Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Dubai, United Arab Emirates {ARE}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Dubai, United Arab Emirates {ARE}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by escape4
For 4 nights = $337 / 70k = 0.48%
For 5 nights = $337 / 56k = 0.60% because with 5th night free you pay 70k pts times 4 = 280k pts, which is 56k pts per night

Normally for 0.60% or above I pay with points
Sorry, but have to step in with a little currency/math correction. Dividing any currency by points should result in a currency answer, not a percentage (My bolding). Using USD as an example, the $337/70,000 (points) = $.0048 or 4.8 cents. Not percents.

I will buy points on a 100% bonus promo yearly and the resulting cost is 5 cents ($.05) per point. I generally only try to spend points when I get near that value or better, usually much better on a 5th night free stay. I have a stay next week that would either be $135/night or 30,000 points. The points would have cost me $150, so I'm paying cash and getting a bonus under the current promo. The total cost with tax is $317 for two nights, but even the elimination of taxes on the points stay isn't enough to sway me to use the points.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:45 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Sorry, but have to step in with a little currency/math correction. Dividing any currency by points should result in a currency answer, not a percentage (My bolding). Using USD as an example, the $337/70,000 (points) = $.0048 or 4.8 cents. Not percents.

I will buy points on a 100% bonus promo yearly and the resulting cost is 5 cents ($.05) per point. I generally only try to spend points when I get near that value or better, usually much better on a 5th night free stay. I have a stay next week that would either be $135/night or 30,000 points. The points would have cost me $150, so I'm paying cash and getting a bonus under the current promo. The total cost with tax is $317 for two nights, but even the elimination of taxes on the points stay isn't enough to sway me to use the points.
Then if we should worry about semantics, it's a ratio of currency per point, so you should say cents per point, not just cents. I was using a percentage of points in order to convert to a dollar value to compare with the price of the room.

And in your example it's 0.48 cents per point, not 4.8 cents per point.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Smile

Originally Posted by escape4
Then if we should worry about semantics, it's a ratio of currency per point, so you should say cents per point, not just cents. I was using a percentage of points in order to convert to a dollar value to compare with the price of the room.

And in your example it's 0.48 cents per point, not 4.8 cents per point.
You're 100% correct.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by birdiedouble

Someone already pointed out that $337/70,000 points = 0.48 cents/point.

If 30,000 points costs you $150, you're pay half a cent/point, not 5 cents.

When doing the comparison of spending cash vs. points, you should also take into effect the points you earn for the cash. E.g. $100 cash earns 2000 points vs. 20,000 points is the equivalent of 22,000 points vs. $100 cash. (Calculating points gets even trickier; base and bonus are based on pre-tax spend, credit card points are on the full price paid including taxes.)
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Good thread this, really helpful. I’m going to go for GI Al Murraqabat for an upcoming visit in late September. We are three, so I will book 2 rooms and two of us will share a twin room.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
How do you get to the Conrad from DXB? Is it really as simple as hopping on the redline to the world trade centre?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Yep, even when it is 40C plus, the Conrad is a walkable distance from World Trade Centre stop.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I don’t want to do the Waldorf Astoria for 16 hours in Dubai. If I was there for two days I would probably stay there. But since it’s so remotely located, and such a pain to get to, for only 16 hours and to show my friend the city I think the Conrad is best. They’ve already upgraded us to the executive level. Does anybody have any recommendations on rooms to request, and what views you should ask for at the Conrad? Near the elevator? Away?
They upgraded you on a free night certificate?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
They upgraded you on a free night certificate?
That isn’t uncommon in my experience. I’ve used them twice and been upgraded both times.

One of the times was at the Conrad in Dublin, from their most basic room to their biggest suite.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci

That isn’t uncommon in my experience. I’ve used them twice and been upgraded both times.

One of the times was at the Conrad in Dublin, from their most basic room to their biggest suite.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:50 pm

I actually did not end up using my free night certificate. The rate went down to $137 ($167 with taxes). Then I had a $75 coupon, so I just ended up paying about $96 for the lowest rate. I asked if I could be upgraded before check-in before booking via email, and they put me in a two bed deluxe suite with lounge access. Pretty generous.

As far as upgrades go I will usually email the property beforehand and ask if they can secure me an upgrade before check-in. If you happen to make contact with someone high up on the totem poll, they’ll usually upgrade you.

As far as getting to the Conrad from DXB is it as easy as just taking the red line tram to the World Trade Centre?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:08 pm

As far as getting to the Conrad from DXB is it as easy as just taking the red line tram to the World Trade Centre?
Yes, there is even a skybridge; see photo from google streetview below.

This hotel is the subject of a lot of debate and the general consensus is that it isn't the world-class property that it once was, but for what you're paying, I think it'll fit the bill nicely.
Attached Images  
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yes, there is even a skybridge; see photo from google streetview below.

This hotel is the subject of a lot of debate and the general consensus is that it isn't the world-class property that it once was, but for what you're paying, I think it'll fit the bill nicely.
I feel like it’s hard to be seen in such a positive light in Dubai with the amount of luxurious hotels and clubs. The fact that it’s a luxury resort, in the center of town, with a fast and convenient way to get there from the airport makes it a great luxury hotel to stay at for a quick overnight. In addition to the lounge and other amenities I’ve read about around the hotel, it seems like a perfectly acceptable luxury hotel. I’ll be curious when I get there to see what people’s complaints are. I’ve stayed at the St. Regis before, and I understand the whole luxurious mindset, and the high bar people set for Dubai. It’s hard to please everyone who has a different idea of what “luxurious” means to them in that city.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:26 pm

It’s hard to please everyone who has a different idea of what “luxurious” means to them in that city.
Agree with this. As a lifelong American east-coaster, I'm pretty easy to please.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Agree with this. As a lifelong American east-coaster, I'm pretty easy to please.
Agree with you. Give me a clean bathroom, and a nice pillow and I’m happy. The occasional free liquor, and club buffet won’t hurt either. But I don’t get angry if the silverware isn’t made out of gold 🙄. I’m originally from the west coast, but now basically live on airplanes.

Ill report back what I think about the Conrad compared to the other properties I have stayed at out there (which isn’t many having a residence there).

Last edited by NWplatinum; Sep 1, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.