Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Should Hampton Return To The Two-Room Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Hampton Return To The Two-Room Suite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:09 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amelorn
As have I at the HI I-75 Knoxville (service recovery super-upgrade when I was given an occupied room at 12:15 AM). The rooms were huge, but the hotel was early 90s build & original.
Actually, Hampton went to the suites thing in 1995, which is mid-90's. Wikipedia told me, and if they're wrong, kiss my ....
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
Actually, Hampton went to the suites thing in 1995, which is mid-90's. Wikipedia told me, and if they're wrong, kiss my ....
1) Location error on my part: Chattanooga.

2) This was a regular HI (not HI&S) that happened to have a suite.

3) It's not improved, which is probably why it disappeared from the portfolio.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amelorn
1) Location error on my part: Chattanooga.

2) This was a regular HI (not HI&S) that happened to have a suite.

3) It's not improved, which is probably why it disappeared from the portfolio.
Bizzare.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How come all new Hampton hotels now do studio suites and not the two-room style that debuted in the mid-90's? Should Hampton return to that style?
Well, if Hampton had theses back in the mid-90s, that was before Hampton was part of the Hilton family, right?

So it wasn't in the same hotel program as Embassy Suites back then.

But now it is.

So with Embassy Suites being the Hilton (non-extended-stay) brand for two-room suites, why is there a need for another (non-extended-stay) brand with two-room suites in the same hotel program? Today, everyone who wants two-room suites in the Hilton program can go to Embassy Suites, problem solved.

When brands are stand-alone, you can look at them stand-alone. But when brands are part of a hotel family, you have to look at them in context of the other brands in the same hotel family.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 19, 2018 at 6:15 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:19 pm

Hampton and Embassy both came from Promus hotels. As did Homewood and Doubletree.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, if Hampton had theses back in the mid-90s, that was before Hampton was part of the Hilton family, right?

So it wasn't in the same hotel program as Embassy Suites back then.

But now it is.

So with Embassy Suites being the Hilton (non-extended-stay) brand for two-room suites, why is there a need for another (non-extended-stay) brand with two-room suites in the same hotel program? Today, everyone who wants two-room suites in the Hilton program can go to Embassy Suites, problem solved.

When brands are stand-alone, you can look at them stand-alone. But when brands are part of a hotel family, you have to look at them in context of the other brands in the same hotel family.
Interesting...
Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
Hampton and Embassy both came from Promus hotels. As did Homewood and Doubletree.
Yes they did.
i [mod edit] that a two-room suite at hampton would be a nice idea for my dad's at&t job. but the studios can take care of that. otherwise, he had embassy.

Here's why Hampton needs to go back to a two-room suite even though Embassy can fix that: Embassy tends to cost more.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 1, 2020 at 9:13 pm Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's why Hampton needs to go back to a two-room suite even though Embassy can fix that: Embassy tends to cost more.
Actually, Hamptons keep going up in price (as things such as the breakfast are "improved"), and that's why HH is launching new "lower midline" brands to try to fill more or less the space that Hampton used to fill when it first joined the Hilton family.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I have stayed in lots of Hamptons, but never in a two-room Hampton suite.

I lurv the Hampton studio suites, though.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

I can respect the studios at Hampton.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Hampton is fine where it is.

Hilton already has a low market suites (Home2), mid-market suites (Embassy) and extended stay suites (Homewood). Adding another brand to the already-muddled portfolio isn't necessary.

The newer Hamptons are quite nice and are preferable to almost any HGI, outside of the breakfast offering. However, the newest HGIs (Spartanburg, etc.) are phenomenal.

Hampton's need to maintain their low-to-mid-market pricing though. More and more, I'm seeing Hamptons at or above $229/night which is absurd. One of my favorites is Valdosta, GA where they offer a manager's special with free alcoholic beverages and multiple hot snacks every night of the work week. I've been staying there 4-6 nights per quarter for the last 5 years and never paid more than $99/night. The Hampton Inn St. Charles Ave. in New Orleans is a wonderful property, but can be more expensive than the W-A Roosevelt certain weeks of the year.

io is unneeded.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Upon doing some investigation, Hampton started the suites thing in 1993. I got that info from Hilton's 100th anniversary history booklet. So I knew Wikipedia was somewhat wrong all this time.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm not sure how old it is, but the Hampton Inn & Suites in Flagstaff, AZ has proper suites. Some even have a fireplace! I've stayed in some that had a full-sized refrigerator in the kitchen.
(note there is another Hampton Inn, that only has regular rooms)
There is also a separate Embassy Suites in Flagstaff.
(I believe I stayed at a similar Hampton with full suites in Tucson, but can't recall the location)

My take on this--often when I travel, I don't want to walk forever to get inside the property, then take an elevator up 10 floors, then walk another long walk to my room. It can easily take 10 minutes to get from car to room at a normal Hilton, Embassy, or Doubletree property.
But Hampton (and Homewood) are often smaller, have more doors to the outside, and I can often be from car to room in 1-2 minutes (and I'm not afraid of using stairs or having a room on the ground floor).
For this reason, all other things being equal, I'll often book the Hampton or Homewood property -v- a, "full service," property, at least if I'm driving.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm not sure how old it is, but the Hampton Inn & Suites in Flagstaff, AZ has proper suites. Some even have a fireplace! I've stayed in some that had a full-sized refrigerator in the kitchen.
(note there is another Hampton Inn, that only has regular rooms)
There is also a separate Embassy Suites in Flagstaff.
(I believe I stayed at a similar Hampton with full suites in Tucson, but can't recall the location)

My take on this--often when I travel, I don't want to walk forever to get inside the property, then take an elevator up 10 floors, then walk another long walk to my room. It can easily take 10 minutes to get from car to room at a normal Hilton, Embassy, or Doubletree property.
But Hampton (and Homewood) are often smaller, have more doors to the outside, and I can often be from car to room in 1-2 minutes (and I'm not afraid of using stairs or having a room on the ground floor).
For this reason, all other things being equal, I'll often book the Hampton or Homewood property -v- a, "full service," property, at least if I'm driving.
Cool story, tell me more!
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:01 pm

Hampton Inn and Suites Galleria in Atlanta has two room suites as well. Last time I stayed there it was in pretty rough shape... not sure when the property was built.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Hampton Inn and Suites Galleria in Atlanta has two room suites as well. Last time I stayed there it was in pretty rough shape... not sure when the property was built.
Maybe you can look that up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.