Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Compulsory $3.29 “gratuity” for Honors breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compulsory $3.29 “gratuity” for Honors breakfast

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by steve4031
The scenario described by OP is not acceptable.
+1
Old May 27, 2018, 10:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Andriyko
This happened to me a full service Hilton (Hilton Times Square). The waiter chased after me to sign the bill and leave a tip.
The scenario described here is being chased with a receipt that has only one entry which states “15% gratuity $3.29”

It was not a receipt with a zero balance and a place to leave a gratuity, it was a receipt pre-populated with this $3.29 listed as a charge, and an option to add a further gratuity which was calculated as a percentage of $3.29!
Old May 27, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Before you all get too worked up about the additional gratuity business, I suspect that such is a feature of the software programming for any restaurant checks. I don't think the management or server were necessarily involved, more that this was some sort of an automatic feature. Looks funny, but not a deliberate extra grab.

In this case, chasing you down was the tacky part. He should have presented the check before you left, or left it alone and lived with whatever cash tip you might have left or not. I understand that Hilton Garden Inn has a real problem in this regard with folks not leaving tips for breakfast. If I know that I'm going to be staying at this chain, or a similar one where the breakfast has a theoretical cash value for non-elite diners, I will leave a couple of bucks in cash. If they leave a zero receipt (with tip line), I write Zero on the tip and total lines, and don't sign it.

I would have not only refused to sign the check, but complained to the management, as well as possibly posting to Trip Advisor about this practice, which is not normal in the United States; most Americans, including New Yorkers, would find this incredibly tacky and rude.
Diplomatico and hi55us like this.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
I've seen a lot of this at various hilton properties, more so in NYC than anywhere else. Having said that, I will sometimes ask for a zero balance bill, so I can indeed leave a small tip. Easier for me to expense of if it's on the hotel bill, as opposed to.'sundry expenses'.

For better or worse, the people rely on tips for a living.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:59 am

I may be the odd one, but in the US, I always tip on the free Diamond breakfast except at limited service properties like Hampton and HWS. If anyone is serving me (even just bringing drinks like at HGI), I leave a tip.

I've never experienced the mandatory tip thing, and I agree it's not acceptable.
TSparky and ptownca like this.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
I have no problem adding 20% to bills in the US and just think of it as an added expense, not a tip. It'd have to be terrible for me to leave less than 15 and this had never happened to me. However, I find automatically adding a tip or putting it on a bill where you have to manually remove/adjust it rather distasteful.
TSparky likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by englisha
I have no problem adding 20% to bills in the US and just think of it as an added expense, not a tip. It'd have to be terrible for me to leave less than 15 and this had never happened to me. However, I find automatically adding a tip or putting it on a bill where you have to manually remove/adjust it rather distasteful.
Is a 'service charge' common in Britain?
Old May 27, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Is a 'service charge' common in Britain?
Hi,

Generally not but in some restaurants there is now a sign at the bottom of the menu saying " 10% service charge for parties of X ( 6 in my experience) but in some london hotel restaurants I am begining to see the service charge appear.

Regards

TBS
Old May 27, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by zachary
I may be the odd one, but in the US, I always tip on the free Diamond breakfast except at limited service properties like Hampton and HWS. If anyone is serving me (even just bringing drinks like at HGI), I leave a tip.

I've never experienced the mandatory tip thing, and I agree it's not acceptable.
You are by no means off. It is common custom to tip 15-20% of the approximate value of the meal. When it is not discounted and paid in cash, this is easy. When it is discounted, the staff should still be tipped on the full value, and when it is included in the room rate or otherwise a freebie, one estimates the meal's cost and tips on that.

There is no need to obsess on the value of an extra piece of toast, just leaving $2-3 for your breakfast should not be that hard.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Generally not but in some restaurants there is now a sign at the bottom of the menu saying " 10% service charge for parties of X ( 6 in my experience) but in some london hotel restaurants I am begining to see the service charge appear.

Regards

TBS
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but for the past few years I have noticed restaurants in the UK (and particularly London) adding a 15-25% service charge to the bill; on most occasions, when I ask for it to be removed, it is done but the entire experience is unpleasant. I feel that the restaurants do this on purpose knowing fully well that most diners will not want to make a fuss, especially if they are in the company of others.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andset1191
Regarding your statement about Priority Pass lounges, I was not aware it was custom to leave gratuity after serving yourself at a buffet?
The Priority Pass benefit mentioned is at full-service restaurants at airports where PP doesn't have an agreement with an airline club. For instance, this is the case at Denver where the PP Card gives you a $28/pp value to use at a specific restaurant. So, not a buffet, but regular table service where a gratuity would be appropriate.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
All of this drama over a request for a $3.29 gratuity.....in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Laughable at best.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
All of this drama over a request for a $3.29 gratuity.....in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Laughable at best.
The drama was over the requirement not the amount.
lukew likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Why do you think it is about the amount? It is about the standard.

Really if someone tells me, here is a free breakfast, and after eating someone else comes to me with a bill I would feel royalty screwed no matter what the amount.

This is about brand standard and a hotel adhering to it. Looking at this the other way, does Hilton really care about 3.29 and does charging that really foster loyalty? If they do they should raise the room rate with 3.29...

Globalist
lukew, muji and hi55us like this.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Portolan
The Priority Pass benefit mentioned is at full-service restaurants at airports where PP doesn't have an agreement with an airline club. For instance, this is the case at Denver where the PP Card gives you a $28/pp value to use at a specific restaurant. So, not a buffet, but regular table service where a gratuity would be appropriate.
Which is - of course - absolutely acceptable.

Here the situation is being forced to leave a gratuity at a self service buffet; not at a full service restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.