Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Need Help with HHonors Account - no relief in sight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

My wife opened an Amex Ascend card about 6 months ago. She did not have an HHonors account previously, so one was created for her by Amex. She subsequently amassed 150k points via the bonus and spending on the card.

The problem is that she has never been able to sign on to her account HHonors online and no one At Hilton customer service or tech support can help her resolve the issue. Each time she tries to reset her password, she gets the infamous "It's not you, it's us" screen. She spent roughly 15-20 hours (no exaggeration) on the phone abut 10 different times with various levels of Hilton support to no avail. They kept trying to get her to clear cookies, change browsers, etc... Suffice it to say, this issue has nothing to do with the PC she is logging in from as various platforms, mobile, etc produce the exact same result.

We finally resigned ourselves to spend down her points all at once via a telephone reservation only to realize that the agents could not get the reservation to generate a confirmation even though they confirm the points are in her account. Today, she was put on hold 4 different times wasting 3 hours of our weekend and told they would need help from another department only to be stranded on hold with no resolution. She tried to get them to transfer her points to my account and they told her that she could do that online. Not much help when you can't sign into your account!

I'm assuming this will only be resolved if we can get this escalated to a higher level in the Hilton management structure. I'm hoping someone on here has a suggestion how to escalate this effectively. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
This sounds like an Kafkaesque nightmare along the lines of what Christopher Elliott might write about. I’d recommend reaching out to him.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Paging @HonorsRepresentative!
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:59 am

I think you could try -- if you haven't already -- opening a new account and merging the two online.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:53 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by FastMJ
My wife opened an Amex Ascend card about 6 months ago. She did not have an HHonors account previously, so one was created for her by Amex. She subsequently amassed 150k points via the bonus and spending on the card.

The problem is that she has never been able to sign on to her account HHonors online and no one At Hilton customer service or tech support can help her resolve the issue. Each time she tries to reset her password, she gets the infamous "It's not you, it's us" screen. She spent roughly 15-20 hours (no exaggeration) on the phone abut 10 different times with various levels of Hilton support to no avail. They kept trying to get her to clear cookies, change browsers, etc... Suffice it to say, this issue has nothing to do with the PC she is logging in from as various platforms, mobile, etc produce the exact same result.

We finally resigned ourselves to spend down her points all at once via a telephone reservation only to realize that the agents could not get the reservation to generate a confirmation even though they confirm the points are in her account. Today, she was put on hold 4 different times wasting 3 hours of our weekend and told they would need help from another department only to be stranded on hold with no resolution. She tried to get them to transfer her points to my account and they told her that she could do that online. Not much help when you can't sign into your account!

I'm assuming this will only be resolved if we can get this escalated to a higher level in the Hilton management structure. I'm hoping someone on here has a suggestion how to escalate this effectively. Thanks!
Hi FastMJ,

Sent you a PM to get more info from you.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old May 7, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by sannmann
This sounds like an Kafkaesque nightmare along the lines of what Christopher Elliott might write about. I’d recommend reaching out to him.
Chris Elliott hates travel loyalty programs, and generally won't touch a case involving points.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Sounds like HonorsRepresentative has this in hand, but as a general tip I've found the chat window to be an efficient way to sort problems out.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Chris Elliott hates travel loyalty programs, and generally won't touch a case involving points.
OBE- Honors Representative has already engaged the OP. Let's hope that the OP and Honors can resolve this matter.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I did create a new account for her but I don't know if it's possible to transact anything out of the corrupted account. They couldn't evne book a reservation for a hotel stay using the points on the phone. Something in her account won't let anything be done (logging in, password reset, telephone redemption, etc...)

I did just reply to the HHonors Rep on here with her details so hopefully something can be done.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could it be that the account is being investigated for potential fraud/misuse? Lots of points from credit cards in a new account could raise red flags in some circumstances, for instance if there are returns after meeting minimum spend requirements for bonus points.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

I suppose but we never got any communication on it. Also, when she tried to book the reward stay on the phone, the rep did not see anything like that and they would progress all the way to the final confirmation stage before they ran into some unidentifiable glitch and were unable to complete the booking.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:22 am

The situation sounds straightforward though there is no way for the OP to know this.

