2nd person free benefit

Old May 7, 18, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by kilo View Post

So is a breakfast included rate excluded from ‘2nd guest stays free’ ?
As I would consider a rate with breakfast an "additional component ...meal" or specialized rate "bed & breakfast" so the 2nd person won't stay free in this case.But that would be only for Rates Including Breakfast not your member benefit of the "My Way Hotel Benefits" (Gold/Diamond)
A second guest stays free in the Member's room on qualifying stays at hotels when there are additional charges for double occupancy. This benefit excludes stays at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (e.g., meals, activities, parking), or specialized rates (e.g. package rates, bed & breakfast rates) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge.
Old May 7, 18, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by kilo View Post

So is a breakfast included rate excluded from ‘2nd guest stays free’ ?
Its rare a breakfast rate is cheaper than a standard rate but have come across it a couple of times in Australia. In each case I have booked the breakfast rate for one person and as breakfast is complimentary for diamonds and one guest anyway I have never had any issues.
Old May 7, 18, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by ozztraveller View Post
Its rare a breakfast rate is cheaper than a standard rate but have come across it a couple of times in Australia. In each case I have booked the breakfast rate for one person and as breakfast is complimentary for diamonds and one guest anyway I have never had any issues.
That is probably true in almost most cases (there is always an outlier) as Gold/Diamonds have free breakfast. BUT if you are not Gold/Diamond then they will charge you for breakfast
Old May 7, 18, 5:45 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Obviously, you can't use the "spouse stay free" benefit to squeeze 3 persons into a room by only paying for 2 pers.
Actually that is not obvious and I've often done it in the US where I can confirm a room with two double or 2 queen beds. I've not been tempted to try it in Europe where such rooms are scarce. I was never sure whether it would be an issue and I always explained the situation in the comments field and never had a problem.

Last edited by rtpflyer; May 7, 18 at 5:53 pm
Old May 7, 18, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtpflyer View Post
Actually that is not obvious and I've often done it in the US where I can confirm a room with two double or 2 queen beds. I've not been tempted to try it in Europe where such rooms are scarce. I was never sure whether it would be an issue and I always explained the situation in the comments field and never had a problem.
but in the US you are normally not charged an additional fee for more than 1 person staying in the room so as many people as “allowed” can stay in the room with no change in $
Old May 8, 18, 10:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
The spanner in the works here is that if you book a room for one person but show up in the morning with two the breakfast people may have breakfast for one listed against your room number. In that case, you'll have to either get the charge removed or attempt to argue with breakfast personnel about Hhonors benefits - the latter is likely to be a thankless task!
Old May 8, 18, 11:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Melia Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by templar42 View Post
The spanner in the works here is that if you book a room for one person but show up in the morning with two the breakfast people may have breakfast for one listed against your room number. In that case, you'll have to either get the charge removed or attempt to argue with breakfast personnel about Hhonors benefits - the latter is likely to be a thankless task!
The second person needs to register to the room during check in (for free) and then 2 persons will be added to the breakfast list, that's at least how it was done for me in the past...
Old May 9, 18, 3:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
Originally Posted by Delectatio View Post
The second person needs to register to the room during check in (for free) and then 2 persons will be added to the breakfast list, that's at least how it was done for me in the past...
That's quite true, but sometimes I haven't decided who I'm taking to breakfast at that point!
Old May 9, 18, 5:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by templar42 View Post
That's quite true, but sometimes I haven't decided who I'm taking to breakfast at that point!
Does it matter who? Have you ever been asked for ID at breakfast???

Even at hotels which charge extra for a second person in a room, I've never seen a number of guests next to the room number on the breakfast list...
Old May 9, 18, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Does it matter who? Have you ever been asked for ID at breakfast???

Even at hotels which charge extra for a second person in a room, I've never seen a number of guests next to the room number on the breakfast list...
Yes I actually had this at Conrad Singapore in the downstairs restaurant, to the extent that they wanted me to sign a bill for a second person. I simply wrote "Hhonors second guest free / diamond breakfast" on it, and it didn't show up on my bill. In the context of Singapore generally, the episode did not surprise me!
Old May 9, 18, 7:16 am
Original Poster

And coming back to the start ... Why do we have to jump through hoops / trick the system /.... just to get something we are entitled to?
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Aug 19, 18, 6:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
I just experienced this looking for a hotel on friday night, a rate with no addons including breakfast at HGI Brindleyplace Brum is £41 on the summer sale rate for one person and £48 for two people despite being logged in as a diamond guest already.

I don't want to get reactionary but if you think that every diamond member is being overcharged everytime they don't think about this and book a room for 2 then the amount of money across all diamond members in a years would be in the millions easily.

Is there a way to restrospectively claim this amount from previous stays?
Old Aug 19, 18, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
And coming back to the start ... Why do we have to jump through hoops / trick the system /.... just to get something we are entitled to?
It is much your own responsibility to understand your benefits as it is the hotel.
For Diamond card holders the 2nd guest stays for free, (spouse or not).
It is simple, book the room for 1person. You can still add the name of the 2nd person in the booking.
Check in yourself and the 2nd person. (If you added the 2nd person online they can check in without you there).
You get breakfast for the number of people you checked in. (1 or 2).

Not worth any effort to sort out after the fact.

Globalist

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 7, 18 at 8:02 pm Reason: unneccessary snark
Old Aug 19, 18, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globalist View Post

It is much your own responsibility to understand your benefits as it is the hotel.
For Diamond card holders the 2nd guest stays for free, (spouse or not).
It is simple, book the room for 1person. You can still add the name of the 2nd person in the booking.
Check in yourself and the 2nd person. (If you added the 2nd person online they can check in without you there).
You get breakfast for the number of people you checked in. (1 or 2).

Not worth any effort to sort out after the fact.

Globalist
Hilton is running a scam with charging you for something they should not > class action
And the “just book for 1 and show up with 2” put undue burden on the customer and btw wouldn’t work with more than 2 people.

Stop arguing that us having to fudge the booking is the way to go.
Hope every time the is a happy hour or two for one the charge you normal pricing so that you need to complain each and every time (but hey that is ok as you don’t want your food chewed for you).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 7, 18 at 8:03 pm Reason: quoted deleted post & response
Old Aug 19, 18, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Btw Globalist when they charged you $3.29 gratuity for a breakfast your attitude was totally different but somehow free breakfast or 2nd person free is just soooo different ....LOL added to my ignore list
(Copy &paste below)

Why do you think it is about the amount? It is about the standard.

Really if someone tells me, here is a free breakfast, and after eating someone else comes to me with a bill I would feel royalty screwed no matter what the amount.

Search this Thread