Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jermyn

SAII LAGOON – HONORS GOLD BENEFITS

Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Gold member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note that Gold benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Opening Promotion: 1000 Honors bonus points per Night (1-Aug to 31-Oct-2019)
  • Complimentary breakfast for cardholder and one guest per day in Miss Olive Oyl restaurant.
  • Complimentary breakfast will be provided in Miss Olive Oyl restaurant for the accompanying child under 12 years.
  • Free Access to bean/Co a la carte menu from 14.30 to 18.30.
  • Free Access to Miss Olive Oyl Pool Bar beverage a la carte menu from 17.30 to 18.30.
  • One bottle of White or Red wine upon arrival. Chocolate & Fruit amenities upon arrival.
(confirmed in writing to Points of Arabia)
Print Wikipost

SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
I read that WA does not allow self arranged transfers to their island? Not sure if the MLE-SAii-WA plan is doable, but I would be very interested.

Last edited by cennis; Aug 29, 2019 at 3:22 pm
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta

For the betterment of the FT forum, I asked about Diamond benefits (to add to the Gold benefit info posted upthread.) I also asked about other transport options. (However, with the “Oops, our bad, here’s free transpo” offer all year, this is sort of obviated.)

Dear Mr. Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant,

Warm Greetings from SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton!
Thank you for below mail. Please find below our comments for your reference.

1. What are the Diamond Benefits at this Curio property?

- Please find below Diamond benefits applicable at SAii Lagoon Maldives.

Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Diamond member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note that Diamond benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Hilton Honors rewards stay is based on 02 people, room only basis.
  • Complimentary breakfast for cardholder and one guest per day in Miss Olive Oyl restaurant.
  • Complimentary breakfast will be provided in Miss Olive Oyl restaurant for the accompanying child under 12 years.
  • Additional adult’s breakfast supplement is USD 25++ per person per day in Miss Olive Oyl Restaurant.
  • Extra child has to pay green tax USD 6 per night direct.
  • Free Access to Miss Olive Oyl Pool Bar beverage a la carte menu from 17.30 to 18.30.
  • One bottle of Sparkling wine upon arrival. Chocolate & Fruit amenities upon arrival.
2. Your website says there is "shuttle, speedboat, or seaplane" to get to the Crossroads Atoll. In addition to this, are there Dhoni ferries or other public local transportation if we want to go back and forth to Male and the Crossroads atoll during our stay?

- Our resort is accessible via 15-20min speedboat ride from Male’ international airport. We would not recommend local ferries, however it is still your choice to book own transportations at your own risk.

SUMMARY DIAMOND VS GOLD BENEFITS

-- You get sparking wine instead of white/red.

- You get access to the pool bar menu menu at 17:30-18:30.

POSSIBLY DIFFERENT, OR JUST THINGS NOT EXPLAINED IN GOLD BENEFITS
* Extra guests beyond two pax are $25 for breakfast?
* Kids pay $6 green tax.
* Award stays only include for 2 pax. (Kids/extra peeps are charged extra?)

...so it seems kinda like... no difference at all between Gold and Diamond at this property. I dunno. I don't drink wine, so the difference is lost on me if there's bubbles in my fermented grape juice or not.
UPDATE: they’re clarifying/changing the pool bar to Diamonds, no longer offering that to Golds.

And, while they don't "recommend it" there must be cheap local transpo back and forth to Male/other islands/atolls.

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; Aug 30, 2019 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
For the betterment of the FT forum, I asked about Diamond benefits (to add to the Gold benefit info posted upthread.) I also asked about other transport options. (However, with the “Oops, our bad, here’s free transpo” offer all year, this is sort of obviated.)

Dear Mr. Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant,

Warm Greetings from SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton!
Thank you for below mail. Please find below our comments for your reference.

1. What are the Diamond Benefits at this Curio property?

- Please find below Diamond benefits applicable at SAii Lagoon Maldives.

Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Diamond member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note that Diamond benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Hilton Honors rewards stay is based on 02 people, room only basis.
  • Additional adult’s breakfast supplement is USD 25++ per person per day in Miss Olive Oyl Restaurant.
  • Extra child has to pay green tax USD 6 per night direct.
  • One bottle of Sparkling wine upon arrival. Chocolate & Fruit amenities upon arrival.
2. Your website says there is "shuttle, speedboat, or seaplane" to get to the Crossroads Atoll. In addition to this, are there Dhoni ferries or other public local transportation if we want to go back and forth to Male and the Crossroads atoll during our stay?

- Our resort is accessible via 15-20min speedboat ride from Male’ international airport. We would not recommend local ferries, however it is still your choice to book own transportations at your own risk.

SUMMARY DIAMOND VS GOLD BENEFITS

-- You get sparking wine instead of white/red.

