Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton commercial touting "break on breakfast"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

Have seen this a couple of times today. They don't specify what it exactly means, but if they start giving breakfast to everyone (not just Diamonds and Golds) - another devaluation?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You probably saw some ads for the "weekend getaway" package that they have been promoting recently. It is a separate rate.
Weekend Getaway - Exclusive Offers - Hilton Explore | Hilton Explore
Weekend Getaway
Weekend Getaway
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You probably saw some ads for the "weekend getaway" package that they have been promoting recently. It is a separate rate.
Weekend Getaway - Exclusive Offers - Hilton Explore Hilton Explore
Weekend Getaway
Weekend Getaway
I'm not sure....this was during March Madness basketball games, they didn't mention weekends or Doubletrees or foreign destinations?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm not sure....this was during March Madness basketball games, they didn't mention weekends or Doubletrees or foreign destinations?
I've seen a number of Hilton commercials for the weekend getaway recently touting free breakfast. One of the links above is for all hilton properties. Even places with free breakfast are offering the package with free breakfast.
Weekend Getaway
Weekend Getaway
Weekend Getaway
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Only in the world of high-status elites would a hotel chain giving everyone free breakfast be a devaluation...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Only in the world of high-status elites would a hotel chain giving everyone free breakfast be a devaluation...
Why wouldn't it be? If one of the published perks of being Gold or Diamond is getting free breakfast, if they are giving it to everyone during whatever this promotion is, how is that not a take-away?
jacobguo likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:22 pm

Why wouldn't it be? If one of the published perks of being Gold or Diamond is getting free breakfast, if they are giving it to everyone during whatever this promotion is, how is that not a take-away?
If they aren't taking *your* breakfast away and giving it to someone else, what are you losing? Exclusivity?
Often1, Srisarin, Yllanes and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all the product of people falling for the marketing hype associated with the word "elite". People actually begin to believe that they are elite and it bugs them when mere commoners are treated the same.
Yllanes and BearX220 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
This is all the product of people falling for the marketing hype associated with the word "elite". People actually begin to believe that they are elite and it bugs them when mere commoners are treated the same.
No, it is a tangible cash benefit (not having to pay for breakfast) by qualifying for that status.
nlkm9 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:32 pm

No, it is a tangible cash benefit (not having to pay for breakfast) by qualifying for that status.
And it is a common promotion tactic to temporarily give something with a nominal cost away for free in order to attract new or incremental business. Even better when the perceived value is significantly higher than the incremental increase in hard cost for providing it.
eponymous_coward and Srisarin like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, how closely were you paying attention? Breakfast of at least some sort is free for all at Hampton, at Homewood Suites, and Home 2 Suites, at Embassy Suites, and I'm not sure that that's the complete list. And then there are rates that include breakfast at other brands.

So what exactly and completely did they mention? Did you happen to catch it on a DVR so you can review it (with pause where needed in case there's fine print on screen)?

I'm wondering if you misheard / misread something that was passing by quickly? If I google "Hilton break on breakfast ad", all that it finds is this thread which i'm already reading, as if you're the only person in the world so far who's noticed it (if it's really saying that) .
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 18, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
... but if they start giving breakfast to everyone (not just Diamonds and Golds) - another devaluation?
Really? Are you afraid they will give your breakfast to someone else? This is not a devaluation even if they do have a promotion to give breakfast away for free.
eponymous_coward and Srisarin like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Come on.

One, breakfast is not a finite / scarce benefit. Giving it away in a promotion does not mean no eggs left for you.

Two, as the "elite program" makes anyone Gold for $95 and Diamond for $450 (e.g. less than the price of one night's stay in some big-city Hiltons), Honors is already objectively ridiculous as a loyalty-reward instrument -- so it's a bit silly to complain about this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Ok, I get it...not only am I wrong but I probably misheard anyway. And plenty of Soup left for me.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:27 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I don't know whether any US properties do this, but I've stayed in some Hiltons outside the US where the cheapest available rate at the time I booked had breakfast included, and yes I did feel slightly cheated out of my status benefits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.