Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas {US-NV}

Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas {US-NV}

Old Oct 17, 20, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Recent Data Points

Any recent data points from stays at this property, particularly for Hilton Diamond's? I believe they offer a $50 F&B credit in lieu of breakfast. Is that correct? Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 20, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
Any recent data points from stays at this property, particularly for Hilton Diamond's? I believe they offer a $50 F&B credit in lieu of breakfast. Is that correct? Thanks!
See my post upthread dated September 23. It's $25 per person, which can be used at Skybar for a cocktail or the coffee stand for coffee/smoothies/pastries. They weren't running full service restaurants in the morning, so if you're expecting a hot cooked to order breakfast for your $25, you're going to be disappointed.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 20, 9:12 pm

Does this property honor space available upgrades for gold and diamond members? Reading older posts and people talk about being "upgraded" to a high floor.

To me that's ridiculous, a room upgrade would be one category up based on the room types they have.

I booked the strip view king so the next tier up would be a junior suite
Old Oct 20, 20, 12:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alany611 View Post
Does this property honor space available upgrades for gold and diamond members? Reading older posts and people talk about being "upgraded" to a high floor.

To me that's ridiculous, a room upgrade would be one category up based on the room types they have.

In 2019, I was upgraded from a City View One King to a Junior Suite without asking. I was Diamond at the time.
Old Oct 21, 20, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by alany611 View Post

Upgraded to strip view from city view on 2018 NYE.
Old Oct 21, 20, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Stayed there this weekend for three nights. Solid stay, but not a Waldorf experience, and, yeah, rooms could use a bit of spiffing up. BUT, I thought the layout with a changing closet area and big bathroom was really good. Desk was functional and not in the way too.

1. Check in was fine, but showed up at 4:30 and room not ready due to "inspection needed". Was told another room was available or I could wait for the upgraded room. Sky Bar not open, so we went to the lobby tea rea and ordered champagne. No snacks available.

2. Sky Bar incredibly limited snack menu. And just one veg option (humus).

3. Food really disappointing. No coffee in room. No room service. Not an entre or main course to be found in the hotel. REALLY disappointing given Zen resturant was functioning and I've been in other Hilton's since COVID that manage to provide food

4. Zen on Sunday morning was full menu and service and excellent for breakfast (and really well spaced out). Monday, however, just a take away window with very limited options, and pretty poor quality. (Do NOT order the super food scramble, trust me, even if you are veg and it is the only option!) We only bothered since we had a credit to burn

5. Housekeeping on request

6. Three nights = three meal credits of $25/person. Points stay = no resort fee.

7. Do NOT TAKE THE UPGRADE. Upgrade means facing the Strip. That means a night club across the street blaring and thumping until 3am, and 5am lawn blowers for the building. And, really, who needs to look at the Strip? Go for the quiet room. They offered to move us, but we were there to work and left the hotel early am and got back 8:30pm each night, so just couldn't be bothered (and also made it even more annoying to not have food options for dinner even as delivery service from some place close)

8. GM texted and was responsive and tried to help, but the limitations are just inherent -- closed kitchen = no food, limited menu = nothing vegetarian at the bar, facing the Strip = noise.

9. Staff over the top good, including the valet crew. Definitely Waldorf level service.

My advice is stay somewhere else, it isn't really much of an experience. We got it for like 66k points per night so just went for it, but there are other Hilton properties I think that may have more services available?
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti View Post
Stayed there this weekend for three nights. Solid stay, but not a Waldorf experience, and, yeah, rooms could use a bit of spiffing up. BUT, I thought the layout with a changing closet area and big bathroom was really good. Desk was functional and not in the way too.

1. Check in was fine, but showed up at 4:30 and room not ready due to "inspection needed". Was told another room was available or I could wait for the upgraded room. Sky Bar not open, so we went to the lobby tea rea and ordered champagne. No snacks available.

2. Sky Bar incredibly limited snack menu. And just one veg option (humus).

3. Food really disappointing. No coffee in room. No room service. Not an entre or main course to be found in the hotel. REALLY disappointing given Zen resturant was functioning and I've been in other Hilton's since COVID that manage to provide food

4. Zen on Sunday morning was full menu and service and excellent for breakfast (and really well spaced out). Monday, however, just a take away window with very limited options, and pretty poor quality. (Do NOT order the super food scramble, trust me, even if you are veg and it is the only option!) We only bothered since we had a credit to burn

5. Housekeeping on request

6. Three nights = three meal credits of $25/person. Points stay = no resort fee.

7. Do NOT TAKE THE UPGRADE. Upgrade means facing the Strip. That means a night club across the street blaring and thumping until 3am, and 5am lawn blowers for the building. And, really, who needs to look at the Strip? Go for the quiet room. They offered to move us, but we were there to work and left the hotel early am and got back 8:30pm each night, so just couldn't be bothered (and also made it even more annoying to not have food options for dinner even as delivery service from some place close)

8. GM texted and was responsive and tried to help, but the limitations are just inherent -- closed kitchen = no food, limited menu = nothing vegetarian at the bar, facing the Strip = noise.

