Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
My renewal date is September 1 and the certificate didn't show up until December 4.

They also sent me an email apologizing for it taking so long to arrive.
The terms and conditions does say that your annual certificate will arrive 8 - 12 weeks after your anniversary date.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Is anyone else annoyed that these certs coming via email and require a phone call to redeem? Why can’t these just be loaded into my HHonors account? Banking on higher breakage?
DaveH and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Segments
Is anyone else annoyed that these certs coming via email and require a phone call to redeem? Why can’t these just be loaded into my HHonors account? Banking on higher breakage?
Possibly it's because these certs don't behave like regular award certs. These certs are only good certain days of the week. Also these certs can't be redeemed for HH points, per the email. i.e. A regular award reservation can be cancelled with the points going right back into your account. Despite the fact that the reservations made with these special certs show a point value they don't want us to be able to cancel the reservation and get the points in our accounts. Doing things over the phone may address these issues and may be more cost effective for Hilton than doing a lot of extra programming to make sure we comply with the limitations.

I for one don't mind calling in for occasional reservations like this one. The last time I used one of these certs the phone rep put in a request for an upgrade and I got the best room I've ever had at that hotel despite the fact that the reservation was for just a standard room.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I'm getting a free weekend certificate. I can use this on a $500-$600 a night room. In the grand scheme of things, I'm not annoyed - I'm grateful.

I don't sweat the small stuff, lol. It's really not that deep.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
The fact that it is only good on a weekend makes sense regarding difficult IT programming. Guess I’m used to Marriott where my free night certs are visible in my account wallet and return as certs (not points) when a reservation is cancelled.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:36 pm

No, not an issue at all. So many other things that can cause angst...this isn’t one of them.
restlessinRNO and Cat88L3 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Yeah it's very annoying. But not sure how they can address?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Yeah it's very annoying. But not sure how they can address?
By allowing them to be booked online just like points stays.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
It is kind of annoying. The IHG and Hyatt awards just show up in my accounts.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
My e-mail had the expiration date right on it:

Here's How to Redeem:

1) To make a Reward reservation before the expiration date of 19-Dec-2020, call 1-800-4HONORS

2) Advise the reservations agent blah blah Reward ID: XXXXXXXX
I get the first notice saying I've been awarded the certificate that will show up in 8-12 weeks, but both times I never got the follow-up email with the specifics. However, a message will show up after signing into my Amex card account online telling me that's is has arrived on a certain date, but nothing else. I get a free night, so I'm happy. Just seems a bit wonky.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
The terms and conditions does say that your annual certificate will arrive 8 - 12 weeks after your anniversary date.
9/1 to 12/4 is over 13 weeks.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Yes. Partly because I can’t look at my account to see when they expire. I have to keep track of an email. But mostly because it means I have to speak to a person.

And yes, I suspect that far more certs are forgotten and never used because there’s nothing online.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
9/1 to 12/4 is over 13 weeks.
I looked back and it actually says 8-14 and they got it to me within the time frame, but it seemed like it took forever.

But it does say that the specifics regarding the award will be arriving by email. Maybe they really mean it will show up as a message in my Amex Aspire online account which it has both times. And now that I read the whole thing, it does include all the information. The certificate number and date of issue and all the terms. The small print states that it's good for 365 days from date of issue (in my case December 4), not anniversary date which is good to know.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:58 pm

Do you have to spend the 15k in a calendar year or in a cardmember year?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ijones027
Do you have to spend the 15k in a calendar year or in a cardmember year?
It's 15k in a calendar year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.