Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Another (Silent) Hilton Devaluation

Another (Silent) Hilton Devaluation

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 13, 18, 11:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mster
Wiki Link
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 12, 18, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Happened within past week or so. Standard Reward doubled at a hotel I stayed and was planning to book again. I guess Hilton doesn`t think it has to announce any devaluation since there is no more categories? Not cool.

No more 5K points hotels, all starts with 10K now.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 15, 18 at 6:01 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 13, 18, 7:45 am

Programs: SQ(*G), LH(*S), A3(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Kat007 View Post
No more 5K points hotels, all starts with 10K now.
You may be right about this - even Hampton Minsk is showing 10K.
Old Mar 13, 18, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
You may be right about this - even Hampton Minsk is showing 10K.
When announcing how great the program will be in 2018, they didn`t say a word about removing 5K hotels and doubling some 10K and 20K ones.
It will soon be like Zimbabwe currency.
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
This is why there is no incentive whatsoever to save up points and why I redeem on a regular basis

On a different note, its been years since I have seen a 5K here in the US or eve 10K, now 20K is the lowest I see
stevie, hugolover, Sisosig and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 15, 18 at 6:02 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:19 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

See Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul00 View Post
So removing 5K without announcement is a perk now?
From HH Rep on FT: "But you can rest assured about the value of your Points." Not true at all.
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:30 am

Programs: HH Gold, WN RR + CP
Sorry to hear about your loss. What are the cash rates you have historically seem at these 5,000 point properties? Using a value of $.005/pt you've been getting a room for $25 USD.

I'll still primarily stay with my strategy of using point redemptions for 5th night free stays. Have one upcoming in at the Tampa Hampton Inn & Suites that is for 5 nights and the points cost me $600. The other thing I like about point redemptions is that you avoid the 13+% room taxes.
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Hilton Diamond
A quick search shows that in Istanbul there are still 3 hotels at 5,000 points a night, so it doesn't look like the 5K hotels have gone everywhere
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by birdiedouble View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. What are the cash rates you have historically seem at these 5,000 point properties? Using a value of $.005/pt you've been getting a room for $25 USD.

I'll still primarily stay with my strategy of using point redemptions for 5th night free stays. Have one upcoming in at the Tampa Hampton Inn & Suites that is for 5 nights and the points cost me $600. The other thing I like about point redemptions is that you avoid the 13+% room taxes.
Easily $60 -$80 per 5K.
I see some other people were taken by surprise when they saw that there is no more 5K, yet Hilton didn`t bother to announce that they were devaluing their program once again. Sneaky!

Originally Posted by englisha View Post
A quick search shows that in Istanbul there are still 3 hotels at 5,000 points a night, so it doesn't look like the 5K hotels have gone everywhere
They are gone - 61 out of 65. And quite a few doubled from 10K.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 15, 18 at 6:03 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:51 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat, IHG G, Dusit Gold
yeah noticed this as well... luckily i booked some nights for early 2019 already
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kat007 View Post
They are gone - 61 out of 65. And quite a few doubled from 10K.
Not sure where you are searching, but In addition to IST, my quick search found Bali Airport, Hurgahda, Lasi and Sighisora (Romania) and Sharm El Sheikh still at 5K... Not saying there isnt a devaluation happening and that properties aren't increasing the points needed, but 5K properties aren't completely gone
Old Mar 13, 18, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by Miesque View Post
On a different note, its been years since I have seen a 5K here in the US or eve 10K, now 20K is the lowest I see
Hampton Inn at Columbus GA airport was 5K, but seems to have become a Baymont Inn sometime recently. That may have been the last US property for 5K per night.

I still see a couple of 10K properties.
Old Mar 13, 18, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by englisha View Post
Not sure where you are searching, but In addition to IST, my quick search found Bali Airport, Hurgahda, Lasi and Sighisora (Romania) and Sharm El Sheikh still at 5K... Not saying there isnt a devaluation happening and that properties aren't increasing the points needed, but 5K properties aren't completely gone
Hilton started this new silent devaluation gradually from January 2018. The last "batch" when 5K jumped to 10K happened around 7-8 of March (of course, without any announcement). Watch out for the remaining few you found, as they will be gone very soon.
Old Mar 13, 18, 11:37 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Hilton honors representative.....your thoughts please on this?
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 13, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
So is this how they compensate and pay for the new Amex cards with 7x/12x/14x points on properties? I don't pay much attention to HHonors to be honest, but they aren't encouraging me to change my mind.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: