Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gov't ID and Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:18 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Gov't ID and Hilton

What is the policy of hotel reservations and Gov't ID? What form is acceptable? I have my PIV card for the US Dept of Veterans Affairs (with my picture). Is that enough? Is there a special sheet or anything? Does front staff even ask?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
You should be fine, as I've never, ever had any hotel clerk refuse my Global Entry card.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You should be fine, as I've never, ever had any hotel clerk refuse my Global Entry card.
That's hilarious as global entry isn't really even gov't ID so to speak.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Agreed that it's not clearly identifiable as such anywhere, but it was issued by the Department of Homeland Security.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Agreed that it's not clearly identifiable as such anywhere, but it was issued by the Department of Homeland Security.
I believe the OP is asking about government ID in terms of government employee ID that shows that the OP is an employee of that government agency.
Beltway2A and JDiver like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
A government credit card to pay for the stay always works for me. I’ve never had to show my government ID card.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I've had mine refused in China, Japan and Korea but no problem in the stateside.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Government *employee* ID: YMMV. I've used a number of things, from credential cards, business cards, paper travel orders, etc. and never had a problem - other than a Radisson in El Paso that insisted on "written orders from my command" 🙄
The front desk asks about 30% of the time, if I were to put a number on it.

There is a huge thread in this forum on Hilton Govt rates and this is covered a bit there, I'm sure.

-or-

Government *issued* ID, like some above have taken this to mean, use any Government issued ID. Drivers lic, Global Entry, NEXUS, State ID card, Concealed Weapons Permit (though I got weird stinkeye from a hoplophobe once on that. Geez. they look exactly the same as a drivers license...)

i dont know why a hotel hotel would refuse or make issue of what type of ID card one checks in with though. Assuming the OP was talking ID necessary to get govt rate, I'd think the card used was the right choice.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
hoplophobe
I had to look that up so I learned a new word today. Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, KLM, HILTON HONOURS
Ive used the government rate in the UK and Europe but never in USA. I checked with Hilton and was told that UK government passes can be used in the USA. Hopefully this is correct for my next stay.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mac123
Ive used the government rate in the UK and Europe but never in USA. I checked with Hilton and was told that UK government passes can be used in the USA. Hopefully this is correct for my next stay.
That will depend on the specific rate for the specific property. The rate terms will be very specific, e.g. "US Federal government employee only" means just that. Some may be limited to a specific state, and some may include contractors and foreign officials.

It would be rare for there to be a "government rate" which did not have an explanation for what "government" means in the context of that specific rate.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
(Deleted as I misread the previous comment)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Most likely you will not be asked to show any proof or official ID. In some Asian countries - where they tend to follow rules more strictly - the chance is higher.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
I've been asked only a handful of times... I usually just show a CAC but anything resembling that works
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Twice a year or so. Always show CAC. I wouldn't think a veteran ID qualifies...so be prepared (twice a year) to pay up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.