Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ISL}

Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ISL}

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton (Opened March 2018)

Hafnarstraeti 17-19,
Reykjavik, 101, Iceland
TEL: +354-5146800 FAX: +354-4444001
Website (link)
Email: REKCU_RES <at> hilton.com
Check in 2:00 pm, check out 12:00 noon
Self-parking 2,000 ISK / Krone
No pets
No smoking
Restaurant (GOTT restaurant), bar
Extended Continental breakfast for all guests
Floors: 4
Room hints: Avoid room x12 (between two lifts). x01-09 face Tryggvargata St. (construction, for a while).

Location: 50 meters from Bus Stop number 4 , stop for airport shuttle bus, City busses, tour vans and busses . Very close to the Harpa Concert Hall (and Midbakki small cruise ship dock), easy walking access to downtown, restaurants, shopping. N.B. As of August 2018 Bus Stop number 4 is temporarily closed due to construction. The alternative is Bus Stop number 3 at Lækjargata.

Taxi drivers may not know the hotel, as it’s pretty new. They are more likely to know the hotel’s restaurant, GOTT, as it opened in 2013. Construction closures make driving to this property tricky.

Distance to KEF / Keflavik International Airport: 50 km / 31 miles (taxis super expensive (~ISK 15,000 / USD $140), but there are two airport shuttle busses that drop or connect to mini-shuttles to the hotel bus stop).

Modern, brand new boutique hotel in the site of an old department store, operated by Consul Thomsen’s family. Great location for walking to sights, shopping, concerts, dining.

Currently surrounded by construction. Street blockages can occur.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 19, 18, 8:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ISL}

Information model to Wikipost for updating convenience.

We will be staying here in August and departing from the Midbakki dock. I hope someone else will add reviews, but at this point the 14 reviews on Trip Advisor rate it 5 of 5 stars.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 23, 18 at 5:23 am Reason: Add August 2018 WiFi test
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
under construction

I saw this property under construction when I visited last October. Are they now accepting reservations?
The location isn't exactly central. On the other hand, public transit is good - includes free wifi!
It is a much needed addition to accommodation in Reykjavik. When I was there, there was only over-priced 2-star hotels and mediocre AirBnBs.
Old Apr 19, 18, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
We are spending two nights there in September. Looks like a great property.
Old Apr 19, 18, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
I'll be there in early July, so might be the first of us?
Not sure why someone says the location isn't central. It's blocks away from all of the main tourist sites, including Harpa, Austurvollur, Parliament, City Hall, Settlement Exhibition, etc. Google maps says it's a 5 minute walk from the Canopy, which everyone raves about for central location.
The Gray Line Airport Express has a drop off at the Culture House which is a very short walk away.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 3:04 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My colleague has booked here as a diamond but she found out they don't offer diamonds free breakfasts. This is a major cost-saving in a place like Iceland. She has booked to another Hilton property in REK. Is tis right about breakfasts?
Old Apr 20, 18, 4:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
This hotel is centrally located and could not be more centrally located. I was living in Reykjavik decades ago but the town's geographical structure hasn't changed yet with reference to its city centre.
Old Apr 20, 18, 5:32 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
My colleague has booked here as a diamond but she found out they don't offer diamonds free breakfasts. This is a major cost-saving in a place like Iceland. She has booked to another Hilton property in REK. Is tis right about breakfasts?
It appears breakfast is free for all guests.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 5:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Indeed continental breakfast is included in the price regardless of the status. This is similar to the Canopy where a complimentary 'local artisanal' breakfast is very substantial.

I have toyed with the idea of trying out the Konsulat in July on points but decided to go back to the Canopy where I enjoyed the breakfast very much last year. Evening canapés and drinks are also available to all at the Canopy and with a limited number of rooms for possible upgrades and no executive lounge there seems to be little advantage in holding status at the Canopy. I wonder if it will be similar at the Konsulat.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
The Continental breakfast is included for all guests, and from reviews on TA it’s an extended Continental breakfast with eggs, bacon, etc. Reviews include Diamonds getting upgrades and some guests being given rooms before check-in time. And excellent beds, location.
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:34 am

Just got back from three nights here in July. I'm a diamond member and as mentioned above, breakfast was included for all guests. Breakfast wasn't the greatest with the same offerings every day (scrambled eggs and bacon are the only hot items) but overall good and enough to get our day started. The first stay booked a classic room for 2 nights and upgraded to a deluxe room (even though the hotel looked quite full) and for the final night, booked a deluxe room and upgraded to the Diplomat suite with a bit more room and two balconies. Balconies didn't have any furniture on them which was a bit of a waste nor did the rooftop terrace, though I did see some outdoor furniture being delivered as I was leaving. The staff was excellent and the hot tub/sauna in the basement was an added bonus. Definitely a great stay and I would recommend in the future!
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:10 pm

Seems a real YMMV experience. As a Diamond, I was proactively told no upgrades were available at all. I was given a small box of chocolates as an apology. Interesting that breakfast is much better at the Canopy, which I believe is the same owner. I'm not sure how useful balcony furniture would be, as the hotel is fairly low, and doesnt have much in the way of views. An entire side of the hotel is next to a giant construction site. The regular room was nice and the spa area an added bonus, but I didnt find it worth much more than the Canopy.

Location was fine, although the signage is very discreet.

Spa

Breakfast buffet

Lobby/bar

Front entrance

Gym

Big bathroom

Room
JDiver, SanDiego1K and Mbetts17 like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 15, 18 at 2:22 pm
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:17 pm

Konsulat

Small chocolate box was complimentary on both stays for us. Construction is definitely annoying but out of their control and during normal business hours. Man working the desk said the road will reopen in September which should make it easier to get to parking garage but no clue when overall construction will be finished. They did have a printed map ready with instructions to the garage to get around the construction.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mbetts17 View Post
Small chocolate box was complimentary on both stays for us. Construction is definitely annoying but out of their control and during normal business hours. Man working the desk said the road will reopen in September which should make it easier to get to parking garage but no clue when overall construction will be finished. They did have a printed map ready with instructions to the garage to get around the construction.
Right even when the construction is done though, it will completely block any views from that side of the hotel.
Mbetts17 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 18, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Very high demand in high season.

We snagged a standard award for a nonsmoking King for 20-23 August a few months ago, and when we checked availability for the same period:

Hilton Nordica - sold out those days, no awards, no Diamond Force

Canopy by Hilton - no awards available, Diamond Force (“48 GUARANTEE-MONEY” rate) USD $639 queen or $648 king

Konsulat Curio - no awards available, Diamond Force USD $700 standard king room

Glad we got our award at 70,000 points per night,

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 21, 18 at 5:23 am
Old Aug 7, 18, 7:43 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I had an evening during a layover in Reykjavik recently and walked around the area to check up the hotel’s location. As suggested by other posters the entrance and signage is very discreet. Due to constructions the bus stop 4 is currently closed and guests are advised to use the Lækjargata stop instead.
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Search Engine: