2020 have an expiration date of August 31, 2021.

We recently updated cardmember benefits with an extension of the Free Weekend Night Reward. The update states:

Hilton Honors American Express Card Members can continue to use Free Weekend Night Rewards issued prior to January 1, 2022 any night of the week. New Free Weekend Night Rewards issued in 2021 don't expire until December 31, 2022. Unexpired Free Night Rewards as of December 31, 2020 will expire in accordance with their previously communicated terms.
I think I've got it, I have 2 that are still a bit confusing...issued March, 2020. Original exp. March 2021. Extended to August 2021. Those will stay that way.

But my latest one, issued October 12, 2020 with a printed expiration date of Oct. 12, 2022 will now actually be good until December 31, 2022.

Now when I get my next Aspire one in January 2021, will the expiration date be Dec. 2022 rather than Jan. 2022 as it would have in the past?
Old Nov 25, 20, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I think I've got it, I have 2 that are still a bit confusing...issued March, 2020. Original exp. March 2021. Extended to August 2021. Those will stay that way.

But my latest one, issued October 12, 2020 with a printed expiration date of Oct. 12, 2022 will now actually be good until December 31, 2022.

Now when I get my next Aspire one in January 2021, will the expiration date be Dec. 2022 rather than Jan. 2022 as it would have in the past?
You're right about your Jan 2021 Aspire certificate.

However, with that Oct 12 one. It will expire Oct 12 2022.

Per the terms of Hilton:
  • Any certificates issued from May 1 through Dec. 31, 2020 are valid for 24 months from the date of issuance — and also on any night of the week.
Old Nov 25, 20, 10:54 am

It's actually really messy. But it basically goes like this:

Anything that was unexpired up until April 30, 2020 is now valid until August 31, 2021.

Certificates between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 are valid for 24 months from date of issue.

Certificates issued anytime in 2021 will be valid until December 31, 2022.

It's especially frustrating if you had your certificate issued in March or April of 2020 and you missed out on several extra months. But there have been a few data points in this thread of people getting them extended when you get a nice rep at the Diamond Desk.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Nov 25, 20, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I wish the certificates were visible within the Hilton app. Keeping track of the email from when the were awarded is annoying especially now when I am unable to use the cert soon after it was awarded due to travel restrictions.
Old Nov 26, 20, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador View Post
Hilton Honors American Express Card Members can continue to use Free Weekend Night Rewards issued prior to January 1, 2022 any night of the week.
Data point: I just used a free night certificate that was issued in October of 2019, with an original expiration date of Oct. 2020. The cert had been extended automatically (no action needed on my part) to an expiration date of August 31 2021. I used it to book a room on a Thursday night in June 2021.

The phone rep also stated that a certificate I have that was issued September 2020 has an expiration of September 2022.

So it appears the extended expiration(s) and the usability for weekday nights are working as advertised.
Abidjan likes this.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Nov 26, 20 at 10:30 am
Old Nov 27, 20, 10:00 pm

Weekend night on upgrade

I recently upgraded my no fee hilton card(previously surpass ) to the aspire card to get the free night and resort credit for a trip next year. After reading the fine print it mentions you are only able to receive this benefit with an upgrade to hilton aspire one time. Since I previously upgraded a different hilton no fee card to aspire will I receive the free weekend night cert or will i have to wait until my anniversary date to get my weekend night cert?
Old Jan 8, 21, 10:35 am

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about combining the FNC from my Hilton Aspire and the one my wife expects to earn from her Hilton Surpass. I understand that we can make separate bookings and combine them, pending availability, but I noticed this in the T&C:

"Reward Certificate may be issued to the Hilton Honors Member, any person in the Member's family, or to any other person, as directed by the Member. Once issued, rewards are not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the reward. If a person other than the individual named on the reward documentation attempts to redeem the reward, the reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied."

Does this mean that if she calls HH before receiving the FNC, she can direct them to issue it to me upon earning it? It would be preferable if it were in my name since I am Diamond and she is Gold, and that way we could take advantage of my status on all nights of our stay.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Got my response from the Diamond Desk. "it depends on how she earns the FNC. if she is using her honors points, then she can have it put in your name. if it is through AMEX or third party, then it will be placed in your wife's name. I hope this information will help you."
hermitw likes this.

Last edited by akober220; Jan 11, 21 at 12:45 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 21, 21, 12:20 pm

Out of the blue I got a free night cert, but I only have the No Annual Fee version - I'm not aware of any way to earn a free night with the No Fee card? I used to have the Aspire, but downgraded last year. Do free nights get clawed back?
Old Feb 8, 21, 12:32 pm

Anyone know if the cert can be used for a family of 4 or any DP on it? Two adults and Two children. TIA!
Old Feb 9, 21, 7:28 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by uttu View Post
Anyone know if the cert can be used for a family of 4 or any DP on it? Two adults and Two children. TIA!
From our rewards terms and conditions, Reward Certificate usage is limited to Double Occupancy. Additional occupants, age 19 and above, are subject to the standard extra person charges.

https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/...ght-terms.html
Old Feb 11, 21, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uttu View Post
Just book the best std points room you can on the cert regardless of occupancy, and call the hotel afterward to change your room. Never had a problem with this.
DC9 likes this.

Search this Thread