When you get a co-branded card from Amex, Amex opens a new Honors account for you. When they do this they very often do not add your email address to your account. (Neither do they add your phone number, but that is less important when it comes to getting online access to your account.)

There are two ways to fix the issue: 1) Call Amex and ask them to add your email and your phone number to the account. Once that is in place, go to the log in page for Honors, use your Honors account number as your user Id and use the 'forgot' password feature. The system will send a password reset email to the account Amex entered and you can set up a password.

2) Call Honors customer care and ask them to add your email address. When they see an account without an email address or phone number newer reps may throw their hands up and say they can not help you. (The standard ID procedure requires the caller to quote their name exactly as it appears on the Honors account and then two of the Honors account number, the email address on the Honors account or the phone number on the account.) In fact agents can also verify your identity and add your email address by verifying the name of the company that opened the account for you and the exact number of points in the account. (Amex can tell you how many points they transferred and that info maybe on a statement from Amex.) . If the Honors rep says they can not verify your identity, ask them to transfer you to the Verification Desk. Another option is not to call Honors but to chat with them. The chat reps are more experienced (and generally brighter and more willing to be creative) than phone reps.

Final note: if you opened new accounts on your own thinking that that might be a way to get access to the points Amex deposited, the email addresses you used on those accounts can not be used on the account Amex opened. (Two Honors accounts can not generally share one email address.) . If you are in this situation and there are no points in the accounts you opened, have the rep close them so that they can use the email address. If there are points on any account you opened that is using the email address you want to use on the account that Amex opened, ask the rep to merge the account you opened into the account Amex opened and then to add the merged account's email address to the account Amex opened.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
The chat reps are more experienced (and generally brighter and more willing to be creative) than phone reps.
Exactly my finding. Top tip there ^^^.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
How does one initiate a chat? I don't see a link on the hhonors.com page or on the iPhone app. But, I'm probably missing something obvious.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
The situation sounds straightforward though there is no way for the OP to know this.

When you get a co-branded card from Amex, Amex opens a new Honors account for you. When they do this they very often do not add your email address to your account. (Neither do they add your phone number, but that is less important when it comes to getting online access to your account.)

There are two ways to fix the issue: 1) Call Amex and ask them to add your email and your phone number to the account. Once that is in place, go to the log in page for Honors, use your Honors account number as your user Id and use the 'forgot' password feature. The system will send a password reset email to the account Amex entered and you can set up a password.

2) Call Honors customer care and ask them to add your email address. When they see an account without an email address or phone number newer reps may throw their hands up and say they can not help you. (The standard ID procedure requires the caller to quote their name exactly as it appears on the Honors account and then two of the Honors account number, the email address on the Honors account or the phone number on the account.) In fact agents can also verify your identity and add your email address by verifying the name of the company that opened the account for you and the exact number of points in the account. (Amex can tell you how many points they transferred and that info maybe on a statement from Amex.) . If the Honors rep says they can not verify your identity, ask them to transfer you to the Verification Desk. Another option is not to call Honors but to chat with them. The chat reps are more experienced (and generally brighter and more willing to be creative) than phone reps.

Final note: if you opened new accounts on your own thinking that that might be a way to get access to the points Amex deposited, the email addresses you used on those accounts can not be used on the account Amex opened. (Two Honors accounts can not generally share one email address.) . If you are in this situation and there are no points in the accounts you opened, have the rep close them so that they can use the email address. If there are points on any account you opened that is using the email address you want to use on the account that Amex opened, ask the rep to merge the account you opened into the account Amex opened and then to add the merged account's email address to the account Amex opened.
Thanks, I suspected something of this sort. However, the account already has her correct email address, not sure about the phone number.The reason I know this is that when I try to reset her password online, it sends the reset link to her correct email address. We've tried this about 100 times but each time, the same resulting "It's Not you, It's Us." screen with a door handle. We've currently got numerous escalations in place and amazingly even with all the extra attention and investigations, they still cannot resolve the issue. It's really quite remarkable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.