Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

If you are on points and don't pay the resort fee...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you are on points and don't pay the resort fee...

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Why would you get them if you didn't "pay" for them?
Same reason you get a room even if you didn't pay for it (in $)
Old May 23, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Michael El
Bull! The points were earned are now being redeemed for the room.
A member benefit is no resort fees on award stays
Old May 23, 2018, 10:44 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If the F&B credit is given as a deduction off the final bill, then surely the final bill will also have a record of whether the resort fee was charged
Old May 23, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I am in the camp that the resort fee should be comp'd with a points stay, especially for a Diamond. But then, I am against resort/facility fees altogether. It's a very shady business practice and, even if disclosed at booking, a deceptive practice. It's just a matter of time before the FTC gets called in to set rules where the property must present total nightly rate when searching room rates. If the property delivers a worthy product then price it accordingly, don't hide behind sneaky fees. And don't even start with arguments about subsidising benefits you don't use. Why should people on the first floor or take the stairs subsidise elevator repairs?
Old May 23, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I am in the camp that the resort fee should be comp'd with a points stay
They are.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
They are.
Unless you are at a property that doesn't... Read post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29782778-post1.html ?
Old May 23, 2018, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Unless you are at a property that doesn't... Read post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29782778-post1.html ?
That just brings me back to my first post in this thread???
Old May 24, 2018, 6:40 am

...It's just a matter of time before the FTC gets called in to set rules where the property must present total nightly rate when searching room rates.
This comment seems to be mentioned every time resort/other fees become standard in a city. Resort fees have been around for a long time now, especially popular in cities like Las Vegas.

And guess what - the FTC has already reviewed such practices! They would prefer resort fees be bundled with the room rate, but refrained from requiring such. They appear to be ok with the resort fee being mentioned on the same pages that you view to see the total price, as that doesn't require additional research to determine what the total price will be. Also, this research was published in 2017, so the information is current.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:34 am

That just brings me back to my first post in this thread???
I agree - this thread is going around in circles.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I am against resort/facility fees altogether. It's a very shady business practice and, even if disclosed at booking, a deceptive practice. It's just a matter of time before the FTC gets called in..
Have a stay where you charged a resort fee and write to the FTC. To the extent you get any meaningful reply, I wager that they will say disclosure at time of booking makes it a non-problem in the U.S.A.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Have a stay where you charged a resort fee and write to the FTC. To the extent you get any meaningful reply, I wager that they will say disclosure at time of booking makes it a non-problem in the U.S.A.
Granted a different operation than the DOT, but sounds so similar to what the airlines were doing. If they don't hear from the public then expect nothing to be done.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Actually since HH changed the program to be variable points, the "resort fee" is included in the points amount that is being taken out when you do an award stay... so it isn't even a question of if it should be "comped" or not. You're paying the resort fee as part of the points you use on the resort... so of course you should receive any amenities that come with the resort fee even on a 100% points stay.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Actually since HH changed the program to be variable points, the "resort fee" is included in the points amount that is being taken out when you do an award stay... so it isn't even a question of if it should be "comped" or not. You're paying the resort fee as part of the points you use on the resort... so of course you should receive any amenities that come with the resort fee even on a 100% points stay.
The reason you are entitled to the amenities is because other than payment method there is no differentiation between paid and award stays.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So most of you think I should get the $25 daily food and beverage credit? Does it make a difference that they call it an "Urban Destination Fee" rather than a "Resort Fee"?

I'm wondering how to find out...come right out and ask when I check in? We would have no intention of eating at the hotel except to use up this "gift". And I'd hate to let it go to waste.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So most of you think I should get the $25 daily food and beverage credit? Does it make a difference that they call it an "Urban Destination Fee" rather than a "Resort Fee"?

I'm wondering how to find out...come right out and ask when I check in? We would have no intention of eating at the hotel except to use up this "gift". And I'd hate to let it go to waste.
I suggest asking and if they say no then contact HH for confirmation. Do not start the conversation saying the benefit was denied as I find a lot of the CSRs will side with the property so they don't have to take any action. The program touts free rooms using points and that should include anything. If it's not stated in the rate details, then absolutely should be included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.