Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New Diamond Level attained - how does the 48 hour guarantee work

Old Jun 7, 18, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

Does this mean that even if a hotel is "sold out", i can get a guaranteed room at that location as long as i make the reservation at least 48 hours in advance?
Old Jun 7, 18, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes.
From hilton.com:
  • Guaranteed reservations availability, subject to the restrictions stated herein, at hotels within the Hilton Portfolio when paid reservations are made before midnight hotel local time, two or more days (48 hours) prior to intended arrival. RESTRICTIONS: This guarantee does not apply to reservations paid for in part or in full by Hilton Honors Points, or free night certificates issued by Hilton. This guarantee does not apply to a hotel when that hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by 10% or more (meaning, 110% or more of rooms are reserved). For certain hotels within the Hilton Portfolio, this guarantee does not apply when that hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by 2% or more (meaning, 102% or more of rooms are reserved). Consult with the individual hotel or view hotels with the 2% cap to determine whether the 2% limitation applies. This guarantee also does not apply to any hotel during Extraordinary Demand Dates. The term "Extraordinary Demand Dates" are dates determined by the hotel and Hilton Honors, in their sole discretion, that are consistently popular reservation dates for guests, such as during major events in the area or New Year's Eve. This guarantee applies to only one room reserved with a valid credit card and occupied by the Diamond Elite Member. Please note that this guarantee does not impact the rate, and the reservations made under the guarantee will be subject to the hotel's prevailing rate for the accommodations requested. In the event the Member does not arrive as scheduled, or does not call to cancel and obtain a cancellation number, the credit card will be charged one night's room and tax. The 48-Hour Reservations Guarantee applies to reservations made online at a hotel Website, through Hilton Reservations and Customer Care, through the Diamond Special Services Department, or with the hotel directly. Promotional Rewards are not applicable for reservations booked under the 48-Hour Reservations Guarantee. The 48-Hour Reservations Guarantee may periodically be restricted in Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton hotels due to the extended stay nature of guest stays at the Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton brands. The 48 hour guarantee does not apply at the Conrad Maldives Resort & Spa, Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort and Spa, Ho'olei at Grand Wailea, Kingston Plantation Condos, Royale Palms, Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa or Hilton Grand Vacation.
Take special note of the restrictions, especially if there is a special event or if the hotel is overbooked by 2% then it does not apply. And review these threads:
Hilton Diamond Guarantee Reservation
Diamond 48-hr Guarantee Still a Thing?
Diamond force no more?
Frustrating about the Diamond Guarantee.
Old Jun 7, 18, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Honestly it's a bit of a joke. The prices are usually 2-3x normal and I still see lots of "sold out" even when there's not a big event or anything. Lots of the times the hotel says sold out it is just because they are imposing minimum stay restrictions, which the Diamond Guarantee doesn't usually seem to override.
Old Jun 7, 18, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Sometimes.
From hilton.com:

Take special note of the restrictions, especially if there is a special event or if the hotel is overbooked by 2% then it does not apply. And review these threads:
Hilton Diamond Guarantee Reservation
Diamond 48-hr Guarantee Still a Thing?
Diamond force no more?
Frustrating about the Diamond Guarantee.
ugh. special restrictions. So, it probably works some of the time LOL.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 18, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I think of it as “it is available except for when it is not available” and as noted the rates are very high.
When booking online you must be signed into your account and it will say diamond guarantee reservation (or at least it did when I was a diamond a year ago. I only used it once but it was very helpful.
Old Jun 12, 18, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
Honestly it's a bit of a joke. The prices are usually 2-3x normal and I still see lots of "sold out" even when there's not a big event or anything. Lots of the times the hotel says sold out it is just because they are imposing minimum stay restrictions, which the Diamond Guarantee doesn't usually seem to override.
Not a joke. I have used it MANY times and never paid 2-3 times the going rates. Usually get pretty good rates. I've used at HI, HGI, ES and DT.
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Not a joke. I have used it MANY times and never paid 2-3 times the going rates. Usually get pretty good rates. I've used at HI, HGI, ES and DT.
Respectfully disagree. I've tried to use it 5 times, 3 times it failed due to blackout dates and just 'nothing available'. 2 times successful, BUT at full rate. Meaning $350 at a Hampton, but it was the only Hilton in 100 miles (Ridgecrest,CA).
EuropeanPete and TSparky like this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely a YMMV. I’ve never paid full rack rate. And none of mine have been at blackout dates.
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott, Choice, IHG, Hertz FiveStar,
Congratulations on your new status. I am working on a Diamond Challenge hope to be one by August.
Old Jun 14, 18, 4:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
I've looked at using on it relatively "normal" London summer days where a particular hotel is sold out, but it does usually come in at 2x the price of a comparable hotel, so I've not yet found an attractive chance to use it.
Old Apr 8, 19, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Just got another no at Ridgecrest, CA for 4/23/2019. Apparently all the rooms that they have reserved for Diamonds have been taken. Er, no hold on, it's booked more than 110%. Er,no, wait, no it's a special blackout date. Three different excuses given by a 'customer no-service' agent when I called and escalated today. Diamond guarantee is such a joke, but I am done laughing.