Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you have to book through hilton to get the points?

Old Apr 29, 18, 2:11 pm
duo
Original Poster

Hi,

I am a Diamond HH member and have found a much cheaper rate on booking.com trip.com than I have on Hilton.com. If I book through Hilton will I get all the same benefits? i.e. HH Points, Upgrade and all the benefits from Hotel with being a Diamond HH member?

Thanks

Edit: It was trip.com that I saw the cheaper room - never heard of them so will probs stay clear - but same questions till applies.

Last edited by duo; Apr 29, 18 at 2:18 pm Reason: Corrected the site I saw cheaper rate
Old Apr 29, 18, 2:15 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by duo View Post
Hi,

I am a Diamond HH member and have found a much cheaper rate on booking.com than I have on Hilton.com. If I book through Hilton will I get all the same benefits? i.e. HH Points, Upgrade and all the benefits from Hotel with being a Diamond HH member?

Thanks
You have to book through Hilton to get the points and stay and night credits. Sometimes, hotels give the benefits such as upgrades and breakfasts when booking through 3rd party sites, but it's not guaranteed. You can always try the Hitlon Best Rate Guarantee to see if Hilton will match the lower rate you've found. See:
Our Best Price Guarantee
duo likes this.
Old Apr 29, 18, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
If you do a search, you will find some recent discussions about booking through Costco. Your booking will get all the benefits as if booked through the Hilton site.
Old Apr 29, 18, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duo View Post
Hi,

I am a Diamond HH member and have found a much cheaper rate on booking.com trip.com than I have on Hilton.com. If I book through Hilton will I get all the same benefits? i.e. HH Points, Upgrade and all the benefits from Hotel with being a Diamond HH member?

Thanks

Edit: It was trip.com that I saw the cheaper room - never heard of them so will probs stay clear - but same questions till applies.
But the cheapest points/night-earning Hilton rates aren't at hilton.com. They're at Hilton | MVP Travel. And since that's just an alternate Hilton site, anything booked starting there still earns points, nights, and any bonuses.

So if you want to save money and still earn points and nights, then use the MVP rates, not some third-party rates.
Old Apr 29, 18, 9:12 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
MY experience:

1. When booking through my corporate travel agency, benefits are always granted.

2. When I see a big disparity between an OTA like Expedia, Booking.com or the like, I call the hotel directly and ask for the in house reservations team or front desk team to see if they will match the rate. In every case, they would offer to match, in some cases on a non refundable basis or offer for some sort of upgrade by booking directly.

I'm not obsessed about getting the absolute lowest rate, but ensuing I have a trouble free experience or ensuring I have the room category I want. Difficult to do with an OTA. Booking directly with Hilton means the Hilton app or website will always show all the info for my reservation. In other words, one place for accountability for the reservation.
Old Apr 30, 18, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
You have to book through Hilton to get the points and stay and night credits.
This is just simply not true. A fundamental part of any loyalty program is to get business travelers and most of those aren't allowed to book directly.
Old May 1, 18, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan View Post
This is just simply not true. A fundamental part of any loyalty program is to get business travelers and most of those aren't allowed to book directly.
But the opposite is not true either. Ie, as already mentioned, you can also book through corporate booking engines.

But that does not mean you can book through consumer booking engines and still rely on getting points and nights.

Ie, most hotel program have a requirement to book through the hotel program (or directly with the hotel), with an exception for corporate booking engines (such as Concur).

Search this Thread