Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by B3nder
Properties without resort fees:
ES Mandalay Beach Resort, CA
H Pensacola Beach, FL
H Ocean City Oceanfront Suites, MD
H Virginia City Oceanfront, VA
H Galveston Island Resort, TX
DT Beach Resort Tamp Bay - North Redington, FL
H Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, NM
ES Deerfield Beach Resort & Spa, FL
H Palm Springs, CA
ES Charlotte Concord Golf Resort & Spa, NC
DT Breckenridge, CO
H San Diego/Del Mark, CA
DT Sonoma Wine Country, CA
DT Lancaster, PA
H Branson Convention Center, MO
DT Doheny Beach - Dana Point, CA
DT Karlan San Diego, CA
H Dallas/Rockwall Lakefront, TX
DT San Diego - Del Mar, CA
HGV at MarBrisa, CA
HGV Sunrise Lodge, UT
HGV McAlpin-Ocean Plaza, FL
DT Cocoa Beach Oceanfront, FL (Note says closed currently)
H The Lodge at Gulf State Park, AL
Valdoro Mountain Lodge, CO
Very helpful...thanks for compiling.

Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Javier1704
Stayed at DOUBLETREE FALLSVIEW RESORT & SPA BY HILTON. Charged to card on April 1st, posted today (April 4th). Will update on the resort fee credit accordingly.
$250 resort credit posted today.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Another peg point: We'll be staying at the Hilton Virginia Beach which charges one night as a deposit (still cancellable without penalty). That amount was for just under $250. The reservation deposit posted 4/3 and the credit posted 4/5, so virtually immediate gratification.

I initially though this would be a fairly useless AMEX benefit since our normal vacations don't tend to be resort-based, however I then realized that the three listed properties in the VA-MD-PA area (all within a couple of hours driving) offer the opportunity for a free local trip to visit the area(s).
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Pkim621
Didn't see anyone answer this question and I am wondering the same thing. Thanks!
Originally Posted by xcitech
What happens to the Hilton Aspire credit if I get a refund for the charge that triggered the credit?

I had a short window before card renewal to make use of the credit, and I made a booking with a Waldorf Astoria in Key west (Casa Marina) which charged a deposit. The deposit triggered the credit, and I have received the full $250 credit on my account. Later on, reading the reviews of the resort it seems it is not so good, and I would like to cancel the booking if the credit still stays on my account. The booking is fully refundable. Will I lose the credit? If the credit is taken back, I will effectively lose the $250 because I am on a new cardmember year now.
bump to this question
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I stayed at the HGI on Kauai for a couple of nights last week while we were having some measy renos done on our place on Oahu. Despite charging a resort fee and being in Hawaii, this isn’t considered a resort for the purpose of the resort fee credit? Quite disappointing as the credit was one of the reasons I chose it. I did check the list beforehand so not entirely surprised and as I said, this wasn’t the sole reason I chose it, but I was still hoping I’d get the credit. To me charging a resort fee should = resort fee credit eligible.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by ezak
That's why I disagree with the quote above. Whenever we make the judgment of point vs cash, it's always X points vs X total dollars out of pocket, which means room rate + tax + resort fee. Sure the $250 credit isn't worth its full amount to everyone, but the presence of a resort fee should NOT make it worth less..
Agreed completely, and I do look at the mandatory resort fee as just part of the room rate along with the taxes. It's just that, in general, the "use points vs use cash" scale tends to have an extra tip towards "points" if the property has a resort fee -- because the resort fee and taxes are not used in the dynamic points cost algorithm the points should have a higher value at the resort fee properties and be the more favorable. So if I'd usually choose to pay points rather than cash due to the cash price inflated by resort fees (making the point value "better" at the property), I'm instead paying the relatively higher / less favorable "cash" rate if I use the Aspire credit there. Not sure if that makes more sense what I'm trying to express.

IMO, this makes it most "efficient" to use the Aspire resort credit at properties you'd already be going to that also have poor point values (meaning you'd normally pick to use cash over using points). As you pointed out, places where I'd normally pick to pay with cash rather than points could still be places with resort fees, it is just a little less likely.

Of course, as the qualifying list is limited.... Compromises must be made for people only traveling a moderate amount .
I'm probably going to have a challenge finding places to use the credits as-is, and will hope to find something that qualifies that's not a detour from where I already am planning to be at and it won't matter if it's not the best value to pay cash there. I got lucky the first year by using the credit at a non-qualifying property that they approved manually, I didn't pre-plan that and won't be doing that route again..

