Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gov't ID and Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by orca15
Twice a year or so. Always show CAC. I wouldn't think a veteran ID qualifies...so be prepared (twice a year) to pay up.
It's a security card issued for employees and contractors. It's a PIV card. Has my pictuire, name, expiration...etc. It is not a Veterans ID card like if I was a vet and wanted to get treatment at a hospital. I just didn't want to book the room and then realize it wasn't sufficient proof.

https://www.oit.va.gov/programs/piv/

Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Toughest enforcement in the US tends to be near military bases, large federal contractors and the like. Government rates are often capacity-controlled and in communities where most hotel staff will have friends and relatives who depend on those rates, they may also be more apt to enforce the rules because lax enforcement deprives the qualified use of an opportunity.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Toughest enforcement in the US tends to be near military bases, large federal contractors and the like. Government rates are often capacity-controlled and in communities where most hotel staff will have friends and relatives who depend on those rates, they may also be more apt to enforce the rules because lax enforcement deprives the qualified use of an opportunity.
So what you're saying is don't bother trying to use my card in Washington DC unless I have letterhead noting official travel orders?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
So what you're saying is don't bother trying to use my card in Washington DC unless I have letterhead noting official travel orders?
IME, not at all. Hotels in DC and the surrounding areas have not asked me for paper documentation of official travel in decades. However, they do tend to ask for government ID and/or Government issued credit card very regularly.

IME there's a lot of variation in terms of how often I'm asked for government ID at check-in and it can be very property dependent. Some hotels ask for it every time while others ask for it rarely, if ever.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry I am asking these possibly inane questions but I sometimes have to travel for work in this position to anywhere in the contiguous 48 states. I have little supervision and am kinda in the boat of just do what you need to do...so i don't get "travel papers" or other crap. And I just send off reimbursement requests so I won't have a gov't CC.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Sorry I am asking these possibly inane questions but I sometimes have to travel for work in this position to anywhere in the contiguous 48 states. I have little supervision and am kinda in the boat of just do what you need to do...so i don't get "travel papers" or other crap. And I just send off reimbursement requests so I won't have a gov't CC.
Your organization must issue you travel orders in order to comply with the FTR. Those travel orders are necessary for you to execute the travel and file a voucher for reimbursement upon your return.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
That ID will get you in any Hilton I have ever stayed in, including many many in DC. You are good to go.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by sannmann

Your organization must issue you travel orders in order to comply with the FTR. Those travel orders are necessary for you to execute the travel and file a voucher for reimbursement upon your return.

Not so. I travel without travel orders every time. Not everyone who qualifies for the federal government rate works for the federal government, once you read the fine print.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It never occurred to me to try to use a Global Entry card to "verify" government rate! My private pilot's license looks even more "government-y"

I'd also like to point how that a Hawaii State I.D. card look remarkably like a state employee I.D. card to those who don't live in Hawaii
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by orca15
Not so. I travel without travel orders every time. Not everyone who qualifies for the federal government rate works for the federal government, once you read the fine print.
Good point. Public sector workers also work for state and local governments, as well.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
A PIV card is a government employee ID. Its the non-DOD-equivalent of the CAC card. It should be sufficient, although I'm surprised properties haven't started insisting government credit cards be used to pay for the stays.

I have been asked a few times what company I work for when staying under the government contractor rate (which usually tracks the government rate closely, as many contractors will only allow stays up to the per diem). I've been asked what agency a few times as well, but never have had anyone at a Hilton property ask for ID. FWIW, I usually have my contractor PIV cards for a couple of different agencies with me just in case, and this has always been sufficient at Marriotts and other brands which do seem to ask more often for ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.