Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Double Upgrades for Gold/Diamonds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)

It is well established that a not insignificant number of hotels pre-upgrade Gold and Diamond members (i.e. it changes on the app before you arrive to check-in).

Can I gather experiences about anyone receiving further upgrades on check-in?

I postulate that it isn’t obvious to check-in staff that the upgrade has already happened. In my experience if you ask nicely enough, there is usually another upgrade on the table as they assume that is the type of room you booked.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:39 am

I have received modest upgrades (to exec floor, corner room, etc.) a number of days out and then been upgraded to a suite the night before arrival. I have also gotten upgrades from asking at the desk, sure, and in some of those cases they were in instances where I had previously been auto-upgraded to something less than a suite. So yes, of course, anything is possible.

What I have never seen happen is receiving an upgrade automatically after doing room selection using the app or website, despite its promises that "[They'll] do [their] best" to upgrade elites after OLCI. I've only gotten upgrades post-OLCI at the desk, where I basically tell the agent that I did OLCI to ensure I had a decent room of some sort (always in response to "I see you've selected your room..."), but would be happy to take any upgrades that they have available.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Your postulation is incorrect.
Checkin staff can definitely see the original room and rate booked.
Ime they'll often comment about you being upgraded based in this info.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer

What I have never seen happen is receiving an upgrade automatically after doing room selection using the app or website, despite its promises that "[They'll] do [their] best" to upgrade elites after OLCI. I've only gotten upgrades post-OLCI at the desk, where I basically tell the agent that I did OLCI to ensure I had a decent room of some sort (always in response to "I see you've selected your room..."), but would be happy to take any upgrades that they have available.
Just to add a contradictory data point, I recently had exactly that happen. Booked nicely located corner room via OLCI according to booked room type (Grand Deluxe, or something) and got auto upgraded before arrival to Junior Suite. From my own experiences and multiple FT threads on the subject, upgrades are extremely variable and there is no hard and fast rule. Everytime someone thinks they've found a 100% certain way to get an upgrade (perhaps OLCI exactly 4 hours before physical check-in time, or ignoring OLCI, or using OLCI as it opens) then someone else pops up with the opposite experience. My guidance is to enjoy them if you get them; and if you don't, it never hurts to ask POLITELY at check in.
EGSExec and rattlerr like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:58 am

I certainly never implied that there was any "hard and fast" way to get an upgrade. What I did note was that, since the advent of OLCI, nearly 100% of agents I have spoken to after OLCI have commented on my room selection in a manner that implies it to possibly preclude a desire for a different room, and that as a result I've always had to be very proactive in asking for said upgrades, despite Hilton including specific language in the OLCI process stating that they would still actively work to upgrade me on their end (something I have never experienced with OLCI).
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
It is well established that a not insignificant number of hotels pre-upgrade Gold and Diamond members (i.e. it changes on the app before you arrive to check-in).
If only that were true! As Gold I'd be happy to get a single upgrade...I'm 0 for 12 so far this year.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ebuck
If only that were true! As Gold I'd be happy to get a single upgrade...I'm 0 for 12 so far this year.
all USA hotels ?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
I think I’m 0 for 22 this year as a Diamond.

caveates that probably 75% of those are at property types that don’t really have upgrades. Garden Inn, homewood, etc.

All US.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
I think I’m 0 for 22 this year as a Diamond.

caveates that probably 75% of those are at property types that don’t really have upgrades. Garden Inn, homewood, etc.

All US.
such a big difference (in service) between US and Asia
Even as silver in Asia you get treated like Royalty (not tried a US hotel yet )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.