Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Seattle Bellevue Downtown {US-WA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Seattle Bellevue Downtown {US-WA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Arrow Hilton Garden Inn Seattle Bellevue Downtown {US-WA}

(Apologies in advance as I'd wanted the photos embedded within the review as I went along. but that didn't work out)

Greeted as a Diamond by clerk, with mention of my preferences having been noted. However, I had been contacted in a voice call the previous day regarding anything I might need in advance, and was assured by the rep that although he saw points as the My Way choice, he would change to breakfast for me. Upon arrival, clerk saw points, but assured me he had changed my preference so that breakfast would show for the staff in the morning. Otherwise, standard check-in experience.

Start with the bathroom as it's the first thing one sees to the left upon entering ... I liked that the shower controls were easy to use, selecting desired temperature without a blast of very cold or hot water! Otherwise, it's a shower, with decent water pressure.Only bathroom-related "issue" was that it wasn't easy for me to locate the clean bathmat. Took a picture of toiletries as I could swear last time at an HGI they used bland Neutrogena (?) brand, not these more upscale-seeming Pharmacopia ones. Bathroom door was sliding "barn door" style with heavy opaque glass. Along the wall opposite the bed are the "kitchenette" (microwave, coffee maker and fridge) and desk area. Drawers located under the TV area, as well as shallow ones in the closet. To the left of the TV are four electric outlets. Bed was comfortable, although the sheets were a bit shorter than I'd like. Clock-radio had both line-out cables and Bluetooth capability, though I used neither. I believe there were three electrical outlets and two USB ports on the wall; the other nightstand has two outlets just under the night table also. Heating and cooling worked well. I did sit in the chair with some tea for a while, which was nuce. Sheets aside, I was quite pleased with the room.

Not wanting to go out, I decided to have dinner at the bar. Definitely NOT your standard HGI experience, which in my case has ranged from fair to poor. Chose the chicken, after the bartender assured me I could substitute mashed potatoes for the cauliflower, in addition to the brown rice-grain mix (Fareekah?) which seems to be a specialty. That last was interesting, and the chicken tasty (although a small portion), but the mashed potatoes were about the best I ever tasted - absolute 5 Star quality! Had a local beer as well, which was pretty good.One of my best Hilton dining experiences.

Then there was breakfast ... unfortunately, rather a mixed bag. Hostess recognized my status, confirming complimentary unlimited buffet. No sign of any server, though the hostess had mentioned one, so I got my own coffee (small, demi-tasse-like cups rather than mugs) and juice. Ordered an omlet from the cook, but unlike other HGI's I was expected to pick it up myself, rather than a table# assigned for the server to bring it. The cook was a nice guy doing a good job, and the hostess brought out a clean bottle when she noticed me struggling with one stuck shut from congealed syrup. The server, however, was little in evidence except to clean a couple of tables, and later ask me if I wanted anything in a rather desultory manner after I had obtained my own coffee and omlet. She did, however, make a point of presenting a check, with the $17 charge crossed out, for me to sign. I did so entering ZERO in the tip and total lines. I was thinking of leaving a dollar in cash, but decided against it. The food was fine, and as mentioned the hostess and cook did a good job. So, perhaps it was an "off" day, but that was my experience. Location really convenient to the express bus to downtown Seattle (two blocks away from the Transit Center), as well as anything else in downtown Bellevue. Overall, this is a great location, very nice new rooms, and good food.

Recommended, although prices can be a bit steep given its location for corporate clients; I snagged a fairly low prepaid rate.

Design made me think at first something nasty had spilled, or exploded!

Outlets behind my bag

Check-in desk with front door to the right

Bar and restaurant area with breakfast to the right side beyond

View of interior courtyard which I did not visit

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jun 7, 2018 at 8:32 am Reason: photos
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Thanks for the great review! Sounds like a decent place overall.

Can you tell me if they had any sort of grab bar(s) in the shower? I always appreciate those. Also I noticed that they don't seem to have a drawer in the nightstand -- just an open shelf. I've seen other hotels doing the same thing when they remodel, maybe to save money. I prefer a drawer.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
No, there wasn't any grab bar that I recall.

This one seemed so upscale compared to HGI Renton, even though that one was remodeled recently. I used the open night table space to store the magazine on the small table by the chair, so as not to spill tea on it.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:45 am

How is the pool here? How big is it, and is it nicely heated?

