Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Reservation moved to another hotel, then charged cancellation fee.

Old Jul 11, 18, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

We booked a night at a new Hilton Garden Inn which was supposed to be open for our trip. Original cancellation policy 48 hours, no big deal.

The hotel wasn't going to be ready on time, so they emailed (not called) me 24 days ahead of our stay to ask if they could rebook. I asked what the new hotel would be (NOT saying they COULD, just asking what it would be), and they rebooked us at a nearby Hampton Inn. The new reservation has a 30 day cancellation policy - booked involuntarily AFTER the window was already expired. Sure enough, when I went to cancel, she told me I would be charged "a cancellation fee" - except she couldn't even tell me what the fee would be! She said I could "try calling the billing department", which I'll do sometime tomorrow in my copious free time :eyeroll:

Any other ideas short of disputing the charge with my credit card company?

(Exact hotels not mentioned to protect the not-so-innocent, but I'm not exactly happy with Hilton right now.)
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The timing here is unclear.

At T-24, you were rebooked to the new property with a 30-day cancellation. Did you call to cancel immediately or wait a few hours? If you did wait, how long?

But, in the first instance, this should simply be a call to the new property. No need to start worrying about CC chargebacks and the like.
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

I didn't call until a few days later, not realizing the new reservation had a new cancellation policy - I only found this out when I called the new hotel (so yes, I did call the new hotel )

Mostly just needed to vent, but also see what people thought. Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The timing here is unclear.

At T-24,.....
The OP said 24 DAYS before, not 24 hours.
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:56 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA*G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver, Hilton Spire
The unopened HGI should pay the cancellation fee and/or their manager should get the Hampton's manager to waive it.
GregLeg, bbbb, Sisosig and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 6:56 am
Original Poster

I've fired off an email to the person who originally contacted me (by email only, see OP) to explain the situation. I believe they're the HGI manager; we'll see if I get anything. I'll also call sometime today if I get a chance between meetings. Not as frustrated as I was last night, but it's still annoying.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
A front desk manager at the Hampton, who understands the back story here, should be able to cancel your reservation with no problems. You just need to get the right person on the phone.
Old Jul 12, 18, 8:33 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GregLeg View Post
I've fired off an email to the person who originally contacted me (by email only, see OP) to explain the situation. I believe they're the HGI manager; we'll see if I get anything. I'll also call sometime today if I get a chance between meetings. Not as frustrated as I was last night, but it's still annoying.
Hopefully this works. After all, they were the ones who actually made the non-refundable reservation (at T-24 it was effectively non refundable).

I would be very annoyed as well. Especially if the call to Hampton was met with that shrug and inflexibility.

If not, if you have any status with Hilton, a call to Hilton Customer Service? (I have had relief that way).
Old Jul 12, 18, 8:37 am
Original Poster

I do have status (Hilton Gold this year, and based entirely on leisure travel, so that's our money they have).

Edit: The HGI manager contacted me, this has been resolved. Thanks, all!
Craig6z likes this.

Last edited by GregLeg; Jul 12, 18 at 1:26 pm
Old Jul 13, 18, 1:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott, Choice, IHG, Hertz FiveStar
Originally Posted by GregLeg View Post
I do have status (Hilton Gold this year, and based entirely on leisure travel, so that's our money they have).

Edit: The HGI manager contacted me, this has been resolved. Thanks, all!
YAY!!! I am so glad that the situation has been resolved to your satisfaction. I agree that they should do whatever it takes to make it right.