Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Capacity controls for points redemption? (I am gold)

Capacity controls for points redemption? (I am gold)

Old Jun 15, 18, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta unvalued customer, HH Gold, CVS Red, US Mint Silver
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Question Capacity controls for points redemption? (I am gold)

Can anyone explain how booking with points works these days?

I went to the hilton web site and tried to make a reservation. The property did not show any rooms available for points nor dollars, for the night I have in mind. (It is a 1 night stay)

So I call the property and they say that a room is available. I ask if I can pay in points but they say I need to do that on line or with reservations. Since only one room is available, I ask them to book in dollars and will see what I can do about changing the reservation, once we have the room confirmed.

Next, I call Hilton. Once they locate my reservation, I explain that I'd like to convert from dollars to points. After several attempts and even escalating, it turns out that (so they tell me) the property has no more rooms available for points, for a 1 night stay on that particular night. Earlier, the Hilton agent said something about a points stay would need to be 3 nights or longer.

Are Hilton properties now able to capacity control points stays, and to set minimum night requirements as well?

To ice the cake, the Hilton agent told me don't worry. You will earn points and can spend them some other time, at a different property. Or perhaps not, if the other property is also making it hard to spend my points.

Do you want Marriott/SPG to kill you? Because this is pretty much how you do it.

Thanks gang. Any help is much appreciated.
Old Jun 15, 18, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hilton absolutely limits points availability and minimum stay for points. Pretty typical RM/IM in the hospitality business.
Old Jun 16, 18, 2:43 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
It's always been this way... Honors is not (yet) a completely revenue-based program where points always have a fixed value
Old Jun 16, 18, 6:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Yes. This is normal and, sometimes, frustrating.

I have an upcoming 3-night vacation. Due to award room availability and varying payment methods (points, cash, certificate), my stay was booked as 3 separate 1-night reservations. I completed the booking using the online chat function and found the agent very helpful and efficient.
wbl-mn-flyer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 7:27 am

Technically, if a room is available for cash, it should be available for points. I suspect strongly that, in this case, the hotel did not list the room as available with Hilton. They held it to book on their own for cash. They took your casg reservation knowing that, if it was their last room and you called Hilton reservations, the hotel would show as sold out. You could then ask a phone or US-based chat agent to switch to a points reservation. They would tell you (correctly) that, in order to make the points reservation, they would need to first cancel your cash reservation and that, when they do so, there is no guarantee that the room will become available to re-book with points. (There are often legitimate reasons for this - e.g. by the time you call to make the switch the hotel is oversold.) . There are two possible solutions. 1) Get a U.S. based chat agent and ask them to call the hotel and see if they can maneuver the switch to a points stay. If both the agent and the hotel are willing to play ball, this will work. (Aside from Diamond phone reps and Guest Assistance (i.e. complaints dept), U.S.-based chat reps are the only agents officially allowed to call hotels. 2) Call or email Guest Assistance and see if they are willing to step in. If you get the right rep who is in the right mood, they might. But, in general, Guest Assistance agents are much less likely and/or able to organize this kind of change.
wbl-mn-flyer and bluestrudels like this.
Old Jun 20, 18, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta unvalued customer, HH Gold, CVS Red, US Mint Silver
Angry

No luck with chat.

I tried Guest Assistance, also no luck.

Long live Marriott and SPG. They get my loyalty, these days.

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton View Post
Technically, if a room is available for cash, it should be available for points. I suspect strongly that, in this case, the hotel did not list the room as available with Hilton. They held it to book on their own for cash. They took your casg reservation knowing that, if it was their last room and you called Hilton reservations, the hotel would show as sold out. You could then ask a phone or US-based chat agent to switch to a points reservation. They would tell you (correctly) that, in order to make the points reservation, they would need to first cancel your cash reservation and that, when they do so, there is no guarantee that the room will become available to re-book with points. (There are often legitimate reasons for this - e.g. by the time you call to make the switch the hotel is oversold.) . There are two possible solutions. 1) Get a U.S. based chat agent and ask them to call the hotel and see if they can maneuver the switch to a points stay. If both the agent and the hotel are willing to play ball, this will work. (Aside from Diamond phone reps and Guest Assistance (i.e. complaints dept), U.S.-based chat reps are the only agents officially allowed to call hotels. 2) Call or email Guest Assistance and see if they are willing to step in. If you get the right rep who is in the right mood, they might. But, in general, Guest Assistance agents are much less likely and/or able to organize this kind of change.
Old Jun 20, 18, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer View Post
No luck with chat.

I tried Guest Assistance, also no luck.

Long live Marriott and SPG. They get my loyalty, these days.
Care to share what property this is? At the end of the day, it's demand that drives the inventory..
wbl-mn-flyer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 18, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluestrudels View Post
Care to share what property this is? At the end of the day, it's demand that drives the inventory..

Hampton Inn, Watertown, SD

Not exactly the Beverly Hilton during the Golden Globe Awards...

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Jun 20, 18 at 3:06 pm Reason: changed Academy Awards to Golden Globe Awards
Old Jun 20, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hotels.com Gold

This is really odd, I was expecting it to be like a NYC property on NYE.
My only next possible explanation is that they are really overbooked that particular night.. and sometimes these licensed owners have more leverage power to hold inventory than management itself..

For what's worth, there really isn't any Marriott properties nearby. Perhaps give IHG a go?
wbl-mn-flyer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 18, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluestrudels View Post
This is really odd, I was expecting it to be like a NYC property on NYE.
My only next possible explanation is that they are really overbooked that particular night.. and sometimes these licensed owners have more leverage power to hold inventory than management itself..

For what's worth, there really isn't any Marriott properties nearby. Perhaps give IHG a go?
I did not consider IHG, that's a great idea. Thank you!

Cash stay at Hilton property cancelled.

Cash stay at Holiday Inn Express, in a suite, for less money, booked.

No Hampton breakfast? Priceless.

Oh this story keeps getting better. Now that I make a posting on social media about the situation, finally Hilton is offering What Can We Do About This ?

MAYBE THINK ABOUT HOW TO TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS DURING BOOKING, OR WHEN THEY CALL YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE LINE, OR WHEN THEY REACH THE GUEST SERVICES DEPARTMENT. 30-60 MINUTES OF MY TIME SPENT, JUST TRYING TO GET HILTON TO DO THE RIGHT THING.

Hi wbl-mn-flyer,

I saw your public post about trying to book a reservation at the Hampton Inn in Watertown, South Dakota. You may have already made other arrangements, but I'd be happy to look into this for you. I'm curious about the dates you're looking to book, if you're willing to share. Again, if you've made other reservations, I completely understand - would still like to look into this one further for my own/my team's knowledge.

Thanks so much,
Lauren

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Jun 20, 18 at 3:55 pm
Old Jun 20, 18, 3:53 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton HHonors

Hi wbl-mn-flyer,

I sent you a PM to get the dates you're looking to book. Curious to see if we can look into this further for you.

Thanks,
Lauren