Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nightmare at Hilton Garden Inn

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jeanie
Something else occurs to me here. The OP is named Vickie, which is usually a girl/woman's name. Then she refers to her girlfriend. Maybe some homophobia is involved on the part of the desk agent?
Actually, if you look at my statement in context, I was responding to another post where the author was discussing his/her personal experience with homophobia. So I agreed with that poster that homophobia is serious. Diplomatico, I really don't know how you got all of that other info from my post. You assumed things that weren't there. Very undiplomatic of you...
Perhaps you'd care to re-think that I "assumed things that weren't there."
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Vickie, you took the time to start a thread on a message board to spur discussion. Since you felt so strongly to start this thread it is helpful if you participate in the discussion you started unless your purpose was to simply vent about the situation that you deemed a nightmare for you. Leaves just speculation on things those of us readers do not understand about your nightmare.
muji and KenTarmac like this.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Jun 27, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Perhaps you'd care to re-think that I "assumed things that weren't there."
I did ask if maybe homophobia was an issue. This is a discussion board, and people were theorizing about what might of happened. I don't know if that happened or not, but I was interested in getting other people's opinion.

There is a difference in asking whether people think homophobia is involved and calling a specific person a homophobe. If you had asked me to clarify, I would have been happy to do so. Your response to me was very confrontational and angry. I hope you find some peace in your life.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I did ask if maybe homophobia was an issue. This is a discussion board, and people were theorizing about what might of happened. I don't know if that happened or not, but I was interested in getting other people's opinion.

There is a difference in asking whether people think homophobia is involved and calling a specific person a homophobe. If you had asked me to clarify, I would have been happy to do so. Your response to me was very confrontational and angry. I hope you find some peace in your life.
Which is why you don't propose character slur theories on public forums.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
This wasn't the OPs first thread - she posted a detailed list of hotels around Charlotte NC with reviews earlier this month and apparently does a lot of business travel.
Well, as of now, she's got 3 posts total and 2/3 are thread starters.

As I understand it, OP is under no obligation to reply/repost in a thread she starts. I also believe that there are rude, crazy people everywhere and something like what she describes could happen (although I've never had it happen to me fortunately). But with posting history like above, she really doesn't exude credibility.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by simpleflyer
I think you (the OP, i.e. the hotel reviewer) may have used terms that didn't actually apply to your case. This may be part of your misunderstanding of the situation and your subsequent frustration.

First, although you speak of 'extending your stay' you didn't actually 'extend your stay', since that would involve changing the dates of your original reservation - say from one night in duration to two or whatever number of nights - and that can only be done prior to check in for that reservation. Had that been the situation, you might have a case for expecting a consistent room type throughout. However, there is no 'throughout'. Rather, you had three separate reservations, as in, three separate contracts. That you made them consecutively without physically removing your bags from the hotel in between each one, is irrelevant.

Again, contrary to what the Saturday morning desk clerk implied or what you understood, you had three different contracts. The terms in force for a given contract don't automatically follow for the next one, be it the terms you accept by virtue of your keying in your credit card number, or such optional freebies as may be your happy fortune to get when you actually check in. And notwithstanding what the Saturday morning desk clerk may have led you to believe, a reservation that begins Sunday night, does not start at breakfast Saturday morning, or even at breakfast Sunday morning, but at check in time for the Sunday night (14:00 or 15:00 or whatever is the hotel's policy for check in time, unless at their discretion they let one check in earlier than this.)

I agree that it would be better if desk clerks were consistent in what they relate to customers, and if it should happen that they contradict each other, the 'last one' in the line of clerks should note the fact and attempt to convey regret if somehow one of their colleagues confused you about hotel policy. That said, notwithstanding the Sunday clerk's apparent brusqueness in conveying to you the situation, you were not in a position to make demands as to why an optional, discretionary upgrade to contract terms that are awarded only at check in, should be awarded on the basis of a verbal 'contract' that you apparently came to think would somehow override, as a matter of customer right, what you agreed to when you keyed in your CC number for the third reservation.

The customer isn't always right, but they are ideally due politeness even and perhaps especially when they are being informed that someone at the hotel raised unrealistic expectations.
Actually normally they combine the reservations at the hotel. They can merge the separate folios together into one. Happens to me frequently. Regardless, they were promised something and it wasn't delivered.

As for upgrades, I've never not been given one at HGI that had an upgraded room type available . Most HGI have one or two basic room types (excluding accessibles). If they do have a slightly higher room type, then there's normally very few of them. I believe the lack of type of rooms is more why people don't see upgrades at HGI.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:44 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As for upgrades, I've never not been given one at HGI that had an upgraded room type available .
Ditto here.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually normally they combine the reservations at the hotel. They can merge the separate folios together into one. Happens to me frequently. Regardless, they were promised something and it wasn't delivered.
Indeed, they often combine the reservations, but I don't think that matters a lot here. The more important point is that whether you extend an existing reservation or make a brand new one, that doesn't automatically guarantee you a suite upgrade just because the prior night had one. It's entirely possible that between the time Vickie asked the FDC about availability and the time she actually added her extra night, things had changed.

I stay in Iowa (various hotels, brands) a few nights a year, usually along I-35 or I-80. I typically book these stays day-of or day-prior. This HGI has junior suites for a few bucks more than a regular room. Looks like a really nice place. It's entirely possible that I'd book it at noon the day of a stay. Therefore, a Diamond checking out of the suite that morning, suddenly deciding to try to add a night, might find that their free upgrade is no longer available.

As for upgrades, I've never not been given one at HGI that had an upgraded room type available . Most HGI have one or two basic room types (excluding accessibles). If they do have a slightly higher room type, then there's normally very few of them. I believe the lack of type of rooms is more why people don't see upgrades at HGI.
I get the "King Deluxe" thing a lot at HGI. Technically a mini-upgrade I guess. It's not a brand where I worry about upgrades to begin with, so *not* getting one would never be a "nightmare" scenario.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
17 years as a Diamond on nights, with, probably, 40 percent of my nights at Hilton Garden Inns, and I can count my upgrades on one finger...with one finger to spare.

Ditto - I don't think I've ever had a room upgrade at a HGI
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:41 am

This thread should be closed. Only people speculating about what may/may not have happened. Due to the lack of any OP responses, it looks like she posted this thread just to vent.
KenTarmac and birdiedouble like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I agree

Originally Posted by CHUD
This thread should be closed. Only people speculating about what may/may not have happened. Due to the lack of any OP responses, it looks like she posted this thread just to vent.

I think the thread has exhausted it’s usefulness. If the OP would like it re open ped to comment back on her experience, I encourage her to PM me. But for now the thread will be closed. Thanks for participating.Squeakr
co Mod HH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.