Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by B3nder
Yes less than $450 unless your upgrade coincided exactly with your cardmember anniversary date. For example if you upgraded from an ascend card and July (3 months from now) was the anniversary date it would play out something like this:
you'd receive a credit of 3/12*95 = $23.75. You'd be charged a prorated AF of 3/12*450 = $112.5. Then every future July you would be charged the $450.

Where it gets complicated --
Airline credit: is calendar year based, so it doesn't matter when you upgraded, it is every year (2019, 2020, etc)
$250 resort credit: Is based on anniversary date of when you upgraded, will reset each 12 months (April?).
weekend night: you'll first get one in a few weeks. Then, you'll get another a few weeks after your original account open date every year (July, starting with this July in example).

For the credits' timing you would have to read the terms on your upgrade offer, but I think that's what they were as of a few months ago, I don't see the references to the upgrade treatment in the new card terms.
I don't know the anniversary date. Mine was the no fee Hilton card from Citi changed to Amex a year ago maybe. I got a letter saying " On or after May 13,2019, my AF will be charged , prorated AF, based on time remaining until your next Account anniversary date". . May13th is ANNIVERSARY DATE? if yes what will be AF be? My card to switched to Aspire on March 24th. Thank you
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:55 pm

You could do any of:
look at old bills to see when the AF was last charged
call and ask the date
look at the expiration month on your credit card (generally that is the opening month).

No, it is not saying your anniversary day is May. They are just saying it will take a statement or two until they apply the prorated credit (if any) from the prior product and charge the prorated fee for the new card.

Your cardmember anniversary date will stay the same as it already was. Your $450 AF will be charged each year based on that original cardmember anniversary date. The $250 Hilton resort credit will reset on the cardmember anniversary date. You will receive an additional weekend night cert shortly after this anniversary date each year.

Edit: Edited to correct incorrect $250 resort reset date.

Last edited by B3nder; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:25 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:24 am

You could do any of:
look at old bills to see when the AF was last charged
call and ask the date
look at the expiration month on your credit card (generally that is the opening month).

No, it is not saying your anniversary day is May. They are just saying it will take a statement or two until they apply the prorated credit (if any) from the prior product and charge the prorated fee for the new card.

I believe Your cardmember anniversary date will stay the same as it already was. But, the $250 Hilton credit will reset each year on your "upgrade anniversary date", which is probably the day after you applied for the upgrade.
it really doesn't matter if you don't know the cardmember anniversary date, that would just tell you when to expect the weekend night rewards to be issues and the AF to be charged in future years.
I've been told repeatedly by AMEX reps that the upgrade credit is tied to the original anniversary date, not to the upgrade anniversary date. I've been told that I am "lucky" as to the timing of my upgrade because, although the annual fee will be prorated, the upgrade credit will not. I'll report back when/if this happens.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:53 am

I reviewed the terms from the upgrade offer that I had saved to pdf. I had confused it with Chase SW Priority terms (For SW $75 credit) for upgrades and had the hilton resort $250 reset dates wrong. I am also editing my prior post.

The only "special circumstance" on upgraded aspire vs a "new card" aspire is that you WILL receive a weekend night a few weeks immediately after you upgrade, so you will have 2 certificates that are active for some overlap of time that you can use together if you wish on the same weekend.

Both the next weekend night and the $250 hilton credit will reset each year on the original account open date's anniversary. Your annual fee (after the initial proration) will post each year based on the original account open date.
The airline $250 credit has a different reset/renewal date - It resets on January 1 each year.

Edit: updated after I reviewed terms.

Last edited by B3nder; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:48 pm

There was no confusion as to which of the credits it was and each time I was put on hold for quite awhile as they confirmed with their supervisors, but we will see in a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by taxatty56
There are several in Orlando, all near Disney. We just stayed at the somewhat dated but very nice Doubletree Guest Suites near Disney Springs and the resort credit only took one day to post.
Hilton Orlando (near the Convention Center) is one; I stayed there a couple weeks ago for a conference on a reservation booked through the conference. They deposit their reservations into the hotel's system and record HHonors (or other loyalty) numbers with them; the reservation appeared in Hilton's system a couple weeks before the stay and earned points as if it were made through Hilton.com and got the resort credit right away. (Not that it actually matters if the reservation were made directly, but getting the Honors number in there right away is nice.) One night's reservation charges were billed a week ahead as a deposit and that transaction triggered the resort credit. (Also the Aspire card had a $50 promo for a Hilton charge above a certain amount and the charge triggered that; the $250 credit and $50 credit actually exceeded the amount of the charge but neither AMEX nor Hilton care.) A special bonus of the stay was no resort fee--the agreement with the conference for the rate took care of that.

It was pleasantly surprising how instant and painless the process was. With the annual fee prorated from converting from the Ascend, the card has paid for itself this year.

Last edited by UAzip; Apr 10, 2019 at 8:30 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:54 pm

I'm happy to report another positive trigger of a resort credit for a resort listed on the resort link only by map and not by any other searchable feature.

I stayed 5 nights at El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort between Mar 31 and April 4.

Check out date: Apr 4
Hilton Aspire Card charged: Apr 4
Resort Credit statement hit: Apr 7

Notes:
-This resort is not listed under a state search, but can be seen on the map and also on the exhaustive master search via scrolling the screen.

