Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton property not accepting AMEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton property not accepting AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by CAtraveker
Having traveled around the world a few times since we retired, I can definitely say that AMEX cards are not accepted as readily as MC or Visa. I have also experienced this in the USA, even our own city. The merchants say it is because AMEX charges them 3 % or so to use their card and that is money lost.
Well, that's pretty common knowledge among card holders and FT members.

But how many Hilton (or similar chain) hotels have you come across that don't accept AMEX cards? I think the comparison to some random store or restaurant somewhere isn't a good one.
Musta Pekka likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Are there any IHG properties that don't accept MasterCard? I doubt it.
Probably not.
Once I came across the newly opened Crowne Plaza in Kunshan (China) that could not accept AMEX.
I stayed one night, I cancelled the remainder of the reservation and I moved to Lamborghini. I did not return to that CP until they fixed the AMEX issue.

Ulxima
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I just attempted to make a reservation at the Hilton Mandalay (Myanmar) and the website asked me for a different payment method. It stated on the website that this hotel did not accept my saved payment method (Hilton Amex Ascend) and that I needed to provide a different payment method (Visa or MasterCard) in order to complete the reservation. I entered a Visa credit card number but may elect to cancel the reservation since I am losing lots of Hilton points by paying with a Visa card. In any case, I am not surprised that the my Amex card may not be accepted in Myanmar.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think it’s funny when people let the tail wag the dog.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I get Amex might not be accepted at all properties, but the HGI LAX El Segundo seems a weird location to refuse Amex...
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:02 pm

Does the Mahogany Bay resort still not accept AMEX? Has anyone had success using the Hilton Aspire resort credit?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lnewman847
Does the Mahogany Bay resort still not accept AMEX? Has anyone had success using the Hilton Aspire resort credit?
I’m sure they’ll tell you if you call them.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Is it they do not accept full stop or can not take payment online.

We staying is Czech last year and the hotel was unable to take the advance purchase. They gave us an option to pay with a different card or to pay with Amex on arrival. (we took the later option).
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've definitely run into merchants/hotels/etc. that can't take certain cards online. I'm never quite sure if it's them, my banks, or just connectivity that isn't there for some other reason like with their in-country payment vendor.

But at the front desk, at a Hilton hotel, I would think that they should accept their own credit card if nothing else. That seems like a serious problem on Hilton's part if they aren't enabling and requiring all of their properties to do this.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've definitely run into merchants/hotels/etc. that can't take certain cards online. I'm never quite sure if it's them, my banks, or just connectivity that isn't there for some other reason like with their in-country payment vendor.

But at the front desk, at a Hilton hotel, I would think that they should accept their own credit card if nothing else. That seems like a serious problem on Hilton's part if they aren't enabling and requiring all of their properties to do this.
It would certainly seem odd if they didn't, but I'm not sure that acceptance of Amex is in the brand standards an owner agrees to. It would not surprise me that it is not a requirement.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I just attempted to make a reservation at the Hilton Mandalay (Myanmar) and the website asked me for a different payment method. It stated on the website that this hotel did not accept my saved payment method (Hilton Amex Ascend) and that I needed to provide a different payment method (Visa or MasterCard) in order to complete the reservation. I entered a Visa credit card number but may elect to cancel the reservation since I am losing lots of Hilton points by paying with a Visa card. In any case, I am not surprised that the my Amex card may not be accepted in Myanmar.
My experience a year ago that Amex wasn't accepted anywhere in Myanmar. Take another form of payment.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:23 pm

I had an issue booking a room at the Conrad Cartagena (before it closed) with my Hilton Amex..the website wouldn't allow it and I ended up having to use a VISA to get the reservation confirmed. Then when I arrived at check-in they said they did accept AMEX...bit strange but it got worked out.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
...also, I don't understand the logic of compensating the OP with points he's missed out on. If the property doesn't take Amex, that's the end of it.
Because the sales messaging of the Aspire card is "use at Hiltons (et al) WORLDWIDE", not "use at Hiltons worldwide except Belize".

There is no local regulation or law preventing this property from accepting AMEX and Hilton has made an explicit choice to market an AMEX card as useable at all of their properties.

The scenario is literally the same as if Hilton had chosen to partner with UnionPay* for a Chinese branded card and some US property decided they only wanted to accept AMEX/VISA/MC. Hilton would have set up an reasonable expectation and then not lived up to that expectation.

*As an aside, UnionPay actually processes through Discover in the US.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mallthus
Because the sales messaging of the Aspire card is "use at Hiltons (et al) WORLDWIDE", not "use at Hiltons worldwide except Belize".

There is no local regulation or law preventing this property from accepting AMEX and Hilton has made an explicit choice to market an AMEX card as useable at all of their properties.
What Hilton chooses to market doesn't necessarily reflect what the actual situation on the ground is. use at Hiltons World-wide means you can simply use it at Hiltons around the world. You can also use it at McDonalds worldwide. That doesn't mean that every Hilton or every McDonalds around the world has to accept Amex.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What Hilton chooses to market doesn't necessarily reflect what the actual situation on the ground is. use at Hiltons World-wide means you can simply use it at Hiltons around the world. You can also use it at McDonalds worldwide. That doesn't mean that every Hilton or every McDonalds around the world has to accept Amex.
As the franchisor, Hilton absolutely have the power (and I’d say responsibility) to ensure compliance and consistency across their system. I’ve actually run credit card related marketing communications while working at a global franchised brand and we made sure the legal line called out that there were areas where the promotion wasn’t available due to legal and banking rules. On the other hand, franchisees didn’t have a choice. They were obligated to accept the cards decided upon by the brand; their only out being if they physically or legally couldn’t comply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.