POSSIBLY DIFFERENT, OR JUST THINGS NOT EXPLAINED IN GOLD BENEFITS
* Extra guests beyond two pax are $25 for breakfast?
* Kids pay $6 green tax.
* Award stays only include for 2 pax. (Kids/extra peeps are charged extra?)

...so it seems kinda like... no difference at all between Gold and Diamond at this property. I dunno. I don't drink wine, so the difference is lost on me if there's bubbles in my fermented grape juice or not.
And, while they don't "recommend it" there must be cheap local transpo back and forth to Male/other islands/atolls.

They’ve reduced the Gold member benefits, it now make a bit difference to Diamond benefits.
See below for gold member benefits:
-
Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Gold member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note thatGold benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Opening Promotion: 1000 Honors bonus points per Night (1-Sep 19 to 28-Feb 20
  • Complimentary breakfast for you and up to one guest registered in same room each day of your stay in All Day Dinning restaurant.
  • Complimentary breakfast will be provided in All Day Dinning restaurantfor the accompanying child under 12 years.
  • Additional adult’s breakfast supplement is USD 25++ per person per day in All Day Dinning Restaurant.
  • Free access to bean/Co a la carte menu from 14.30 to 18.30.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wow. Their Instagram story today has the first guests arriving. The whole staff lined up on the boat dock, greeted the guests by giving them flowers, had an (assumedly) native drum show, a water flyboard guy was hovering above welcoming them with a flag, and the guests were all ferried in — on a submarine.

Gotta admit: Nothing at ALL like the Tulsa Doubletree.

🤣
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:39 am

Can someone provide me with the email address to the resort?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Can someone provide me with the email address to the resort?
This email [email protected] has answered my questions as well as able to make reservations.

TDM
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Seems they keep “enhancing” the benefits (using the BA definition anyway)

Visiting this weekend. The current email response says:

Due to the very special nature of the accommodations at our properties in the Maldives we are unable to offer upgraded accommodations. However, we are delighted to offer elite Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond Members alternate benefits: which can be found on www.honors.com, for both Gold and Diamond.

Please click here to view our specific Hilton Honors offerings in this region.

As a valued Gold Member, your perks at the hotel include:
  • Free Standard Internet access– just connect to the InSAiiders Wi-Fi network and enter your Last Name and Room Number.
  • Two bottles of complimentary water, which you will find waiting for you in your room
  • Late checkout upon request subject to availability
  • Homemade Roasted Nuts & Daily Cookies.
  • Free Access to Miss Olive Oyl Pool Bar Beverage a la carte menu from 17.30 to 18.30.
  • One bottle of White or Red wine upon arrival. Chocolate & Fruit amenities upon arrival.

link:
https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/.../maldives.html

will report back after the weekend!

Last edited by Expatbear; Oct 16, 2019 at 3:07 am
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Did they take out the breakfast or is that an oversight by them? They shouldn't be able to remove that benefit for Gold / Diamond at a Curio. Not planning to go anytime soon, but it certainly would be a concern.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by demue
Did they take out the breakfast or is that an oversight by them? They shouldn't be able to remove that benefit for Gold / Diamond at a Curio. Not planning to go anytime soon, but it certainly would be a concern.
yes I noticed it in the webpage too - not sure what’s up with that. I will investigate and report back!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The Diamond and Gold breakfast is a moot point at this time since they are offering free breakfast for 2 and free transfer for 2 on all published rates (to match the current Hard Rock Hotel grand opening offer, which is also part of the Crossroads complex). It makes no sense to book a points reservation at this time, since you would be subject to the transfer fee of $148 per person. Cheapest rates during the current sale for a base room run $300 a night, and include the aforementioned breakfast and transfer for 2, so spending points would essentially save you $2 on a 2-person booking over current published sale rates (not to mention all the points you’d be missing out on).
htran88 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by mastermc54
Cheapest rates during the current sale for a base room run $300 a night, and include the aforementioned breakfast and transfer for 2, so spending points would essentially save you $2 on a 2-person booking over current published sale rates (not to mention all the points you’d be missing out on).
although I know taxes are high in Maldives, I was surprised that my $300 room became a $381 room when it came time to click pay! Just a reminder... seems nothing is quite as it seems in these islands.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:20 am

What does this "Free Access to Miss Olive Oyl Pool Bar Beverage a la carte menu" mean?

One only gets free access? i.e. you still need to pay for the items from the a la carte menu? Is there usually a cover charge to access this pool bar?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:18 am

So... after a one-night stay at the SAii Lagoon Maldives, I can report the following:

First impressions were not great. There was no one waiting for us in the domestic arrivals, so we went on walkabout to find someone. After arriving at the information desk in the international terminal, the info person phoned and about the same time someone walked over and found us. He asked us to wait for a few minutes for "some other guests". Turned out it was about 50 other people and a wait of 20 minutes.