9. Staff over the top good, including the valet crew. Definitely Waldorf level service.

My advice is stay somewhere else, it isn't really much of an experience. We got it for like 66k points per night so just went for it, but there are other Hilton properties I think that may have more services available?
This is very helpful, as I was contemplating staying here as well as a Hilton Diamond on points [I saw a rate of 62k]. However, the Four Seasons seems to be much better value and offer a better experience.
abaheti likes this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 10:36 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

abaheti

Appreciate the on point review Abaheti..Very well stated in all regards.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.The hotel has been very good to me since becoming a Waldorf
Though the hotel has its drawbacks the rooms are very comfortable and luxurious despite the age, wear and tear of the hotel
I booked 5 nights based on your review despite preferring some other properties.
My reasoning was 45,600 points per night on average a night based on 5th night free which is a steal with no resort fee
and the quality of Zen breakfast. That's almost half the going rate which is normally 80k a night 7 days a week.I rebooked my return ticket just to avail myself of the 5th night
Best value on Hilton points in a long time.It took a pandemic to get a good redemption value from a high quality Hilton Hotel sadly.Excited to return
eponymous_coward and abaheti like this.
Old Oct 22, 20, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Appreciate the on point review Abaheti..Very well stated in all regards.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.The hotel has been very good to me since becoming a Waldorf
Though the hotel has its drawbacks the rooms are very comfortable and luxurious despite the age, wear and tear of the hotel
I booked 5 nights based on your review despite preferring some other properties.
My reasoning was 45,600 points per night on average a night based on 5th night free which is a steal with no resort fee
and the quality of Zen breakfast. That's almost half the going rate which is normally 80k a night 7 days a week.I rebooked my return ticket just to avail myself of the 5th night
Best value on Hilton points in a long time.It took a pandemic to get a good redemption value from a high quality Hilton Hotel sadly.Excited to return
I thought the room was excellent, spacious, comfortable, just not up to Waldorf standards, and, for sure, on a points deal I would really consider doing it again depending on the other Hilton properties near by. Service from staff was at Waldorf level. We were afraid of kids+families+party'ers so picked the Waldorf over other options (also based on the cheap points price). Zen breakfast on Sunday was excellent, for sure, but on Monday was really disappointing (not sure why they limit the menu so much on weekdays since it is the same kitchen etc). As long as you know what you're getting (walk elsewhere for dinner... which maybe is good because you save a lot of money:-)), you'll be all set.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 22, 20, 1:35 pm

I thought the room was excellent, spacious, comfortable, just not up to Waldorf standards, and, for sure, on a points deal I would really consider doing it again depending on the other Hilton properties near by. Service from staff was at Waldorf level. We were afraid of kids+families+party'ers so picked the Waldorf over other options (also based on the cheap points price). Zen breakfast on Sunday was excellent, for sure, but on Monday was really disappointing (not sure why they limit the menu so much on weekdays since it is the same kitchen etc). As long as you know what you're getting (walk elsewhere for dinner... which maybe is good because you save a lot of money:-)), you'll be all set.
Just a heads up I saw on the Website Zen Kitchen is only operating on weekends and otherwise its take out Monday to Friday from the Zen Cafe attached to the restaurant.
Assume business occupancy is super slow right now hence the reason for the limited menu weekdays
I believe the options though seem sufficient under the circumstances though certainly not ideal.
Because of the reduced revenue and award redemption costs I think its likely justified

The other Hilton properties leave much to be desired IMO and Elara is an excellent property for those that have no status.
They treat HH elite like cattle with O benefits.I will never return.Years ago they upgraded Diamonds brilliantly but now they take them for granted using its a time share as an excuse
I'm pro Waldorf and I hear some of the great team members are back at Zen
Old Oct 23, 20, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Just a heads up I saw on the Website Zen Kitchen is only operating on weekends and otherwise its take out Monday to Friday from the Zen Cafe attached to the restaurant.
Assume business occupancy is super slow right now hence the reason for the limited menu weekdays
I believe the options though seem sufficient under the circumstances though certainly not ideal.
Because of the reduced revenue and award redemption costs I think its likely justified