-I used a different Visa card to prepay the deposit. When I arrived I had all other charges held on my Aspire card. The bill was split between my Aspire card and that Visa card. Total bill was $1500 with $1300 of it on the Aspire card

-On Apr 3rd, 1 day before checkout, Amex offers had a $50 statement credit offer for a resort stay of $250+. I added it on April 3. Statement credit for this offer hit Apr 6. This indicates that you can add offers while you have pending charges on the card and still get the offers credit as it is predicated on a final charge.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by mdosu
On Apr 3rd, 1 day before checkout, Amex offers had a $50 statement credit offer for a resort stay of $250+. I added it on April 3. Statement credit for this offer hit Apr 6. This indicates that you can add offers while you have pending charges on the card and still get the offers credit as it is predicated on a final charge.
Excellent, that worked out well for you. Thanks for the blow by blow! Very neat to see you can add that offer during your stay, rather than, 'oh sorry, you had to add it before your stay.'
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by daloosh
Excellent, that worked out well for you. Thanks for the blow by blow! Very neat to see you can add that offer during your stay, rather than, 'oh sorry, you had to add it before your stay.'
its an amex offer..... The charge posting date is all that matters.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
are there any hotels in Hawaii that charge a deposit for a refundable booking?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:12 pm

I booked a hotel at Breckenridge (refundable) for the month of Nov and it triggered the $250 credit. Had a changed in plan and decided to go to Maui instead. I will be in WA Grand Wailea in June. Using my 3 free weekend certs. What is the best way to proceed to make sure I don't lose the resort credit. Should I cancel Breckenridge hotel now and if Amex takes the credit back but I will be using for WA Grand Wailea. Will I get the $250 credit again? Or it is best that I wait after my June stayed and charged $250 worth and then cancel BBreckenridge?
In addition, I have two Aspires. I assume I can request the hotel to split my charges on two cards, right?

Last edited by Flyingwith5; Apr 13, 2019 at 5:29 pm Reason: Had wrong hotel name.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingwith5
I booked a hotel at Bonnet Creek for the month of Nov and it triggered the $250 credit. Had a changed in plan and decided to go to Maui instead. I will be in WA Grand Wailea in June. Using my 3 free weekend certs. What is the best way to proceed to make sure I don't lose the resort credit. Should I cancel Bonnet Creek hotel now and if Amex takes the credit back but I will be using for WA Grand Wailea. Will I get the $250 credit again? Or it is best that I wait after my June stayed and charged $250 worth and then cancel Bonnet Creek?
Great question. If it were Chase, I'd say don't worry about it, they wouldn't ever even reverse the travel credit.

However, with Amex I have seen a report in another forum where they reversed a yearly credit (<$50) months after a card was already closed (many months after the return of the purchase that initially triggered the credit). And then charged late fees and sent to collections without ever communicating by phone or mail with the former cardholder. It seems like either of the paths you laid out should be fine. If they do reverse the credit, you should be able to get them to manually apply it based on the later qualifying charges if it doesn't work automatically..

Originally Posted by Flyingwith5
In addition, I have two Aspire. I assume I can request the hotel to split my charges on two cards, right?
Yes, you should be able to. However, I would watch more closely than normal that the hotel doesn't accidentally double-bill anything.

Last edited by B3nder; Apr 13, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:39 pm

Great question. If it were Chase, I'd say don't worry about it, they wouldn't ever even reverse the travel credit.

However, with Amex I have seen a report in another forum where they reversed a yearly credit (<$50) months after a card was already closed (many months after the return of the purchase that initially triggered the credit). And then charged late fees and sent to collections without ever communicating by phone or mail with the former cardholder. It seems like either of the paths you laid out should be fine. If they do reverse the credit, you should be able to get them to manually apply it based on the later qualifying charges if it doesn't work automatically..

Yes, you should be able to. However, I would watch more closely than normal that the hotel doesn't accidentally double-bill anything.
I probably gonna do the latter. Going to cancel the hotel after I completed the June stayed. It will be interesting since people are not seeing credit posted right away and even 8 weeks out. I will report back how this all plays out. I just hope it will be resolved before my Sept anniversary date to avoid any issue with my new $250 credit.

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 5, 2020 at 12:24 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:07 am

I asked this in a different thread, but I think this is probably the more suitable place to ask.

I am planning a stay Grand Wailea in Hawaii (a Waldorf Astoria) hotel.

On my Hilton Aspire I also have 2 offers from amex:
1) 100 off 500 at Waldorf Astoria
2) 200 off 1000 at Hilton Brands in Hawaii (not sure if WA counts as a "Hilton Brand"?)

If I spend 1000 would I qualify for both?

The terms of the Hilton Brands $200 off $1000:

"Get a one-time $200 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend $1,000+ on room rate and room charges, when you pay for your stay with Hilton brand hotels in Hawaii from 2/25/19 - 6/30/2019. Book direct with Hilton. See terms for exclusions.

Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem. Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible. Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Offer valid only at Hilton brand hotels in the state of Hawaii. Reservations must be made online at hilton dot com, via the Hilton Honors App or by calling 1-800-445-8667. Offer does not apply to advance purchase rates, including Advance Purchase, Save Now & Pay and Non-refundable rates. Excludes gift card purchases."

If I qualify for both, and I also have my $250 credit from Aspire, if I spend exactly $1,000 would I trigger all 3 of these ($100 + $200 + $250)? Or would I need to spend something like $1550 and receive $550 back?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:52 am

Amex offer

I have an Amex offer for $100 off of $500 resort room rate, however in the t&c it says does not apply to advance purchase. My question is if I book an international resort hotel advance rate it seems like it does not go through corporate instead goes through the actual resort I will be staying at so does that mean it will trigger the $100 off offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.