Last edited by B3nder; Apr 7, 2019 at 11:42 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Is there a way to tell when your yearly $250 resort credit restarts without contacting American Express?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Finkface
I stayed at the HGI on Kauai for a couple of nights last week while we were having some measy renos done on our place on Oahu. Despite charging a resort fee and being in Hawaii, this isn’t considered a resort for the purpose of the resort fee credit? Quite disappointing as the credit was one of the reasons I chose it. I did check the list beforehand so not entirely surprised and as I said, this wasn’t the sole reason I chose it, but I was still hoping I’d get the credit. To me charging a resort fee should = resort fee credit eligible.
This Aspire benefit is, to use the official Amex terms, a "$250 Hilton Resort Statement Credit." It is not a Hilton resort fee credit, and whether or not a hotel charges a resort fee is irrelevant and has no bearing on whether the property is or isn't eligible for this credit. Only properties listed at the Hilton resorts link are eligible; there are tons of properties in the Hilton portfolio that may seem "resort-ish", but if they're not listed at the Hilton resorts link then you won't get the credit.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:08 am

I realized the other day that I haven't yet used the $250 resort fee credit on my Amex Aspire, and my annual fee is coming up in about a week. Last night, I bought an Advanced Purchase rate (with dinner included) at the Hilton Dead Sea Resort in Jordan (it's listed on the Hilton.com/resorts page). I noticed today that they haven't yet charged my card for the advanced purchase rate. Do you all know when advanced purchase rates are charged? I just want to make sure it is charged before my Aspire renewal date in a week. Could I call the hotel directly and ask them to send the charge through? Thanks so much for the help!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mathwizard314
Could I call the hotel directly and ask them to send the charge through? Thanks so much for the help!
Absolutely, call the hotel directly and ask them to process the charge immediately.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This Aspire benefit is, to use the official Amex terms, a "$250 Hilton Resort Statement Credit." It is not a Hilton resort fee credit, and whether or not a hotel charges a resort fee is irrelevant and has no bearing on whether the property is or isn't eligible for this credit. Only properties listed at the Hilton resorts link are eligible; there are tons of properties in the Hilton portfolio that may seem "resort-ish", but if they're not listed at the Hilton resorts link then you won't get the credit.
699 posts ago this credit seemed like a simple concept to grasp.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
699 posts ago this credit seemed like a simple concept to grasp.
Unfortunately people don't like reading.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:52 pm

Upgraded to this card recently and I got a letter saying " On or after May 13,2019, my AF will be charged , prorated AF, based on time remaining until your next Account anniversary date".

I don't know what that means. Anyone know will it be $450 or less or what amount?

Regarding the $250 resort credit, what's the best time, I mean date or month to book a room at hilton resort hotel paid with this card? I get only 1 credit?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Upgraded to this card recently and I got a letter saying " On or after May 13,2019, my AF will be charged , prorated AF, based on time remaining until your next Account anniversary date".

I don't know what that means. Anyone know will it be $450 or less or what amount?

Regarding the $250 resort credit, what's the best time, I mean date or month to book a room at hilton resort hotel paid with this card? I get only 1 credit?
Can't speak to the upgrade issue but about the $250 credit, I don't understand your question.
You get $250 to spend at Hilton resorts over the year. You do not have to do it all at once. There is no good date or month. There are over two hundred properties; some are more expensive in summers, some in winter, some on Tuesdays in months ending in R.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 8, 2019 at 4:47 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven

Yes less than $450 unless your upgrade coincided exactly with your cardmember anniversary date. For example if you upgraded from an ascend card and July (3 months from now) was the anniversary date it would play out something like this:
you'd receive a credit of 3/12*95 = $23.75. You'd be charged a prorated AF of 3/12*450 = $112.5. Then every future July you would be charged the $450.

Where it gets complicated --
Airline credit: is calendar year based, so it doesn't matter when you upgraded, it is every year (2019, 2020, etc), on Jan 1 you get a new $250 airline credit allocation.
$250 resort credit: Is based on anniversary date of when you opened your original card, will reset each 12 months (You'll have $250 credit available immediately, and then you will have your next year's $250 available in July in this example).
weekend night: you'll first get one in a few weeks. Then, you'll get another a few weeks after your original account open date every year (July, starting with this July in example).

For the credits' timing you would have to read the terms on your upgrade offer, but I think that's what they were as of a few months ago, I don't see the references to the upgrade treatment in the new card terms.

Edit: Edited to correct incorrect $250 resort reset date.

Last edited by B3nder; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.