The other Hilton properties leave much to be desired IMO and Elara is an excellent property for those that have no status.
They treat HH elite like cattle with O benefits.I will never return.Years ago they upgraded Diamonds brilliantly but now they take them for granted using its a time share as an excuse
I'm pro Waldorf and I hear some of the great team members are back at Zen
I agree with your observations about the Elara. It is a great facility which was built to be a premium condominium development, but was converted to timeshares in the wake of an economic downturn.
12-15 years ago, the Elara was reasonably priced (we actually stayed in a 2 bedroom unit for $249 a WEEK) and diamonds were always upgraded.
We stayed there several times with upgrades automatically given.
Beginning about 8 years ago (??) the Elara became expensive, then super expensive, and upgrades ended. I even asked to talk to the manager upon check-in the last time we stayed there. He was firm. No diamond upgrades. Period.
No upgrades is par for the course when staying at a Hilton Grand Vacations Club property, in my experience.
Even now during the viral pall, the rates at the Elara are outrageous.
Old Oct 23, 20, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue View Post
I agree with your observations about the Elara. It is a great facility which was built to be a premium condominium development, but was converted to timeshares in the wake of an economic downturn.
12-15 years ago, the Elara was reasonably priced (we actually stayed in a 2 bedroom unit for $249 a WEEK) and diamonds were always upgraded.
We stayed there several times with upgrades automatically given.
Beginning about 8 years ago (??) the Elara became expensive, then super expensive, and upgrades ended. I even asked to talk to the manager upon check-in the last time we stayed there. He was firm. No diamond upgrades. Period.
No upgrades is par for the course when staying at a Hilton Grand Vacations Club property, in my experience.
Even now during the viral pall, the rates at the Elara are outrageous.
Well said! Someone needs to remind them they aren't the Four Seasons
I had a nice conversation with Elara management pre pandemic and it was all very friendly.Took weeks to get them out of their bunker to follow up with me
However hey made it quite clear that they will do nothing for Hilton elite member guests but award points for revenue stays no breakfast and a small bottle of
their house brand water.A huge departure compared to when HH members mattered each and every time.Sad
They see Hilton guests as a cash cow revenue stream and want to only up sell to better accommodations or let you live with what you book.
I've never returned.Loyalty is a two way street
I prefer almost every other relationship I have in Vegas/Marriott/IHG.Hyatt/MGM all with newer better hard products,
better guests on average and more exciting options to chose from
I would book Elara only for a friend with no status if the rate was fair.Waldorf does a very fair job
Old Oct 24, 20, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 23 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
So, is the Sky Bar actually open for drinks? We have a stay in November planned with some locals and that is one of the things we wanted to enjoy while there.
Old Oct 24, 20, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
So, is the Sky Bar actually open for drinks? We have a stay in November planned with some locals and that is one of the things we wanted to enjoy while there.
yes, sky bar opened at 5 or 530pm on the Friday we arrived. Worth a visit, and your $25/$50 credit counts there if you like.

and, @777 global mile hound, don't get me wrong, for the low points price it was fine (and the room + bathroom were excellent for our purposes), it just wasn't up to Waldorf standards so I wouldn't pay cash for it. And I have seen other Hiltons able to provide food and beverage even during COVID, so had higher expectations for this property.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by abaheti; Oct 24, 20 at 2:36 pm
Old Oct 26, 20, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
yes, sky bar opened at 5 or 530pm on the Friday we arrived. Worth a visit, and your $25/$50 credit counts there if you like.

and, @777 global mile hound, don't get me wrong, for the low points price it was fine (and the room + bathroom were excellent for our purposes), it just wasn't up to Waldorf standards so I wouldn't pay cash for it. And I have seen other Hiltons able to provide food and beverage even during COVID, so had higher expectations for this property.
It was a bit disappointing for me that breakfast was pastries and smoothies (my stay was over a Friday night and a Saturday morning), but it's still a very nice hotel, and my Friday night plans were dinner out at one of the best (and a fairly inexpensive, for Vegas) Italian places around, so I wasn't exactly shattered that the hotel isn't doing a lot of food. Aria is still nearby for food- Salt and Ivy even has outdoor seating. I ended up staying the rest of my trip at Vdara, which isn't terribly different in terms of reduced service- I liked that room as well (not as nicely appointed but a bit roomier). Since Vdara runs less expensive and if I'm not going to have access to much in the way of F&B... I'd probably pick Vdara (with a full shop downstairs) instead of the extra money for WA. It's over the boundary of "nice enough" (though I am glad I tried the WA).

I tend to think that minus convention trade a lot of Vegas hotels are going to have very painful choices on what they do to adjust to it. Lavish restaurants don't work unless someone is shelling out lots of money for expensive wines and meals, and a lot of the industry is supported by corporate spending that isn't going to be bouncing back all the way even in 2021.

Search this Thread