I've stayed at HGI in Issaquah and Bothell... both pools too small.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm actually staying at this property right now. Stopped by the pool area after breakfast to take a look, finding that it is indeed rather small. Spoke with some guests who say that the water is fine, but when the pool area is busy it gets really crowded and noisy.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Aug 5, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:15 pm

Thanks a lot for the info!
Looks like this hotel will not be able to be a pool staycation option for us then.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They must have gotten an awful lot of complaints about the service, because the breakfast staff now are almost so fawning that they stop short of buttering your toast for you!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Planning on staying here for two nights in June. Any recent visits and reviews? Looks very decent, but wondering if the Hilton Bellevue might be an option too. Both at 50k points/night.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by florens
Planning on staying here for two nights in June. Any recent visits and reviews? Looks very decent, but wondering if the Hilton Bellevue might be an option too. Both at 50k points/night.
The Hilton Bellevue is a much older hotel and isn't really walkable to downtown Bellevue. Having said that, since you have Diamond status, you probably want to check and see how the Hilton Bellevue handles breakfast and what the upgrade success rate for Diamonds is.

Neil
florens likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am quite familiar with both properties. Not exactly sure what the difference is you're looking to discover, but here are my thoughts as a comparison between them.

Hilton Garden Inn is centrally located near the business district, an easy walk to the mall, stores, Etc. Express bus to downtown Seattle leaves from the public library one block away. The building features a center courtyard, with upgraded rooms being ones facing the inside, or the larger corner rooms. As a diamond, you stand a good chance of being upgraded, though you may have to ask at check-in. Standard HGI breakfast situation, although they do not bring your food to your table, so standing around waiting near the grill can be hectic if they're busy that day.

As noted, the Hilton is a bit dated, although they have refurbished some of the executive level rooms. There are a couple of Hilton Honors floors where they would likely put a diamond member, with one of them hosting the executive lounge, really just a section of the hallway in front of the elevators where they provide an evening reception and morning breakfast. They do not advertise the fact, but diamonds have the option of breakfast at the restaurant free as well; you need to give you a room number to the server beforehand. That option features cook to order eggs, as well as the food brought to you at your table. Walking into Bellevue is not a particularly attractive option, as in addition to the distance the city center is seriously up hill. They run a local area shuttle I believe every 30 minutes? To go to downtown Seattle that way, you would have them drop you off at the transit center. They do upgrade diamonds to the Hilton Honors floors, although you may have to gently bring up the fact at check-in.

I confess I don't know much about gym facilities or parking. For 50K, I'd go with the Hilton if you have a car, and the HGI if you don't as my best advice.
florens likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by missamo80
The Hilton Bellevue is a much older hotel and isn't really walkable to downtown Bellevue. Having said that, since you have Diamond status, you probably want to check and see how the Hilton Bellevue handles breakfast and what the upgrade success rate for Diamonds is.

Neil
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I am quite familiar with both properties. Not exactly sure what the difference is you're looking to discover, but here are my thoughts as a comparison between them.

Hilton Garden Inn is centrally located near the business district, an easy walk to the mall, stores, Etc. Express bus to downtown Seattle leaves from the public library one block away. The building features a center courtyard, with upgraded rooms being ones facing the inside, or the larger corner rooms. As a diamond, you stand a good chance of being upgraded, though you may have to ask at check-in. Standard HGI breakfast situation, although they do not bring your food to your table, so standing around waiting near the grill can be hectic if they're busy that day.

As noted, the Hilton is a bit dated, although they have refurbished some of the executive level rooms. There are a couple of Hilton Honors floors where they would likely put a diamond member, with one of them hosting the executive lounge, really just a section of the hallway in front of the elevators where they provide an evening reception and morning breakfast. They do not advertise the fact, but diamonds have the option of breakfast at the restaurant free as well; you need to give you a room number to the server beforehand. That option features cook to order eggs, as well as the food brought to you at your table. Walking into Bellevue is not a particularly attractive option, as in addition to the distance the city center is seriously up hill. They run a local area shuttle I believe every 30 minutes? To go to downtown Seattle that way, you would have them drop you off at the transit center. They do upgrade diamonds to the Hilton Honors floors, although you may have to gently bring up the fact at check-in.

I confess I don't know much about gym facilities or parking. For 50K, I'd go with the Hilton if you have a car, and the HGI if you don't as my best advice.
Many thanks for both your replies. We will have a car but relatively easy access to Seattle for us is a plus, so I think we'll go with the HGI. Thanks for the bus info.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Updated review

When I went to do OLCI for a recent stay, I was shown a one-bedroom suite as "their" selection on my reservation for a basic King room - woo hoo! So, here are the pics of what to expect if you're considering booking that, or are pre-upgraded as well. Comments in the captions, except that there was a connecting door, they were a bit noisy at first, but went out (to dinner) and nothing more. Bedroom and master bath doors are opaque barn style.

Living room view from entrance

Better lighting next day including kitchenette area

Bed situation identical to regular room

View from bed!

1/2 bath to the right of front door (opposite closet)

Contrary to initial impression, NOT a whirlpool/jacuzzi but just a large tub; single occupancy only. Lack of grab bar a definite minus here.

Shower was fine, but notice that the extended "lip" of the tub functions as toiletries shelf, a bit of adapting for me being in back and rather low.
Westcoaster likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

This is the made to order omelet at breakfast ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.