Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Triple Points for Amex Card Holders in July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Triple Points for Amex Card Holders in July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by sannmann
What if our work requires us to put the stay on a company Visa card? Does that mean only double points, despite having the Amex?
Seems pretty obvious.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have a 52,000 pt reservation for a room that would cost $274 after taxes...should I switch to paid for this promo? We'll probably have $200 more charges above and beyond room and tax (restaurant, valet parking) - would those spends also get the triple points, even if I'm on an award stay?

Last edited by Eujeanie; Jun 4, 2018 at 12:19 am Reason: meant to say "even if on an award stay"
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have a 52,000 pt reservation for a room that would cost $274 after taxes...should I switch to paid for this promo?
That's over .5 cpp, so a decent redemption these days. Whether to pay cash or points really depends on whether you're in earn or burn mode.

We'll probably have $200 more charges above and beyond room and tax (restaurant, valet parking) - would those spends also get the triple points, even if I'm on a paid stay?
Depends on the property. I've found most Hiltons accrue on everything, but you might want to ask in the property thread.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have a 52,000 pt reservation for a room that would cost $274 after taxes...should I switch to paid for this promo? We'll probably have $200 more charges above and beyond room and tax (restaurant, valet parking) - would those spends also get the triple points, even if I'm on a paid stay?
If you’re using a Hilton credit card that earns 12x points or better, you’d earn about $50 in points (valued at .4 cpp), for the $274 stay once you tack on the 3x bonus and Diamond/stay points.

Not a bad payout. If you were running low on points you might consider it. I have a 5 night award booking in Sydney that I had to do the same calculations on. However, with the one free night with 5 booking, I’m sticking with the award.

Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I checked my Hilton account and does not see the offer. Just wonder how I can register for 3 points per dollar.
According to the e-mail I received if you registered for the 2x promotion you are automatically registered for this one.

The subject line was about the 2x promotion, the details about the July promotion were in the body of the email.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:16 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

A few quick updates on your questions...
  • Hilton Honors American Express Card Members registered for the Double Points Promotion will receive Triple Hilton Honors Points on every stay from July 1st – 31st when they use their Hilton Honors American Express Card on eligible Hilton stays. After July 31st, members will revert to earning Double Points through the remainder of the promotion. No additional action is necessary.
  • Re: promotion stay period - for nights that fall within the month of July during an eligible stay, members will receive Triple Points for the July nights and Double Points for the non-July nights. So for example, the stay from June 30th - July 5th, you would earn Double Points for the night of June 30th and Triple Points for the remainder of the stay since it falls within the promotion window in July.
  • The promotion is currently only available to Hilton Honors American Express Card Members. If there are any future promotions with other co-brand cards, we'll be sure to share the details here with you.
  • If you've prepaid with your Hilton Honors American Express card, you will still be eligible to earn Triple Points - the stay must transact with the American Express card. If you use another type of card at check-in for incidentals and the stay transmits with that card type, it would not qualify for the Triple Points.
Reach out if you think of anything else.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:19 pm

If I decide to keep a points reservation, will I get triple points on the other spend (restaurant, valet, etc.) as long as it's charged to the room and paid for with an Amex? Or does there have to be a paid room stay involved? (I might decide to switch to paid, but I just want to know).

Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Just to confirm my estimates...

$100 in eligible spending (Diamond member with a Surpass Card) should earn:

1,000 base points
1,000 Diamond Elite Bonus
1,000 Q2 HHonors Double Points Promotion
1,200 Amex Surpass Points (12 points per dollar)
2,400 Amex July Triple Points

6,600 Total HHonors Points
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few quick updates on your questions...
  • The promotion is currently only available to Hilton Honors American Express Card Members. If there are any future promotions with other co-brand cards, we'll be sure to share the details here with you.
Reach out if you think of anything else.

Thanks!
Lauren

Hmnnnn..... not feeling valued.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I would read the offer like this (using your number - hopefully I'm wrong and more points can be earned)

1,000 base points
1,000 Amex July Triple Points

5,200 Total HHonors Points
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I second that.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by aww3583
Just to confirm my estimates...

1,000 base points
2,400 Amex July Triple Points

6,600 Total HHonors Points
My take is that you will receive 2,000 Q2 promotion points instead of 1,000.

If Amex wanted to triple your points they wouldn't make you register at Hilton they would just give you 36 points per dollar.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:31 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
If I decide to keep a points reservation, will I get triple points on the other spend (restaurant, valet, etc.) as long as it's charged to the room and paid for with an Amex? Or does there have to be a paid room stay involved? (I might decide to switch to paid, but I just want to know).

Thanks.
Hi Eujeanie,

Yes, reward stays would qualify and members would receive Triple Points for incidentals charged to the room (excluding brands per the T&Cs: Hampton, Tru, Homewood Suite, Home2 Suites) - so long as the American Express card is the settlement card at the time of check-out.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi Eujeanie,

Yes, reward stays would qualify and members would receive Triple Points for incidentals charged to the room (excluding brands per the T&Cs: Hampton, Tru, Homewood Suite, Home2 Suites) - so long as the American Express card is the settlement card at the time of check-out.

Thanks!
Lauren
Thanks, Lauren, good to know.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Lauren,

Can you comment on the differing points-earning scenarios above? There seems to confusion as to what’s being “tripled”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.