Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bogota - Calle 100 {COL}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bogota - Calle 100 {COL}

Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bogota - Calle 100 {COL}

I'm going to put the Double Tree Calle 100 Bogota on blast here. Mainly because the new GM is garbage, and also a liar. I was a regular here. Staying usually a week or two, and using 1-5 rooms at a time. One day the ceiling of my room flooded onto my luggage causing damage to a nice pair or shoes, and well causing some issues as everything was wet and I was leaving. I mentioned this to the staff and emailed the hotel they never did anything about it. I had a talk recently with the new GM, and let him know he needed to contact their insurance to reimburse me as the hotel did nothing to compensate me. He promised to fix it. This was never fixed. Hilton corporate gets back to me, and tells me that they are not responsible for items left behind in rooms, and offered 10,000 points for the trouble. Which doesn't pertain to my issue. I typically spend around $500 or so on shoes, and they owe me a new pair of shoes plus the cost of dry cleaning my clothes etc. Do I have any rights here? I know if I flooded my room I would be on the hook for expenses. Why can a hotel room have a leak and damage my belongings, and not owe me anything. So much for the service guarantee here..
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
Honestly no idea Hilton's direct liability and it seems they should have some but one avenue to consider might be Credit Card Travel Insurance/Liability that you booked with.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think hotels are liable for personal belongings left in the rooms. I think this may be one to take up with your home or travel insurance and let them deal with the hotel's insurance if they want to.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
The belongings weren't "left" in the room. I was in the room with my luggage, and the celling poured water out for a minute or so. So from what you are all saying, a hotel room can flood etc and the property is not responsible? I wasn't carrying insurance at the time, and even if I was the damages are under $1000, so wouldn't be worth a claim.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 10, 2018 at 2:46 am Reason: expletive deleted
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Whether the belongings were 'in the room' or 'left in the room' doesn't matter. Where you were doesn't matter. I don't think anyone here can tell you what the precise hotel liability situation is in Bogota. That will be a case of (i) the hotel's policies, (ii) the agreement the operator has with Hilton (if any), and (iii) the country-specific legislation.

I get the impression that the hotel is rather indifferent to this issue, which tells me that there is either no requirement or specific laws. Perhaps the hotel has a policy of very limited liability for guests belongings, as with the Montreal Convention for airlines. That your shoes cost $500 will not be a concern for the hotel. Now, they may do right by you, but equally they may tell you to pound sand. This is why I would run it through travel insurance first, then home insurance.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I learn something new everyday. I've purchased Renters insurance since then, so looks like I'll use that if this were ever to happen again (I doubt it, and hope not) I guess I'll just leave them some more nasty trip advisor reviews, and be sure my friends that stayed there do the same... If I get nothing out of this I'll be sure they lose some revenue..
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by ryan754
I learn something new everyday. I've purchased Renters insurance since then, so looks like I'll use that if this were ever to happen again (I doubt it, and hope not) I guess I'll just leave them some more nasty trip advisor reviews, and be sure my friends that stayed there do the same... If I get nothing out of this I'll be sure they lose some revenue..
I would call Hilton once a week and let them know the hotel has done nothing to resolve your issue. Also that your blongings were damaged from the hotels plumbing problems and not left behind. This has worked for me a few times in the past. Once the hotel wanted to know what it would take to get my wife to stop calling Hilton. I was very satisfied after that conversation.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:05 am
Suspended

Out of interest, I just had a look on my UK travel insurance provided by Amex. For this the following points apply to damage/loss of personal items:

- excess of 50
- maximum total coverage of 2,000
- maximum coverage of 500 for any one item
- report must have been filed with police or accommodation provider within 48 hours of incident
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ryan754
I'm going to put the Double Tree Calle 100 Bogota on blast here. Mainly because the new GM is garbage, and also a liar. I was a regular here. Staying usually a week or two, and using 1-5 rooms at a time. One day the ceiling of my room flooded onto my luggage causing damage to a nice pair or shoes, and well causing some issues as everything was wet and I was leaving. I mentioned this to the staff and emailed the hotel they never did anything about it. I had a talk recently with the new GM, and let him know he needed to contact their insurance to reimburse me as the hotel did nothing to compensate me. He promised to fix it. This was never fixed. Hilton corporate gets back to me, and tells me that they are not responsible for items left behind in rooms, and offered 10,000 points for the trouble. Which doesn't pertain to my issue. I typically spend around $500 or so on shoes, and they owe me a new pair of shoes plus the cost of dry cleaning my clothes etc. Do I have any rights here? I know if I flooded my room I would be on the hook for expenses. Why can a hotel room have a leak and damage my belongings, and not owe me anything. So much for the service guarantee here..
Hotel will quite rightly imho expect you to claim under your insurance. Hotel may comp a night as a recovery gesture. Hotel manager won't pay from hotel funds, would have to explain to owner, managers are limited to offering rooms/meals foc in reality

Even if hotel had insurance that insurance would no doubt have terms such as
i)only pay if guest has no other insurance can claim on, eg home all risks, CC insurance, travel insurance
ii)not compensate new4old, but compensate regards wear+tear+age
iii)limit per item/type, ie not pay for $3000 saville row suits/coats, $500 shoes, $2000 suitcases/handbages etc

Hotel will limit their exposure to maybe the free night of your room. Or you claim free night under 100%satisfaction promise at some hotel-brands

Then also if was guest in room above who flooded their room causinfg water into your room below, then not really the hotels fault. Maybe claim off occupant in room above !
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether the property has insurance is none of your affair. If it is obligated to cover your damages, it is obligated to cover your damages and it then deals with its own insurance carrier if it chooses to do so. Particularly in commercial situations where the maximum liability is likely to be $100 (remember, fair market value of a $500 pair of shoes is nothing near that if you've worn them a time or two)..

Thus, the process is that you file a claim with the property for the damage done to you, e.g. shoes + presumably washing your clothes. Most travel insurance carriers require that you at least make that attempt. If you agreed that the property is not responsible for personal belongings, the answer is pre-ordained.

If the claim is denied or not fully paid, you then claim the balance against your insurance if it is worth the claim.

No need to call people liars and turn this into more than it is. Claims such as this are processed around the world every day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.