Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odds of a suite upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ozztraveller
I used to just book the cheapest room then on arrival and after they had applied the upgrades for the day ask how much it would cost for a suite. It always worked out cheaper than NOR1 which can vary between hotels as I have seen some want more than the initial difference when booked.
Very true - I've received some laughably bad NOR1 emails over the years, as well as some good ones.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Balor
Hi all—
Just hit Gold status for the first time and am wondering how to optimize suite upgrades. In your experience, is it best to book the nicest non-suite room and hope for a low-tier suite upgrade, or should I book a low-tier suite and hope for an upgrade to one of their very expensive premium suites (do they even give those out?). Also, do you ask for an upgrade at the desk when you check in, or will they do it automatically? Thanks!
Hilton upgrades is just to basic suites, not higher levels of suites and officially a HHD , not Gold perk, even then is optional to the hotel if they wish to give suite upgrades at all. In fact as HH-G I'd be booking exec rooms for lounge access rather than base room to get lounge access if hotel has a good lounge. This then means any upgrade is likely a JuniorSuite type room.

Hotels (all chains) will mostly upgrade to suites only if they need to, ie hotels frequently oversell basic 2-levels of rooms, knowing some guests will forfeit by not coming, if too few cancel hotel may need to use suites with foc upgrades, but will give depending on hotel to HHD or regular repeat guests, if need give to gold, then not a newly minted gold over a gold of many years standing (yes hotels see these details of members)

As HHD for some years I stay many HH hotels and know which ones give me suites and which don't, as a regular I even get suites from entry level at a few hotels, whereas others only suite if i book higher cat rooms. As always book the room you want/need, and any upgrade is a bonus.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Hilton upgrades is just to basic suites, not higher levels of suites and officially a HHD , not Gold perk, even then is optional to the hotel if they wish to give suite upgrades at all. In fact as HH-G I'd be booking exec rooms for lounge access rather than base room to get lounge access if hotel has a good lounge. This then means any upgrade is likely a JuniorSuite type room.
I'm a Diamond (CC, don't know if that makes a difference), and I've reserved a Junior Suite type room. Does my status include the ability to get upgraded to a nicer suite, or am I most likely to be given keys for the suite that I've already booked? Might be worth asking as the front desk when checking in -- I'm a bit of a Hilton newb, and don't really understand what's normal/possible in this situation.

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You'll probably get what you paid for, but it depends entirely on the hotel and occupancy.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
You will probably get what you reserved but frankly I have had a much higher percentage of upgrades from a Junior Suite to a One Bedroom Suite (or another kind of suite to a better one) than from a regular room to a suite.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Hilton needs to do what Hyatt does and give two suite upgrade awards with 50 nights and four with with 60 night and as long as a standard suite is available you can use it.

Seeing you need sixty nights a year to be diamond that would mean all diamonds that have the status through nights would have four suite upgrades for when they want them on personal travel. Just eliminate the suite upgrade benefit for diamonds and require use of the certificates.and it would be fair to everyone since four suite upgrades a year is very generous. And for every ten nights after sixty you can either have another suite upgrade ceret of 10K bonus points with hyatt (which is worth about 30K hilton ponts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.