Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Impressively rude cust support agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impressively rude cust support agent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
I don't think the OP started the sarcasm, they were only stating the obvious. Logan should have replied with "duh".

Visitor (16:00:56 GMT) : I'd be happy to find the reservation number for you. it's on the receipt that I can't access.
You quote the exact line where OP started the sarcasm... Also, the receipt is not the only place the reservation number can be found, so OP was not "only stating the obvious." He was being a jerk. As Logan noted, the confirmation number would have been on OP's confirmation email.

All that being said, Logan's response is not appropriate customer service.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:36 pm

So where's the rest of the conversation..?

First thing a rep asks for is your name and confirmation #, which is easily accessed via the Hilton app or as Logan said, your confirmation email. OP set the sarcastic tone however, which Logan quickly pointed out was inaccurate. Logan should have rephrased his response though. There are ways you deal with people who bring the attitude first.

Personally I would keep Logan and just make him refresh his customer service training.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I’ve been misreading thread title as “crude rust support” in the recent posts section multiple times now.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
Originally Posted by cristo
He definitely shouldn’t have replied in kind to your sarcasm, but I’m not sure why you needed to bait him. I mean, he’s totally correct, right? You could easily get your confirmation number from the confirmation email, or from “past stays” in the app?
Exactly!!! I don't think anyone needs to lose their job but maybe some retraining. If I contacted customer service about a recent stay, I'd have my confirmation number from my original reservation in hand ready to supply it, to expedite the process.
Snickerdoodle likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:25 pm

Lol. OP is snarky and got a snarky response back. OP then reported the guy. Must be quite a peach to deal with in real life. Hope Hilton fires OP first.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Lol. OP is snarky and got a snarky response back. OP then reported the guy. Must be quite a peach to deal with in real life. Hope Hilton fires OP first.
We have to consider a lot of these chat agents are not in the US and maybe English is their second, third, etc. language and what they say/type and how they phrase things may not quite be how we expect to see it.

Despite that I do think the original poster may come off as rude and frustrated toward the agent, it is just no excuse for the agent to use "lazy" in the interaction. There is simply no excuse. Even had the agent said "did you not check your inbox for the confirmation e-mail?" I think I would have found them abrupt yes, rude, yes... but not enough so to warrant any complaint or similar. This, being called lazy... though... wow. I don't know. Hard to say if it warranted a complaint or not, given the original poster's behavior that baited the agent. Probably would have been a better situation to just write off and move on from... if I were original poster, I would not be proud of how I opened the interaction with the agent and would probably just want the whole thing to go away.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:46 am
jxd

OP was being an ... but that doesn't give the CSO the right to be rude as well. He should not be in the service industry.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:04 am

The agent works in Manila for a third party vendor. Some times these things are taken seriously (e.g. the agent was not provoked or there is a pattern of an agent being rude). Other times they're told not to do it again with a wink from their supervisor.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:09 am

Word to the wise: the agents that pop in to help with online reservations work for third party vendors in Manila, Jaipur or Sofia. They can lead you through how to make a reservation online but have no access to any Hilton system that is not publicly available. If you ask them a question related to your Honors account which will require verifying your identity (e.g. 'Could you tell me how many points are in my account?'), they have to transfer the call to a US based chat agent. They are among Hilton's best reps. US chat reps still can not make reservations for you, but they top notch.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:11 am

Maybe Logan thought "This guy is pretty funny. I'll say something funny in response." Unfortunately for Logan, the OP wasn't trying to be funny. He was being snarky and took Logan's response as snark.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Come on, people. OP was mildly snarky, but Logan was over the top sarcastic and rude. You don't call a customer lazy. Ever. Period. Logan should be fired.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
I had one of these chat agents tell me they could help with with my free weekend night certificate booking. They instructed me to book a best available rate and to then tell the property about my weekend night certificate upon check-in. I laughed at them and called to book.
Exact situation happened to me (except it was on the phone, not over chat)

Took a little back and forth at the hotel check in desk, but in the end, I did get my free night.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:07 am

I'm glad he didn't let you step all over him.

Everyone knows confirmation numbers come with the reservation email (well duh). He was trying to help you. This is the main way that you can retrieve / link a missing receipt.

Your actions of trying to get him in trouble are even worse since you started it.

Just because its chat its OK to do and say what you want and noones allowed to call you out on it? If you abuse someone IRL regardless of what profession don't be surprised when they are not happy. It might be their job to suck it up and be polite but at the end of the day you were rude to another human.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 23, 2018 at 6:44 pm Reason: remove unneccessary snark
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:17 am

This got my first laugh of the morning!

Not knowing the OP, and who knows if we'll hear from him again, but I'm going to go along the lines of he simply didn't connect all the dots. Maybe he didn't really mean what he said as sarcasm, but didn't give it a second to go look at his original reservation email, or look at his account for the confirmation number. Or maybe he isn't exactly a computer guy and hasn't never looked online at his account.

Customer service agents have one of the toughest jobs on the planet. They're generally low paid, yet their the face of the company they work for. AustinRob is never going to be able to contact the millionaire CEO, so he has to settle for Logan. Logan gets abused by DYKWIA people all day, every day. Sometimes, people like Rob just say the wrong thing, not intentionally. The customer service agent should have simply said "Do you have the original confirmation email at the time you made the reservation" or "If you are logged in to your Hilton Honors Account, please go to My Account, then..." But, the OP did immediately flair up the talk with what he said.

I suspect Hilton will say something like "Sorry for your experience. We have talked to Logan and will train him again remind him to be professional at all times". But in reality, Logan isn't even Logan, and Hilton will never tell anyone anything.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
Originally Posted by davie355
Exact situation happened to me (except it was on the phone, not over chat)

Took a little back and forth at the hotel check in desk, but in the end, I did get my free night.
I had a phone agent try to tell me that too. I promptly hung up and called again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.