The "15 minute speedboat transfer" turned out to be a large passenger ferry seating 100 people that took just shy of half hour to get to crossroads.

When we docked at the marina, us and about 8 or ten other folks got off and into golf buggies from SAii. They drove us the 300 metres or so into the resort, where we were met by staff members for checkin as you might expect from a resort. Iced tea, cold towels, etc. A manger introduced himself and explained the "concept" and mentioned that SAii are owned by the same company that owns Singha beer.

We were checked in and then driven to our room. I had booked the least expensive room available, a Sky King. We were at the far end of the resort, just next to the overwater villas. The view was away from Male, and it was clear sea - no trash island in sight. Just beach and sea, really lovely. Photos of the room attached. If I went again I would be very happy with this room. The only downside was that the lower level rooms have direct beach access from the sliding door patio, and our room had just the patio- you had to walk outside and downstairs to the beach. The view was lovely though.

When we arrived we were given wristbands which were supposed to work on the door - they didn't. When we got to the room, the TV message was welcoming another guest. I pointed out - but the check in person ignored it and then waved it away.

There was no "welcome bottle of wine" as a gold member. I asked about this over lunch and again on checkout - apologies and fuss but nothing ever appeared. Finally at checkout I was offered two glasses of bubbly with breakfast. I said no thanks - not at 6:45 am.

The Mr Tom Yam menu looked really unappealing. I assume someone must imagine it's a good idea but it looked really not great. We left after looking at the menu and had lunch at the main restaurant - actually a delicious mezze spread and shared an aubergine parmigiana which was lovely.

After a drenching rain the sun came out again so we had a couple of hours on the beach, then moved over to the pool bar for happy hour. The bartender was a friendly South African chap who said it was his second shift at the property. He said the happy hour special included "everything but top shelf" - so we ordered our first round off the menu and then the second round of just a couple of pina coladas. When we asked for the bill, he said "nope, all on the house for happy hour! have a good evening!" We tipped him some cash as we left.

We were due to go for dinner at the crossroads "Kebab and Curry" restaurant, but lunch had been so abundant and we were tired so we walked back via the beach, read in the room and had an early night. Which was just as well, as we had an 0545 wake up call the next morning.

After being told that the breakfast opened at 6, we arranged a luggage collection at 0615. The chap collected the luggage and then offered us a ride to the front desk. He processed the check-out and then we waited for ten minutes for breakfast to open. It was quite a spread, and all very fresh and lovely. There was a self-service coffee machine which poured an acceptable flat white, so that was me sorted. The front desk chap came to collect us at 6:50 for the buggy ride over to crossroads for our 0700 speedboat departure. Seeing we were still finishing our breakfast, he said "it's ok, take your time... another 5-7 minutes!" That was fine, about what we needed to finish up. We did so, walked out, jumped on the buggy, and zoomed over to the waiting speedboat. We were the only passengers, which this time felt quite wasteful but made for a nice morning trip. This time it really was fifteen minutes from crossroads to the terminal. Nicest early morning airport transfer I've ever had.

The resort felt very quiet - and this was confirmed by the chap who checked us out, who said it was running about 26% occupancy at the moment. I see they are not worried about lowering their room rates or their redemption rates to draw people in as such!

All told, if you are able to get a decent rate from them, I would say it's probably worth it. It was a pleasant property, nice view (on our side anyway- I didn't go on the beach on the Male side). I am not sure I'd want it for a week, but then I'm not sure that's really my bag, so...

Enjoy!

Sky King room

Patio of Sky King room

Minibar contents

Minibar contents

Complimentary drinks - note the cafetières but no coffee provided!?!

welcome nibbles

Bathroom

Shower

Bathroom

minibar and closet

View from the beach on the sea side (not the Male side)

View of the overwater villas

View from the poolside bar (odd giant sand mountain visible)

Miss Olive Oyl pool bar menu
limkl1 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:28 am

More photos - breakfast, speedboat/ferry transfer, lunch

non-speedboat transfer on arrival

passenger ferry to crossroads

Lunch in the Miss Olive Oyl restaurant

Quite nice Middle Eastern mezze lunch

Breakfast buffet room

breakfast buffet

breakfast buffet

more breakfast

more breakfast

more breakfast

more breakfast

speedboat transfer to airport

inside speedboat to airport

Arrival at MLE departures via speedboat

Last edited by Expatbear; Oct 28, 2019 at 5:05 am Reason: removed photos with people (oops)
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador , Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
thanks for the pic's

did you get free breakfast as a Gold member ?

looking to spend a night in Dec after a week at Conrad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.