Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE! I'm unable to cancel a points reservation!

HELP PLEASE! I'm unable to cancel a points reservation!

Old Apr 15, 18, 10:57 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
Posts: 141
HELP PLEASE! I'm unable to cancel a points reservation!

Note: I live in the UK and am currently Diamond.

Hope someone can help me - I'm trying to cancel a points reservation at DT Greenwich for next Saturday night but unable to do so.

It's London marathon on the Sunday and this property is located near to the start and cash prices are £300+ so would have thought they'd be pleased if I cancelled my 30,000 point room.

I've spoken to the hotel but they couldn't help but did say if I call back tomorrow someone might be able to transfer me to customer care.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Last edited by stevejnr; Apr 15, 18 at 11:02 am
stevejnr is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 11:26 am
  #2  
cjd
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 2,303
Originally Posted by stevejnr View Post
Note: I live in the UK and am currently Diamond.

Hope someone can help me - I'm trying to cancel a points reservation at DT Greenwich for next Saturday night but unable to do so.

It's London marathon on the Sunday and this property is located near to the start and cash prices are £300+ so would have thought they'd be pleased if I cancelled my 30,000 point room.

I've spoken to the hotel but they couldn't help but did say if I call back tomorrow someone might be able to transfer me to customer care.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Steve
What's the reason you can't cancel the booking? Are you outside of the cancellation period?
cjd is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:04 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,198
Did you try calling HHonors to cancel instead of the hotel directly? Because it is a points reservation, the hotel probably can't cancel it themselves.
Need is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:08 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,122
OP - Is there a deadline for cancellation which you have passed? Is this an IT problem online. Have you called Hilton rather than the property on a weekend? All of these are important facts for us to know in order to provide you useful advice.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,132
I’ve got a couple of friends doing the marathon next week and are also staying here on Saturday. They have had their room booked for a while now and when they booked there were no flexible rates available at all. Everything was pre-pay, no changes, no cancellations.
Given that’s its points it’s definitely worth phoning back tomorrow morning and asking to speak with the revenue manager. If they think they can sell the room for more than Hilton will pay them for the award night they may be quite helpful.
chrism20 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:38 pm
  #6  
cjd
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 2,303
Originally Posted by chrism20 View Post
I’ve got a couple of friends doing the marathon next week and are also staying here on Saturday. They have had their room booked for a while now and when they booked there were no flexible rates available at all. Everything was pre-pay, no changes, no cancellations.
Given that’s its points it’s definitely worth phoning back tomorrow morning and asking to speak with the revenue manager. If they think they can sell the room for more than Hilton will pay them for the award night they may be quite helpful.

Am I right in thinking that if the hotel is more than 95% occupied, Hilton pays the full price for the Award room? Seem to remember reading that or something similar previously. Just had a look at the hotel and it appears that Awards for that night can not be cancelled and it also states ".No-shows or cancellations of Reward Stay Reservations outside of the time frame set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's Best Available Rate for that date." Can that be right? The hotel gets paid by Hilton and also charges the Best Available Rate? Hotel can't lose and actually gets double the room rate!! OP should definitely ring Hilton to try and cancel asap especially as room rate is over £350. Hope it works out well for the OP.
DiverDave likes this.
cjd is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 1:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: BD
Posts: 136
That is correct, though the points are also automatically refunded when cancelled or no showed. So the hotel does not get double paid.
muzthe42nd is online now  
Old Apr 15, 18, 5:12 pm
  #8  
cjd
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 2,303
Originally Posted by muzthe42nd View Post
That is correct, though the points are also automatically refunded when cancelled or no showed. So the hotel does not get double paid.
So therefore the customer gets charged the Best Available Rate, which is in the region of £350 if he cancels or fails to show up. Definitely worth trying to negotiate with hotel or Hilton. As OP states, they can possibly manage to re-let the room if he gives them notice asap.
cjd is offline  
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,989
Not to be a wet blanket but for reservations made during a major event window, non-cancellation (forfeiture) is precisely that.
The room was sold as non-refundable / cancellable because property expects to sell-out and am also happy to sell again to walk-ups in the event of no-shows.
Given your Diamond status, the property may consider a refund of your points but that will strictly be out of goodwill so do not count on it.
The Diamond Desk typically defers to the property when the room was properly marketed and sold.
I believe I came across stories where similar policies (refund points and charge 1 night BAR) but then posters reported they managed to get properties to take points over BAR (cash).
Unfortunately, it might be SPG and not Hilton.... cannot remember off the top of my head.
Also agree with another poster that when properties have high occupancy, the points redemption are worth significantly more than a regular day
End of the day, it all depends on the property.
Do come back and let us know their decision.
PayItForward is offline  
Old Apr 16, 18, 1:57 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,982
OP - what is the deadline for cancellation in your reservation confirmation email?
Tokyoite is offline  
Old Apr 16, 18, 1:49 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
Posts: 141
Hi,
thanks for the replies, the reason I no longer need the room is due to a mate's injury so he's no longer running.

Having looked on the confirmation email, it states "SPECIAL NOTE: No-shows or cancellations of Reward Stay Reservations outside of the time frame set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's Best Available Rate for that date."

"Rate Rules and Cancellation Policy:•Your reservation is guaranteed for late arrival.•Cancellation at any time will result in a charge of one night's room and tax to the credit card you provided."
​​​​​​I've been in touch with the hotel and will see what response I get, if nothing positive then I might as well make use of the room and watch a some of the race.

​​​​​Note to self - always check cancellation policies and don't assume that award reservations can always be cancelled!

Cheers,
Steve
stevejnr is offline  
Old Apr 16, 18, 3:40 pm
  #12  
cjd
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 2,303
Originally Posted by stevejnr View Post
Hi,
thanks for the replies, the reason I no longer need the room is due to a mate's injury so he's no longer running.

Having looked on the confirmation email, it states "SPECIAL NOTE: No-shows or cancellations of Reward Stay Reservations outside of the time frame set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's Best Available Rate for that date."

"Rate Rules and Cancellation Policy:•Your reservation is guaranteed for late arrival.•Cancellation at any time will result in a charge of one night's room and tax to the credit card you provided."
​​​​​​I've been in touch with the hotel and will see what response I get, if nothing positive then I might as well make use of the room and watch a some of the race.

​​​​​Note to self - always check cancellation policies and don't assume that award reservations can always be cancelled!

Cheers,
Steve
Yes, if the hotel is not willing to let you cancel (which they're entitled to do), probably worth turning up and using the Award rather than be charged over £350. Hopefully you don't have too far to travel and can enjoy the weekend in London. It's not often Award reservations are non cancellable, but I have read on Flyertalk previously on a few occasions that it does happen.
cjd is offline  
Old Apr 18, 18, 12:32 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
Posts: 141
Good result!

Managed to speak to the hotel reservations manager who authorised the cancellation :-)

I then had to ring Hhonors and whilst I was on hold they verified what I was saying with the hotel, they then cancelled the reservation and refunded my points.

Good decision by the Hotel and Hilton as I'm likely to stay at DT Greenwich many times this year due to work.

marunouchi24, chrism20 and cjd like this.
stevejnr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: