Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do Diamond upgrades no longer exist with Hilton?

Old Mar 27, 18, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Exec Platinum, Former Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, United Silver

I can't even remember a time in the last four years that the word "upgrade" was used during check in, let alone actually getting an upgrade. Is this just a benefit that no longer realistically exists with Hilton? In general I've noticed an overall decline in the quality of Hilton products and service in the last few years. The properties are looking a little outdated, and again, I have personally not been upgraded in years. Any one else have this experience?
For background, I've been Hilton Diamond since about 2007/2008.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
There are a lot of threads on this subject.

I would expect even fewer upgrades now that diamond is a lot easier to get in the US.

I rarely get upgraded in the US but have had a few nice upgrades outside of north america.

I received a nice corner Jr. Suite for my trip in LIMA I just came back from.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lrbenko View Post
I can't even remember a time in the last four years that the word "upgrade" was used during check in, let alone actually getting an upgrade. Is this just a benefit that no longer realistically exists with Hilton? In general I've noticed an overall decline in the quality of Hilton products and service in the last few years. The properties are looking a little outdated, and again, I have personally not been upgraded in years. Any one else have this experience?
For background, I've been Hilton Diamond since about 2007/2008.
Gold upgrading in 2007 was far better than Diamond upgrading in 2018.

I've always found the quality of the main Hilton and Doubletree brands to be more variable/erratic than that of Marriott, Renaissance, Westin, or Hyatt. I don't think that's a *new* thing.

By contrast, I've generally found the quality of a Hampton, Embassy, HGI, and Homewood to be better than most of their direct competition.

Upgrades scarce at all of them, of course.

I don't ever expect big suite upgrades to come back - not with occupancy levels so high across the board and all of the elite tiers being rather easy to get for anyone who's paying attention. My only hope for HH would be that within the next year or so the OLCI and Digital Key process will get more consistent, get better at showing me all of the non-suite rooms that are bookable ahead of time, and work every time at every hotel. I guess I'm saying I'd rather see all of the little mini-upgrade possibilities and be able to pick one than have to go to the front desk, ask if any suites are available, get told no, and get sent to a crappy room.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Gold upgrading in 2007 was far better than Diamond upgrading in 2018.

I've always found the quality of the main Hilton and Doubletree brands to be more variable/erratic than that of Marriott, Renaissance, Westin, or Hyatt. I don't think that's a *new* thing.
100% agreement. The majority of Hilton's I stay with in USA, Europe and Asia just dont hold a candle to equivalent Marriott or Renaissance both in terms of hotel quality or tier (gold/diamond) treatment. It is so ludicrous there isn't any room for debate. Frankly, a lot of the Hilton's I've stayed in recently seem like they havent been updated since the early 90's and the lounges suck compared to the new M clubs.
Land-of-Miles likes this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:38 am

Programs: UA MP HH
I agree with others that say this has been discussed here many, many times. As always, it boils down to several variables...where you are staying (does that chain even have upgradeable rooms, like Embassy Suites frequently doesn't), or is upgrading a Diamond even a benefit for that brand (about half of Hilton's brands don't have Diamond upgrades as a benefit), and there is not absolute consistency amongst the hotels. Upgrade doesn't always matter to me, but when it does, I ask.

I get upgraded over 50% of the time, my Diamond history is very similar to yours, but I don't think that matters.
lrbenko likes this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
I get upgraded over 50% of the time....
Same here. No complaints.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Had my very first stay as a Diamond (via Aspire) the other day, at the AMS Hilton. Upgraded to a junior suite without asking for it (and honestly didn't care because I was in the room for maybe 6 hrs).
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
I've actually had much better luck so far this year as diamond than the past couple of years. I've been upgraded on all 5 of my stays with Hilton this year, with 4 of the 5 upgrades being from standard rooms to suites in full service properties. No complaints from me.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post

By contrast, I've generally found the quality of a Hampton, Embassy, HGI, and Homewood to be better than most of their direct competition.

Upgrades scarce at all of them, of course.

I don't ever expect big suite upgrades to come back - not with occupancy levels so high across the board and all of the elite tiers being rather easy to get for anyone who's paying attention. My only hope for HH would be that within the next year or so the OLCI and Digital Key process will get more consistent, get better at showing me all of the non-suite rooms that are bookable ahead of time, and work every time at every hotel. I guess I'm saying I'd rather see all of the little mini-upgrade possibilities and be able to pick one than have to go to the front desk, ask if any suites are available, get told no, and get sent to a crappy room.
+1 Very well said.

If I don't need a pool or resort feel, I'm almost always going to find the newest HI&S or HGI as opposed to an older Hilton, DT, etc. The newest HI&S have larger rooms, better furnishings, and a higher quality soft product than older flagship properties.

The "upgrade" language in the HH T&C is so vague ("space available", "preferred rooms", etc.) that any time you get a room you didn't book, Hilton calls it an upgrade. I recently had a stay where I believe I was downgraded (smaller room, no balcony despite booked room including a balcony, lower floor). The property argues I was upgraded because the room I was given had a "preferred view" of a nearby attraction.
lrbenko likes this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
What about a thread "Did diamond upgrades ever exist"
jamesteroh, Amelorn and lrbenko like this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver,HH Diamond
Prior to checking in, I use the Hilton app on my cell to see what the hotel still has for sale that night. On reaching the desk, I say something like, "I see you have some nice rooms available tonight. It is possible to have one of those?

Of course I ask nicely and this works much of the time.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Absolutely no problems for me securing upgrades at check-in. Virtually a 100% success rate.
Old Mar 27, 18, 1:19 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
Absolutely no problems for me securing upgrades at check-in. Virtually a 100% success rate.
Yep, me too. I donít ever stay in the US though.

With regards to quality, the vast majority of properties have a thread here, so research in advance. For example, a Standard room at the HGI London Docklands is better than a King Exec at the Hilton London Olympia (in Kensington!).
Old Mar 27, 18, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Only these properties offer Diamond upgrades "Space-available upgrade to a preferred room":

Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Conrad Hotels & Resorts
Curio
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
DoubleTree
Tapestry Collection

So it's not surprising that I don't get upgraded.
Old Mar 27, 18, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Amex Reserve/Plat
Originally Posted by Michael19887 View Post
I've actually had much better luck so far this year as diamond than the past couple of years. I've been upgraded on all 5 of my stays with Hilton this year, with 4 of the 5 upgrades being from standard rooms to suites in full service properties. No complaints from me.
Agree I am new to HH Diamond and have been very pleased with getting upgraded from basic king rooms to full suites or best available room categories on recent stays in Mexico, Chile, Argentina and domestically in SFO last month. Though I am one who prescribes completely to the philosophy that you get 100% of what you don't ask for. If a full suite/jr suite has shown available for purchase on check-in, I have simply inquired about the upgrade possibility at the counter. Worked for me 5 of 5 times on YTD stays.
-LAXHOUND

Search this Thread
Search Engine: