Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Benefit from 2nd guest’s gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Benefit from 2nd guest’s gold

So this is a case of my upcoming trip to Euro with my husband.
Because of my husband’s credit card offer (stay 4N 1N free), we have to use his BLUE membership (have to match the names on credit card & HH account) to book this stay. My name is added as the 2nd guest in the reservation while I’m a GOLD member.
In this case, can we still have the gold benefit? Or what can we do to have a gold benefit? Any ideas everyone?
thank you!!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mycell
Because of my husband’s credit card offer (stay 4N 1N free), we have to use his BLUE membership (have to match the names on credit card & HH account) to book this stay. My name is added as the 2nd guest in the reservation while I’m a GOLD member.
In this case, can we still have the gold benefit? Or what can we do to have a gold benefit? Any ideas everyone?
thank you!!
Do not expect any published benefits e.g. upgrade / breakfast because they aren't any for 2nd guest and only if the status(ed) member is the primary guest
Most will however tell you that there is really no harm in mentioning your status and some properties may afford you the Gold benefits out of goodwill.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
thank you!!
- Is that a direct booking through Hilton or through a third party? If it is a third party booking, it would be at a goodwill of hotel to provide you with any benefits EVEN if the reservation was made in your name.
For reservations made directly with Hilton, in the past I had no problem of switching HHONORS numbers with my wife (she is Gold and I am Diamond) upon check-in. Simply tell that the reservation should be made under your number because you are Gold. Of course, this will be up to hotel but you can ask!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- Is that a direct booking through Hilton or through a third party? If it is a third party booking, it would be at a goodwill of hotel to provide you with any benefits EVEN if the reservation was made in your name.
For reservations made directly with Hilton, in the past I had no problem of switching HHONORS numbers with my wife (she is Gold and I am Diamond) upon check-in. Simply tell that the reservation should be made under your number because you are Gold. Of course, this will be up to hotel but you can ask!
I guess it is a direct booking through the credit card centre with Hilton. As the reservation details show up automatically in the HH apps.

This will be great if they can switch our accounts too, even now there is way to share the points through the pool.
And I was thinking to try status match to make him a diamond.
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Do not expect any published benefits e.g. upgrade / breakfast because they aren't any for 2nd guest and only if the status(ed) member is the primary guest
Most will however tell you that there is really no harm in mentioning your status and some properties may afford you the Gold benefits out of goodwill.
Thank for your suggestion!
It is a birthday trip for my husband so I want to make sure it (looks) is nicely organised lol

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 19, 2018 at 10:42 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Actually, Hilton will honor benefits if a booking is made via certain portals (i.e. corporate booking portals like Concur, FHR, etc.). What they are trying to block is people using sites like hotels.com, trivago.com, etc. where commissions may be payable and the such. So it's not so cut and dried as only booking via Hilton portal (.com or telephone), but the relationship.

As for this particular situation, OP: do read the T&C closely so you meet the terms. Prior to arrival give the property a call and explain it is a special trip and you'd like their help going beyond the minimum (your status should help). At check-in, present your Gold card and mention you had to book under your spouse's name. Every time I've had a similar situation I was granted all onsite benefits for the higher status. The only thing missing was any point bonuses and the such. Very happy with the experiences.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
I guess it is a direct booking through the credit card centre with Hilton. As the reservation details show up automatically in the HH apps.
This will be great if they can switch our accounts too, even now there is way to share the points through the pool.
And I was thinking to try status match to make him a diamond.
Thank for your suggestion!
It is a birthday trip for my husband so I want to make sure it (looks) is nicely organised lol
It is great that the reservation is showing in HH app - this means that it is associated with your husband's HH number. I was asking about third party/OTA booking before because I haven't seen recently pay 4/stay 5 nights offers for paid Hilton reservations - only for reward stays.
While you can try matching to Diamond, I believe the usual offer will be a fast track which is 8 stays (?). If you are US-based, you can try
Amex Aspire that gives automatic Diamond status ($450 annual fee that is offset with some bennies).
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Actually, Hilton will honor benefits if a booking is made via certain portals (i.e. corporate booking portals like Concur, FHR, etc.). What they are trying to block is people using sites like hotels.com, trivago.com, etc. where commissions may be payable and the such. So it's not so cut and dried as only booking via Hilton portal (.com or telephone), but the relationship.

