Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:22 pm

thank you....thought I replied but I don't see it....will make separate reservations
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I do this every year. Sometimes I book the entire stay on points and have one weekend night switched to the certificate and get the points reinstated.
Just to clarify, if I want to use the 5th night free benefit, I can book 5 nights using points (equal to 4 nights) and then change one of the nights to a weekend night certificate and get the points reinstated?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rct12345
Just to clarify, if I want to use the 5th night free benefit, I can book 5 nights using points (equal to 4 nights) and then change one of the nights to a weekend night certificate and get the points reinstated?
now that I dont know. You might have to call and get that done.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rct12345
My memory is that you cannot substitute a cert for points when booking 5th night free.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit

now that I dont know. You might have to call and get that done.
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
My memory is that you cannot substitute a cert for points when booking 5th night free.
Thanks for the replies. That would be too good to be true
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
FYI, post systems change agents cannot book these carts right now. Spent over an hour with the Diamond desk to redeem to no avail. They said check back in a few days.

When I explained that the inability to book is holding up my booking airfare the agent suggested I book a refundable airfare and call back in a week. I inquired about booking a points night and returning the points when they can attach the certs later on to ensure I have the hotel space agent said, theres no guarantee that will work just like I cant gaurantee when the system will work again.

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:20 pm

Today is 12/10, the weekend FN certificate still isn't fixed! Anyone else having trouble using these certs?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:44 pm

I just booked a reservation using a certificate with no problems.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Not sure if anyone knows if there’s a way to escalate an issue to Hilton customer service. Had a free night certificate attached to a reservation that was cancelled in October and certificate was supposed to be returned to account. Tried to make a reservation on December 2 and was told a known system glitch occurred and certificates were not redeposited back to account but they created a help ticket and would be fixed in 7-10 business days and to call back. Called 3 weeks later and was told nothing has been done on account. Agent couldn’t get a hold of a supervisor so said to call back later in the day. Fast forward to today several days later and spoke to multiple agents who said there is nothing they could do but try calling again later with no estimate on when the issue would be fixed. Just keep calling back. Tried to escalate it to someone with authority to get something done and was placed on hold for another 15 minutes and then just hung up on. After 3 phone calls over an hour each time I don’t think it’s acceptable to keep calling back and to be hung up on. Anyone having a similar issue or know who I can contact to get real assistance. I’m trying to book a hotel and I’m afraid by the time the issue is resolved there won’t be availability.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by AICML
Not sure if anyone knows if theres a way to escalate an issue to Hilton customer service. Had a free night certificate attached to a reservation that was cancelled in October and certificate was supposed to be returned to account. Tried to make a reservation on December 2 and was told a known system glitch occurred and certificates were not redeposited back to account but they created a help ticket and would be fixed in 7-10 business days and to call back. Called 3 weeks later and was told nothing has been done on account. Agent couldnt get a hold of a supervisor so said to call back later in the day. Fast forward to today several days later and spoke to multiple agents who said there is nothing they could do but try calling again later with no estimate on when the issue would be fixed. Just keep calling back. Tried to escalate it to someone with authority to get something done and was placed on hold for another 15 minutes and then just hung up on. After 3 phone calls over an hour each time I dont think its acceptable to keep calling back and to be hung up on. Anyone having a similar issue or know who I can contact to get real assistance. Im trying to book a hotel and Im afraid by the time the issue is resolved there wont be availability.
I have had the same experience as well. It's pretty disappoiting. I thought we were getting a great deal with the aspire card but we have to pay for that "great deal" with a lot of hassle and wasted time. There are far fewer places to use these certificates unlike the 50k night from Marriott. I have both cards. Earlier I thought I'd cancel the SPG Luxury and now I'm thinking I will cancel the aspire.
san888 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by AICML
Not sure if anyone knows if theres a way to escalate an issue to Hilton customer service. Had a free night certificate attached to a reservation that was cancelled in October and certificate was supposed to be returned to account. Tried to make a reservation on December 2 and was told a known system glitch occurred and certificates were not redeposited back to account but they created a help ticket and would be fixed in 7-10 business days and to call back. Called 3 weeks later and was told nothing has been done on account. Agent couldnt get a hold of a supervisor so said to call back later in the day. Fast forward to today several days later and spoke to multiple agents who said there is nothing they could do but try calling again later with no estimate on when the issue would be fixed. Just keep calling back. Tried to escalate it to someone with authority to get something done and was placed on hold for another 15 minutes and then just hung up on. After 3 phone calls over an hour each time I dont think its acceptable to keep calling back and to be hung up on. Anyone having a similar issue or know who I can contact to get real assistance. Im trying to book a hotel and Im afraid by the time the issue is resolved there wont be availability.
Message via Twitter for best results.
san888 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've got a question about getting your first certificate after getting the Aspire card...if it's true that it takes several weeks (I think I read 8-12?) does that mean that then becomes the anniversary date for future certificates instead of the anniversary date when you first got the card?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Send a tweet via Twitter or post on the Hilton Honors page. Social media rumblings/complaints get fast responses from the Hilton. Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I've got a question about getting your first certificate after getting the Aspire card...if it's true that it takes several weeks (I think I read 8-12?) does that mean that then becomes the anniversary date for future certificates instead of the anniversary date when you first got the card?

No. You received a certificate when you first open the account and then you receive an annual weekend certificate on your anniversary date of when you opened the card.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Any actual DP's as to how long after opening the account the certificate comes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.