As for this particular situation, OP: do read the T&C closely so you meet the terms. Prior to arrival give the property a call and explain it is a special trip and you'd like their help going beyond the minimum (your status should help). At check-in, present your Gold card and mention you had to book under your spouse's name. Every time I've had a similar situation I was granted all onsite benefits for the higher status. The only thing missing was any point bonuses and the such. Very happy with the experiences.

it’s so nice that our status is recognised. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

It is great that the reservation is showing in HH app - this means that it is associated with your husband's HH number. I was asking about third party/OTA booking before because I haven't seen recently pay 4/stay 5 nights offers for paid Hilton reservations - only for reward stays.
While you can try matching to Diamond, I believe the usual offer will be a fast track which is 8 stays (?). If you are US-based, you can try
Amex Aspire that gives automatic Diamond status ($450 annual fee that is offset with some bennies).
Thanks for your reply!
We base in Hong Kong and this offer is from his credit card. I wish there is such hilton-associated card in HK giving high status too (one Amex in HK gives Gold only)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
My wife (at the time Diamond) and I (Lifetime Diamond) had a three night points stay at a European Hilton last month; the reservation was in my wife’s name.

At check-in the receptionist advised we had been upgraded due to my wife’s status. When I happened to mention my own status (backed up by my card) the receptionist said ‘in that case I will further upgrade you’ - so we got a suite for the price of a standard room.

So it doesn’t do any harm to highlight the status of both parties. As of yesterday my wife’s Lifetime Diamond status has been confirmed via a Hilton email - so let’s see what benefits two Lifetime Diamonds checking in to the same room brings!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
My wife (at the time Diamond) and I (Lifetime Diamond) had a three night points stay at a European Hilton last month; the reservation was in my wife’s name.

At check-in the receptionist advised we had been upgraded due to my wife’s status. When I happened to mention my own status (backed up by my card) the receptionist said ‘in that case I will further upgrade you’ - so we got a suite for the price of a standard room.

So it doesn’t do any harm to highlight the status of both parties. As of yesterday my wife’s Lifetime Diamond status has been confirmed via a Hilton email - so let’s see what benefits two Lifetime Diamonds checking in to the same room brings!
Probably room for a giraffe or at least a helipad
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
at the very least.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:26 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
at the very least.
While we know how both you and Mrs got the status (151+ months, 657+ weeks, 4,605 days at the Hilton Cairo World Trade Centre Residences), I won't be surprise that some staff might wonder how the two of you are making things work if you had both been staying at hotels for 1,000 + nights each.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:43 am

While we know how both you and Mrs got the status (151+ months, 657+ weeks, 4,605 days at the Hilton Cairo World Trade Centre Residences), I won't be surprise that some staff might wonder how the two of you are making things work if you had both been staying at hotels for 1,000 + nights each.
Your knowledge is impressive - actually total nights at all Hilton properties for self and wife is approximately 3,000 and 2,000+ respectively.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:35 pm

Your knowledge is impressive - actually total nights at all Hilton properties for self and wife is approximately 3,000 and 2,000+ respectively.
Well, you gave us such an interesting thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28883586-post41.html
Wouldn't it would be interesting if the program is capable of showing member's annual / lifetime ranking (against others) by nights and by spent?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Well, you gave us such an interesting thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28883586-post41.html
Wouldn't it would be interesting if the program is capable of showing member's annual / lifetime ranking (against others) by nights and by spent?
just read this thread! Impressive😮

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.